If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle Of Man Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David Bigcheeseplant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I take it that "you" like F63 !!!

Your appreciation is appreciated, if you know what I mean.

Do you still need that "runner" I could do with it in the future ...

weltrol and marshall5 like this.
  2. Michael B

Michael B Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Could you explain that for the ignorant like me ?

3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

The "runner" in question is the underframe & running gear from a "pairs" carriage ...
    my not-so-subtle hint was that having a runner would make replicating the bodies from a previously scraped vehicle somewhat easier.

weltrol likes this.
  4. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

That request/question might be better sent to IOM Transport, there are several under frames in various stages of use :)

StoneRoad likes this.
  5. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

As preparations continue for the coming season, numbers 4, 11 and MNR 4 pictured outside the steam shed at Douglas, No13 is still in the works and will appear later. MNR Cleminson coach body No2 features, formerly the crews mess room this is now used as a store
    C461C573-712F-4E12-9737-D37782CAF80E.jpeg 0B63F61F-3B78-43CA-AA36-70A8C09B435A.jpeg

6. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Following on from StoneRoad's answer above, between 1909 and 1925 pairs of bodies from 50 fourwheelers (classes A-D) were placed on steel bogie underframes and numbered F50-74. In 1926 the final pair, the Duke of Sutherland's saloon and the Officer's saloon, became F75 now preserved in Port Erin Museum. In late 1967 Lord Ailsa (who had leased the IMR) had the bodies removed (allegedly without permission from the Company) from 11 (some sources say 12) of these 'Pairs' to form 'runners' for his short lived Mantainor scheme. These runners were numbered R1-10, the remaining 1 (or2) being unnumbered. Eleven of these were sold for scrap to Manx Metals from whom the Festiniog bought 10. The remaining one, R3 the well wagon, was cut up at Balthane. Of the 10 sold to the F.R. the underframes from six were used to build their 'Tin Cars' 111,117-121. A further 2 became bogie flats 56 & 57 while the remaining pair are, so far, unused.
    Of those remaining on the IMR F68 went into the Rampton Collection in 1975 and the bodies of a further 4 were removed between 1979 and 1983 to make new runners and ballast hoppers. Currently F66,67 & 74 are in dry storage in Jurby (less bogies) and F54,62, & 63 are in traffic. F54 (the first carriage in my photo above) has a completely new body on a former pairs underframe (hence Stone Road's comment!) whilst F62/3 are recent restorations by Stanegate of original bodies from 1873. Hope this answers your question ..... probably way too much information!
    Ray.

7. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

3FB36176-7253-404B-97E7-6895E0DE5BDD.jpeg After a false start, with the first scheduled trains cancelled due to snow, the 2023 season got underway on the railway today. Loco 11 Maitland worked the afternoon run to Port Erin from Douglas and No4 Loch ran the opposite working. Both return journeys were well loaded, helped no doubt by the island schools having a day off. Loch carried a headboard to pay tribute to former senior driver John Elkin, who passed away recently.

8. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Video of the first (half) day of the 2023 season

StoneRoad, marshall5 and bluetrain like this.
  9. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

shhhh ! [:wink:]

[this has already been a topic of conversation and I have [already] looked at some of the underframes at the Festiniog - one was at Dinas, actually - as I was a guard on the Festi, I had "met" the "tin cars" some years previously. I believe I'm right in saying that a couple of them have already gone on to other places since my time there]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    Mike Buttell likes this.
  10. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Thanks for this detailed reply [as some of the finer details were previously unknown to me].

Mike Buttell likes this.
  11. marshall5

[QUOTE="StoneRoad, post: 2798959, member: 7807" I had "met" the "tin cars" some years previously. I believe I'm right in saying that a couple of them have already gone on to other places since my time there][/QUOTE]
    They have, indeed. According to Ffestipedia 117 & 120 went to Apedale whilst 118/9 went to GVLR. The frame of 121 ex.IMR R7 is now under F.R. 124. 111 is now part of the F.R. P.Way fleet. Interestingly I came across a photo, taken in 2014 of, what appears to be, a plate frame bogie from an ex IMR runner in a skip at Boston Lodge. I wonder if any other frames survive there as I'm sure that before too long we might need some. IIRC only one of the current IMR runners still retains its plate frame bogies as all the others have been swapped for diamond framed ones from the Saloons and some small F's.
    Cheers,
    Ray.
    boston_lodge_frames_2014s.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  12. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

They have, indeed. According to Ffestipedia 117 & 120 went to Apedale whilst 118/9 went to GVLR. The frame of 121 ex.IMR R7 is now under F.R. 124. 111 is now part of the F.R. P.Way fleet. Interestingly I came across a photo, taken in 2014 of, what appears to be, a plate frame bogie from an ex IMR runner in a skip at Boston Lodge. I wonder if any other frames survive there as I'm sure that before too long we might need some. IIRC only one of the current IMR runners still retains its plate frame bogies as all the others have been swapped for diamond framed ones from the Saloons and some small F's.
    Cheers,
    Ray.
    View attachment 75191 [/QUOTE]

Sadly, I expect any frames have long since been disposed / recycled.
    At various times there have been something of a clear out of such items.

13. Michael B

Michael B Member

Thank you for the comprehensive answer. The picture below appears to show some of the pairs being removed from their underframes. Back of Castletown station June 1968. Castletown sidings 6.68.jpg

14. marshall5

Those were the bodies from F69 (ex 4 wheelers B4 & B17).
    Ray.

StoneRoad likes this.
  15. Michael B

Michael B Member

In which case, here's one I made earlier - F69 on 27 May 1966. F69 27.5.1966 Douglas.jpg

16. marshall5

Thanks for posting that photo as it shows one of the carriages latterly used on the 'school' trains and still in the austerity brown livery.
    Ray.

Mike Buttell likes this.
  17. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Sporting a banner for the 150th anniversary of the opening of the railway. No1 Sutherland in residence at the museum Port Erin
    The banner supplied by the IOM Railway Supporters association. 3D8DF4A2-1EB3-44A3-8115-67229DB34338.jpeg

18. marshall5

...... and as No.1 was dressed up on opening day 1st July 1873 complete with banner and greenery. Photo from Manx National Heritage i-museum collection.
    I can't see the greenery around the smokebox and chimney lasting very long though.
    Ray.
    IMR Opening Day 1.7.73 PG8240a.png

19. meeee

meeee Member

They are not in a skip. That is the old coaling bucket for the telehandler in front.
    Boston Lodge has an ongoing contract to refurbish IofM coach bogies so they would have been frames stripped awaiting overhaul at the time. I expect the are now running on the island somewhere. There are currently at least 4 four more bogies under overhaul at Boston Lodge as we speak.

I think the old pairs underframes on the FR that were unused have now gone for scrap. They were very ropey even when used as flat waggons.

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Yeah ... thanx