If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle Of Man Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David Bigcheeseplant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nice !!!!

2. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Saloon carriage F31 is back in service after a repaint into the vintage Purple Lake and White scheme. Some finishing touches are still to be added, and the carriage has a First Class designation which is not original as it was a third class coach as supplied in 1905
    IMG_8415.jpeg IMG_8416.jpeg

3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

I want that window {jealous} ...

4. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Nice isn’t it, a variation on the motif on the interior doors of the saloon coaches. They have removed the single seats that were in that section and I think it’s to be used as a cutlery storage area for clearing between courses but I could be wrong

5. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

From Saturday 27th May the railway will commence a nine-day period operating the intensive “S” timetable seeing departures from Douglas Station at 9.50am, 11.20pm, 12.50pm, 2.30pm, 4.00pm and 5.30pm each day; the trains from Port Erin Station will depart at 10.00am, 11.30am, 1.00pm, 2.45pm, 4.15pm and 5.45pm which will require all three operational locomotives, No.4 Loch, No.11 Maitland and M.N.Ry. No.4 Caledonia to be in traffic.
    During race week itself, timetable “C” will operate in addition to the usual “R” schedule meaning a commuter service will depart Port Erin Station at 7.45am for the first four days of the week (5th-8th June), returning at 5.45pm from Douglas Station; the return working will also be available to travel on, leaving the southern terminus at 7.15pm. Bus fares will apply on these services, but there will be no dining option this year, compartment stock being in use.
    This busy period will conclude with three days reverting to the usual “R” on 9th June (Senior Race Day) and 10th-11th June which appear in the timetable literature as being timetable “S” days; this will not be the case. In a few short weeks the commemorations for the 150th anniversary of the Peel Line will take place on Saturday 1st July followed by and extended Summer Transport Festival at the end of the that month.
    One of the advantages of working on the cosmetic restoration of No.5 Mona in Port St. Mary goods shed is that one can pop out for a quick phot. when you hear a southbound train whistle for PSM level crossing.
    Ray.
    IMG_2678a.JPG IMG_2682a.JPG

6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    marshall5 likes this.
  7. Fezwig

Fezwig New Member

Having just looked at the you tube videos on the Collection X thread, it seems to look like this regarding the Isle of Man coaches still there,

F6 intact, minus bogies, lots of broken windows, missing seat bases etc.
    F 68, you can see all the doors leaning on a wall and a brief look of what appears to be bare frames.
    N40 on blocks, Cleminson wheelset/frames missing.
    N50 no roof( this "blew off" when being transported off the island) or compartment walls
    Both Cleminsons look bare and as removed from St Johns

StoneRoad, GHWood and lynbarn like this.
  8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

None of those would be beyond restoration, given sufficient funding, materials and especially a suitably skilled workforce.

I must have a look at those videos, as F68 - the pairs - was under restoration when I saw it in late 2018, with the first class almost complete internally and the third half well advanced. Plus a lot of paint on the exterior, again not fully finished. It was, I think, on 2ft bogies.

The doors may have been the originals, though, and replicas have been fitted ... or off something else entirely.

GHWood and Fezwig like this.
  9. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Caledonia has been out of action for a few days after problems with one of the injectors, but happily returned to use on Sunday to take a Cruise Ship special dining train.
    Kissack is still under the care of the workshop team, hopefully to be back in use before too much longer
    IMG_8615.jpeg IMG_8613.jpeg

10. marshall5

In less than 2 weeks time, on July 1st, it will be the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Isle of Man Railway and to mark the occasion there will be a series of special events in Douglas, Port St.Mary and Port Erin. The full programme for the day, and the 8 day Transport Festival at the end of the month can be found here https://www.iombusandrail.im/media/...bauOkXPFGHESmAcgkUI0MP3ozS4eLaSMQYF45FsgWpqTc
    IMR loco No.5 Mona, built for the opening of the South line in 1874 and last used in 1968, is in the final stages of its cosmetic restoration so that it can appear with its classmates 4 & 6 during the celebrations. Elsewhere the extensive rebuild of carriage F10 (built 1881) by contractors continues whilst its 'twin' F11, rebuilt last year is being painted 'in house'.
    Ray.
    IMG_2769a.JPG IMR F10 rebuild 6.23.jpg

11. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Can't wait to see her, last time I seen Mona she was in the old carriage shed looking very sorry for herself, managed to book the last ticket for the steam extravaganza on 30th July.

