If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

John Bunch & his locos currently based on the Mid Hants

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Tom Desmond, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What would you call it then, as the NRM can"t afford to buy it!

2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Sorry do you work for the NRM accounts department! If you do work for them maybe you could enlighten us on what they can afford to purchase?

3. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Touchy tsk tsk......

4. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Thanks for the write up, will pass that on to my Dad. For some reason I had decided to go off and play cricket that day so it is my brother who is in the last clip with my Mum and my Dad filming.

5. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I would call it a loco not going to the NRM. Some have suggested it would be nice, that is all.

6. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Totally agreed Chris, the amount of money needed to restore it would probably mean that someone of say Jeremy Hoskings calibre would be required.

We can live in hope that maybe he might offer JB an offer he cant refuse, but I very much doubt it.

Incidentally the link with 31874 and the NRM was mooted years ago.

If my memory serves me correct, one of the national railway magazines ran a story claiming that an approach had been made to JB and was rebuffed. It was around about 1979/81.

Have a Happy New Year Chris and keep up the good work at Ropley C&W.

7. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Yes and No but not really - it is around long enough to be considered a resident put it that way.

8. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

This is quite an extraordinary thread because I'm sure the man himself is reading it and having a good christmas chuckle at all the innacurate speculation. But what if he isn't? Perhaps he might even be contributing himself using an alias, though probably he isn't..... Perhaps he is me...... Perhaps he isn't.
    The point is that while most of the threads on this site concern groups, or locos, or organisations, I don't think it is healthy or polite or fair to run a thread concerning the personal intentions and actions of an individual who is unable to respond himself by forum convention and protocol (and simple common sense), so should we bring this thread to a close?
    (btw I am not JB - Last time I saw him (some years ago) he still had a fine head of hair , while my alias indicates I am deficient in that department).

9. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Why is 31874 considered to be a hopeless case beyond the abilities of heritage railways? New boiler barrels aren't exactly the most difficult or expensive things to produce and several locos have already had them. Similarly, large chunks of frame have been fitted to several and the amount of new builds with new frames shows that even this is not difficult or hugely expensive, especially if you.ve got all the add-ons.
    Any ex BR loco that has gone through two 'ten-year' boiler periods and well-used is likely to need expensive repairs of this nature.

10. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

How can i put this, As a person, i have no problem with JB, i always found him ok to get on with, but i was just another member of the loco dept , this isnt about him as a person, its about his engines, in hindsite, what went on only hurt everyone there was and can be no winners in that, but time moves on, the persons involved have i hope moved on,, yes there is speculation and a lot that we as mere spectators do not, and should not know that might be happening, in time i am sure all will be revealed , As a foot note, the last time i saw JB and John gibbons was at folkestone whilst watching Tangmere, they did actually remember me, Life as they say moves on.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Its a discussion forum. We discuss things. I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing what is already in the public domain.

12. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks for posting that Ashley as it brings back memories of very Happy Days on the ML with the MHR Daylight Railtours. That trip was one of the few that I didn't go on but 73096 was always on top form.

13. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

"THings" yes, but individuals I think is inappropriate. JB himself is not "In the Public Domain" - his locos are. He is a private individual. There's nothing wrong with discussing the condition of individual locos but a forum is not really appropriate to discuss the actions or intentions of an individual who is not in a position to correct errors and fallacious statements that may or may not occur. Would you like it?

14. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

I think that JB is probably having a chuckle or two if he is reading this thread.
    Now I dont know the gentleman but I would like to think that he has no problem with this thread as it is mainly speculation. Also it has not become personal...which is good to see...

Also I dare say that he has a good idea or know what is going to happen to said locos when their agreement expires with the MHR...be it that they might stay or move to pastures new.

15. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

16. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

I am not saying it isn`t beyond the capabilities of any established heritage railway to restore 31874.
    I am actually very optimistic about the N`s future unlike some of the doom laden forum members who post that it is a basket case/hulk.

In fact if the loco was staying at the MHR beyond 2014, I am sure the boiler would already be in Ropley works as we speak and as for frame repairs whats being done to the front end of 30506 at the moment, shows that the MHR could tackle that as well.

However the work will not be that cheap and it will be revealed in the fullness of time whether or not the current owner can afford to put the loco through a new 10 year overhaul.

17. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Ialso think that it will steam again one day, but you must wonder about your last statement, i would actually agree with you it looks that way, but we can only speculate but the repairs needed to any of the locos inquestion are well with in the capabilities of Ropley, but if i was a betting man i think that we might see 31874 and 31625 ending up at herston,

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Gentle reminder, can we keep to the engines.

the individual and his family are not really appropriate.

19. Jake MHR

Jake MHR New Member

the 3 southern locos will be going to swanage whilst bodmin is going mainline and 73096 is still unconfirmed

20. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.