If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Jim Evans - Master Locoman

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by Big Al, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    On a memorable weekend a little over 48 years ago, I had my final run with Jim Evans on the Southern. It is, perhaps, rather selective to single him out amongst all those great enginemen of Nine Elms and elsewhere but he holds a particular place in my heart as when steam ended, he and I worked on his footplate stories prior to him publishing them in a couple of books.

Amongst many other things, he was a master of the vacuum brake with the ability to bring a train to a stand quickly (in the right place!) through a single brake application. He holds my record for the fastest time from Woking to Waterloo - 24¼ miles, start to stop in 24 minutes dead. This was with 34100 on an up Salisbury semi fast. We were inside even time by Walton on Thames but the trick was, of course, the last leg from Wimbledon that he managed in 9 minutes 10 seconds including a max of 65 at Nine Elms but with regulation speeds around Clapham, Vauxhall and the entry to Waterloo.

His final run with me was the 0830 to Weymouth on June 17th 1967. This was also his last main line trip as for the final three weeks of steam he was on a course. There was of course, a TSR en route, but he reminded us what a Merchant Navy could do, plus some!

We had the free steaming 35007 with 11 on and were through Woking in only 26 and a half minutes. Jim then blasted up to Milepost 31 with speed at the top only 1 mph slower than at Woking. We were inside even time by Fleet and bowling along at 80 but there then followed a TSR and a succession of signal checks resulting in the eight miles from Hook to Worting taking over 11 minutes. However the next sixteen miles to the Winchester stop were interesting.

From passing Worting at around 30 mph this leg took 15 minutes including the climb up to Roundwood that we crested at 68. I assume that at this point Jim didn't ease back the regulator as we were up to 90 by Wallers Ash and hit 95 just before Winchester Junction. From here to the station is just under two and a quarter miles. We covered this in a little over two and a quarter minutes. I recall the brakes coming on hard but as always seems to be the case, the scenery continued to flash by. However we passed the platform ramp at a much reduced pace as the brake was finally eased before we came to a gentle stop exactly where we were supposed to. As I said, Jim was a master of the brake. Just under 68 minutes against a booked 71, or 62 net.

The next opportunity for something quick was after Southampton. There were no checks or TSR's and we flew down to Bournemouth hitting the high eighties down Hinton Admiral bank before being held outside the station in just outside even time. Arrival into Bournemouth was five early.

As final flings go, this was a good one.