If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

J39 REBUILD PROJECT (J39 Locomotive Trust)

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by J39LocomotiveTrust, Aug 7, 2011.

1. J39LocomotiveTrust

J39LocomotiveTrust New Member

Ticket inspector
    VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR MORE DETAILS-http://www.wix.com/tclarke3nrm2011/j39locomotivetrust

2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

My initial and, I think, lasting reaction is "Oh! God, not another one".

P.H.

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hmmm, a 16 year old, a 14 year old and two 13 year olds.
    Good luck - you'll need it!

Keith

4. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    I wish them luck too and hope they 'grow' into the project.

Makes me think 'what a useful locomotive' and certainly of more use than a big dark green overpriced & expensive to maintain A1!

F

5. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Exactly, it does seem all this group is, is 4 children/young teenagers who have a strong enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is good but you need more than that to build something like that.

I personally would not feel comfortable donating money to a group run by the people in those pictures, no matter how trustworthy they may be.

There are too many new build groups as it is, and they really think this J39 can be built by 2020...? it's the same goal set by the Urie S15 group to have both of their locomotives steaming in that year. I don't have any doubts which will succeed. Sorry guys.

6. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Although living in LNER territory, I shamefully admit that I had no idea what a J39 was, except that it was an 0-6-0 of some kind. A quick search showed a somewhat massive, workmanlike locomotive which seemed, at least to me, to be very much the equivalent of the LMS 4F. I was not aware that this was the most numerous of Gresley's designs although I guess, being a typical British workhorse locomotive, that's not surprising. Sad that one of these was not preserved. Like anything else, if sufficient cash, willpower, brains and skill is thrown at something it will happen. The LNER has done well with one new build-Tornado but the B17 Sandringham seems to have stalled. I'm not sure that this 0-6-0 is really charismatic enough to attract funding, but who knows.

7. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

good luck to them. Preservation needs bith more LNER locos AND more youngsters.

Id like to ask if they really set up a trust or if they are just calling themselves that

8. northernblue109

northernblue109 New Member

I think they could fall foul of the law by implying that they have created a trust and not supplying the appropriate registration details. The website is very good, even if the content is not entirely credible. Garry

9. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Having read the website this evening, it's clear that they have a definite passion for steam railways and locomotive preservation, they have some good knowledge of the locomotive, and - whilst being certainly extremely ambitious, I feel that the quotation below:

Might give a little of the background behind their project.

I do think some sage advice from some kindly, knowledgeable souls in the preservation world might help dividends, particularly as the intentions behind them seem to be honest and good. After all - from small acorns grow mighty oaks.

10. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but you have to walk before you can run... a marathon, in this case. Get some well known and experienced faces behind the project, both to speahead the commercial and engineering sides, and i think you'll inspire a lot more confidence.

Chris

11. J39LocomotiveTrust

Ticket inspector
    In reply to all those who are concerned about the age of members, and initial reactions, this project has not been officially launched yet, it is merely to see how popular this class of locomotive would be in the 21st century, and by the time things really kick off, those who are 13 will most likely be 18 by the time anything major happens, and the estimate of being built by 2020 is a long shot, and i personally think it will be a lot longer. As for the "Trust", we are in the process of making the project into a trust so we don't fall foul of the law for calling it something it isn't, I as a 16 year old, am not allowed to handle large amounts of money anyway, so it wouldn't be me you'd have to trust.

12. J39LocomotiveTrust

Ticket inspector
    I do have experience in the new build world as I am one of the founding members of the Claud Hamilton Locomotive Group.

13. J39LocomotiveTrust

Ticket inspector
    Those who are on the website are not necessarily the only members of the group, just that we could not fit all of the current members of the group on the page, so we decided to put the main characters on.
    Those who deal with the donations are much older than ourselves and are perfectly trustworthy.

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

My concern with this proposal is less with whether the leading lights are nine years of age or ninety nine, as with the creation of yet another similar organisation. Frankly, the standard gauge does not have a good record of completing new build projects within a reasonable period of time. Only "Tornado" and the power bogie of Railmotor 93 have actually been completed. Ironically the broad gauge interest has a better record in getting projects fiinished!

Until projects are actually finished they are little better than was described in another context as "elaborate scrap". Please can several more projects be completed before any more are started. The amount of money tied up in various bits and pieces must be considerable.

P.H.

15. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

go for it lad....best of luck.

(PS how old were the founding members of the Great Western Society ? much about the same I think!)

16. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Indeed nothing ventured nothing gained and what's more good to see some young people directing their energies into something worthwhile and not "swinging off the Cenotaph"......................

17. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    I Absoloutely dont wish to knock these guys because i have my quiet little dreams about what id like to new build too.
    There is a chicken/egg quandry. For some of us getting a decent website on the go is incredibly hard (for others it is childsplay) but here is an idea and this is a good way of gauging intrest.
    Chris 125's comments though are very telling though, advertisng the product is one thing but whos going to make it.
    In the best tradfitions of fairy tales allsorts of experienced and wealthy people will stand up and do this thing with them, however in reality there are already too many projects and too few of these worthies to go round
    My advice to these young men is to get involved with an existing project and make their mark on that. It will stand them in good stead

18. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

You'll most likley loose interest in the next few years, trust me I was the same at your age. Girls,booze,jobs and education get in the way

19. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Although in the current economic downturn they have to make do with Girls and booze... that doesnt sound as bad as it should...

20. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

I suggest joining the LMS Patriot project "plug plug". In three years we have Fundraised a huge amount. By April next year (in time for Steel, Steam and stars III) we should have our driving wheels in the frames. BUT we still need more money to do so much more. £500,000 for boiler alone. And only 7 years left to build it.

Remember guys your only young and Should prob join one of the groups already going. Once you build one loco then get the same group to build the next. People will see you have done it once and believe you can build the next. For instance, i would love to see a fowler 2-6-4t built and i know a few other guys in the Patriot group also like the idea and Maybe (i use this very loosly) once we have built The Unknown Warrior we can look at building something else (again only if there are others in the project who like the idea).

If were talking real pie in the sky i would build an engine shed at leekbrook junction on the CVR (a bit like the west shed at butterley) Have it as a mainline base for Patriot. New build 2-6-4t (fowler) and buy 42859 and restore it giving the CVR 3 more locos to call from all being LMS and in the right territory. and create an image at Alton station like this [​IMG]

but WE have to finnish one project first.