If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Jeremy Hosking is after another BR Standard.........................

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by green five, Oct 26, 2011.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

A little cheer to counter the gloom! The SVR has issued a press release today saying that almost half of the 30,000 seats on its December "Santa" trains are now sold. In addition, despite finishing August with passenger numbers 5000 down on 2010, they finished September 5000 ahead. (maybe the steam gala numbers helped?) Hopefully the October numbers will look good, taking into account generally favourable weather, and a very successfull diesel gala in early October.

Due to the intensive nature of the Santa steam operation, it is thought that 80072 will be on the SVR for the duration. Quite fancy a ride behind that engine during the post-Christmas services!

2. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Or to put it bluntly: Loco Owners subsidise cheap fares for the passengers.

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Possibly, or it could be that the market will not sustain the actual costs and most loco owners run their machines for the love of it?

4. D1039

D1039 Guest

4150 I think.

7819 was SVRA Wolves Branch, now owned by The Rolling Stock Trust with the Wolves Branch having a bare share ownership, I think.

Patrick

5. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Er no - there always has been a committee in place re 4150 but progress since new committee members were elected about 3 years ago has increased considerably as can be seen on that locos website. Boiler work aside this is a volunteer project with a completed bottom end and well advanced new bunker, boiler fittings etc.

6. D1039

D1039 Guest

Apologies, I stand/type corrected

Patrick

7. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Back to costs and available workforce; tanks were fabricated by a member for just the cost of the plate (most of which was salvaged), there were some other 'issues/niggles' with the finished product but when they are virtually free you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Plan was to attach false rivets (as we did with the bunker) but time & available workforce meant we never got around to it. I was concerned that the lack of rivets would be glaring but the lining has 'hidden' it to a degree. Yes some people will moan about it but at least the engine is in steam and working. '95 isn't the only ex GW loco around with welded tanks, 4588 and one of the 42xx's (4270?) spring to mind.

A large number of woking locos are modified in some way (rocking or drop grates are a common improvement). I don't think 'preserved' is the right term for a working engine, we do what is necessary to get them into steam and keep them working within the constraints of available finance and workforce.

8. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    All we need to remember this is not a easy get your loco repaired for free when is refurbished i did read the article i did it mention the agreement ran for three years.
    So after then it may move on somewhere else the group needs to think carefully about taking the offer it might not be the only one available to them even though they are in a poor position with both there locos out of ticket and in poor condition maybe they should look to link up in a larger group with the manor group to give them resources

9. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    And I bet I'm right in saying that if someone was so desperate to see '95 with false rivets on the tanks, you would be prepared to allow them access to the loco to put them on there Nigel...!

10. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Definitely Nick; good excuse for a repaint too (no, don't start a livery debate!).

11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Well we sure as hell don't do it with any hope of ever making a profit that's for sure.

12. 92143

92143 New Member

Retired
    It would be great to see 80079 back out on the main line again. When she went to Exeter for I think the GW 150 celebrations or was it 175 with 80080 they were able to take us along lines rarely used by steam - Barnstaple - Exmouth - Okehampton by top and tailing and no need for a diesel to drag us back again, as well as heading west along the coast. Finally when it was all over and they left the sight of them storming through Tiverton Parkway double headed to attack the last part of the eastbound climb to Whiteball Tunnel was one of the finest sights I have ever seen on the main line. So lets hope this does come to fruition and 80079 can be enjoyed again both at the SVR and on the main line, would it be to much to hope for, double headed again with another of her kind.

13. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Here's a reminder of what we're missing on the main line. 80079 and 80080 taken around the time of the 1994 Exeter Rail Fair.

1217-019.jpg 1217-020.jpg 1217-021.jpg 1217-022.jpg 1217-028.jpg 1217-032.jpg 1217-033.jpg

14. Tobbes

Tobbes Member

And if they were running in reverse, would that make them double headed Pacifics? : )

15. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Or Bunker to bunker you would have an 8mt that didnt need turning, with the locos sharing the work you would maximisese the range... would you get away with full crew on the pilot engine only and 1 man plus a support crew man firing on the train engine ?
    think ill stop now before the idea to stick a 'tender' between them comes out...

16. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    How about their chassis cleared to running plate level coupled permanently back to back with a new big boiler slung between them on a central articulated carrier? They could be the start of a new class maybe named after famous singers? The first one so built could be named Lesley GARRETT!

17. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    One I will never forget was 80079/80080 with 12 on up Talerddig what a noise.

As to Jeremy Hosking and 80079 my first reaction was to be apalled but, on reflection due to him saying he will keep it on the valley, why not?. The thing to remember is that all any of us can ever be is a steward. These engine need to be held in trust for the next generation who hopefully will pick up the baton.
    I believe that Tyseley is set up in such a way.
    The SVR lost 4141 due to a divorce settlement so one owner can in some circumstances can cause problems.
    So if 80079 is sold to Jeremy Hosking and stays on the railway to do occasional forays onto the mail line then I wish him all the best and if it brings 75069 back quickly then so much the better.
    Why should it be limited to 60mph a precedent has already been set with with 80098 passed for 75mph, these are capable go anywhere locos that will pull a good load at speed and no need to worry about turntables.

I would say that ideally you need two then you can go anywhere with 12 on

18. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    There ought still to be a potential market for a main line registered 4MT tank - i.e. shorter trips or shuttles. These engines are second to none for such workings - strong, speedy and not needing a turntable. I remember 80098 doing a series of Maidstone West-Tonbridge shuttles in 1999, and 80079 and 80080 on the Folkestone Harbour branch in 1994. Nowadays, so many main line steam trips are really quite a marathon, especially if you take a non-enthusiast wife along with you. Great fun to be belting along at 75mph or slogging up a steep gradient with 12 on and a pacific up front, as part of a 200-300 mile day out behind steam, but it's often a case of up before 7am and not back until 11 or so, especially if you don't live near a pick-up point. I can't believe I am unique in wishing for some shorter days out every now and then. If 80079 under Jeremy Hosking can combine being a member of the SVR fleet with working shuttles on the main line every now and then, it sounds like a good arrangment.

19. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I was pretty convinced 80079 was passed for 75mph, certainly she did several trips with 80098. I see no reason why she shouldn't be passed anyhow. As for potential, 80079 has worked over many of the Welsh lines, worked down to Exeter and Paignton as mentioned, as well as trips around the Midlands. I would suggest there is plenty of opportunities for it, bringing steam back to the Central Wales line for starters!

20. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

After reading through this thread, much of which contains alot of dros about 80xxx tanks on the mainline rather than Mr Hoskings placing a bid to buy 80079. Look at the situation from the STD 4 group. Sell '79 and speed up '69s overhaul. Or wait another few years, build up more funds and then commence the overhaul, but the loco will have lost its slot within the overhaul que. IF the outcome of the meeting held on the weekend was to sell 80079 then it will benefit both SVR, Std 4 group and Mr H. It has been well reported about the SVRs loco situation, of which alot of us at Bridgnorth and Bewdley are working very hard to turn around. I for one think it will be a good thing.

Also the SVR maintains mainline standard for all the overhauls. I would love to see 80079 do a railtour along the lines of the itinerary that 9466 and 9600 did around the West Midlands.

We shall wait and see what the outcome was from the weekends meeting......