Any idea where she will be the week before to view?

12. marshall5

On the evening of Day 1 (23/7/23) she is scheduled to be in a photo line-up with Nos.1, 4 & 6 at Port Erin. At some point No.5 will have to go back to Douglas for the Extravaganza on Day 8 (Sun. 30/7/23). It was suggested that she 'double-headed' with No.4 and we prepared her with this in mind (through piped the vacuum brake etc.) but it hasn't appeared in the official programme. The photo below shows No.5's condition in 1999 after removal from the old carriage shed and before the loco went into the 'asbestos tent' where it deteriorated much further due to 'sweating' in the plastic cocoon. All the top surfaces are now being filled prior to painting because of the resultant deep pitting. Hope you enjoy the event.
    Ray.
    a05 No 5 outside Douglas shed 1999 shrunk.jpg

Ballaugh Boy, ragl, MuzTrem and 6 others like this.
  13. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Hi Ray, Thanks for the info, would love to see her double head with Loch, that would have been a great sight, does this mean it's definately not happening then? Gladly she was never scrapped then, can't believe that was spray painted on her. She looks amazing now, can't wait to see her finished in Douglas on the 30th July, I arrive on 27th and return home on 31st. Will you be there on the 30th Ray?

Another question, do you happen to know Dave Heaton who was the Douglas station master, knew him well and would love to see him if he was around on the 30th

14. marshall5

I honestly don't know if the double header is on or not. It sometimes gets forgotten that for most of the time that 5 & 9 were in storage, and deteriorating, - 34yrs IIRC they were privately owned. I'll be doing the workshop tours on Sat 29th and the line-up Sun.evening, 30th. I haven't seen Dave for a long time and unfortunately I don't have any contact details for him.
    Ray.

15. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Thanks for info, yeah that was a long time left to deteriorate, glad thay came back to railway ownship in the end or who knows what could have happened to them, good job the IOMSRSA have been able to do the cosmetic restorations on 6, 5 and now 9, good to see all out of service locos are now looked after, wonder if any of these will ever be restored to full working order again. Hopefully I’ll see you on the 30th to say hello in that case, may try and get on one of the workshop tours as well.

shame about Dave, as I say would have been great to have seen him, I believe it’s almost 25 years since i last saw him, in fact it was the last time I visited the island

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  16. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

No 13 Kissack emerged from the workshops today after an overhaul by the fitters and hopefully in time to take part in next weeks 150 celebrations. Only in light steam and with testing to take place during the week
    Here it is on the rhs alongside Manx Northern No4 Caledonia
    IMG_8735.jpeg

17. marshall5

..... and the posters advertising next Saturday's celebrations:
    IMR 150 1.7.23 p1.jpg IMR 150 1.7.23 p2.jpg
    This day is primarily aimed at local families with the main, 8 day, event at the end of the month for enthusiasts.
    Ray.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    StoneRoad likes this.
  18. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

A wonderful day for the 150th celebrations, with four locos in steam. IMG_8885.jpeg IMG_8925.jpeg

19. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Wagoniester likes this.
  20. marshall5

Whilst most of the family orientated attractions took place at Port Erin station, a mile or so down the line at Port St.Mary we also put on a bit of a show. The first photo shows the first train (09.50 ex Douglas) made up of the dining set (conveying the Governor and invited guests) + 2 (for ordinary mortals) departing PSM a few minutes 'down' headed by both No.4's. We put a 7 1/4"g. portable track down the length of the platform and gave rides behind the 3" scale Quarry Hunslet belonging to one of our volunteers. The designer/builder of the original 5" gauge IMR 'Peveril' brought his loco along and this was also in steam on its rolling road. IMR No.5 Mona was also on display outside the goods shed where its cosmetic restoration has been taking place over the past 18 months or so. It was being closely 'guarded' as the varnish had only been applied the day before .....
    Ray.
    IMG_2777 (2)a.JPG IMG_2774a.JPG IMG_2782a.JPG