If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Jeremy Hosking is after another BR Standard.........................

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by green five, Oct 26, 2011.

1. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Of course we're all assuming that Mr. Hoskings is the only bidder?

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    From the thread I didn't think the loco was for sale full stop, it is just that this offer has been made which would see the loco back in steam and kept on the SVR. I think reading between the lines this could be an acceptable scenario to the present owning group whereas a sale to any other party could mean the loco moves on which I don't think they want to see.

3. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    But if they are open to offers from one, they may be open to offers from another, subject to similar provisos. Just conjecturing out loud.

4. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

TBH I don't think there are many people around with the resources to buy and restore 80079 and I doubt they would be as flexible as Mr Hosking. If there were other people wanting to buy steam locos about then I am sure 7760 or the 38xx would have been snapped up by now as they are in far better condition than 80079 and potentially very useful locos to one of the new heritage lines or an established one. As an SVR supporter I would love to see one of them come to the SVR via a benefactor! From the HR article it would appear Jeremy has wanted a standard tank for a while and 80079 was the best option for both parties, I hope the meeting brought about a positive outcome.

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    A very important point - there are plenty of people who would like to buy one of the steam locos up for sale, but they don't have the money. 4588 and 6619 can be added to this list - the latter is in working order and a useful loco for a preserved line, but AFAIK so far no bidders have come forward. It has visited the Kent & East Sussex a couple of times, and (as I live quite near this line) it would have been good if it ended up there, but rather than buy this working engine, a working group of K&ESR members/supporters have gone for the unrestored 4253, as it presumably is a cheaper if longer-term solution to providing suitable motive power for what will one day be a 14-mile route.

Money is also a problem not just for the owning group of 80079 and 75069, but for a good few other owning groups who made heroic efforts to restore their loco(s) from Barry condition to working order, ran them until the end of the ticket but now are struggling to raise funds for a further overhaul. It will be interesting to see what the owning group decide regarding Mr Hosking's offer, but certainly in these trying economic times, it is good that he is being so active in helping keep going the sounds and sights of working steam that we all enjoy.

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Railway Herald reports that the vote was unanimously in favour of a sale to Mr Hosking, a figure of £300,000 being mentioned. Hopefully this will now mean a much quicker return for both 80079 and 75069 to SVR service.

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Yes, I saw that article, too. The figures mentioned were about £350k to buy and perhaps another £500k to overhaul. The proposal was actually reported to have been "approved by an 'overwhelming majority'", which is not quite the same thing as unanimous (sorry to be such a pedant).

One aspect mentioned in the article, that I hadn't thought of, is that the overhaul will mostly be done at Bridgenorth, so bringing even more income to the SVR.

8. D1039

D1039 Guest

9. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    If that is the figure, I just hope that the owners of all out of ticket locos needing major reapirs don't think that it is the value of such locos when the proposed buyer isn't a multi-millionaire!

Makes some past deals for working locos look liek the bargin of the century.

Steven

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The value is whatever someone is prepared to pay at the time ...

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
  12. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Apologies for being grumpy but it's a recurring theme throughout this thread...

Could people at least give this gentleman the courtesy of spelling his name correctly?

Thanks

13. matt41312

matt41312 Member

I see Steam Railway has listed 80079 as being Jeremy's 13th loco. But what are the others? I can think of 11 he either owns or has an interest in.

6024 King Edward I
    5029 Nunney Castle
    6990 Raveningham Hall
    GWR 2-8-0T
    Royal Scot
    70000 Britannia
    92212 9F
    35022 Holland America Line
    35027 Port Line
    34046 Braunton
    4496 Dominion of New Zealand (aka Bittern)

I can't think of any others right now. Any takers or have SR got it wrong?

Quite a train set by anyone's standards and thing most of us can only dream of! I'd love to be able to have two of these!

Matt

14. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    He owns a GWR 2-8-0 Tank too, I can't remember the number off the top of my head. I believe it's at the Glos Warks.

15. Kempenfelt 82e

Kempenfelt 82e New Member

I don't suppose they're not making up their own news about Blue Peter are they???........................................Silly me, of course they won't be, when has SR ever been known to do that! :p

16. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

4270 perhaps?

17. Seanoc17

Seanoc17 New Member

He is head of the Royal Scot Loco trust too. They may be counting that loco as "his"

18. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Correct it is 4270

19. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    My understanding was that whilst this locomotive's restoration was being funded by Mr Hosking but that it was owned/cared for by a group on the GWSR. Clearly it may well be that the deal for funding its restoration may incur "ownership" or overall responsibility for 4270. Someone may wish to clarify this. In any event, what matters is that 4270 (currently away from Toddington at a site in the West Midlands) is being returned to steam thanks to a very generous benefactor, who may or may not be the owner.

20. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Think you mean 4492 :wink: