If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle Of Man Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by David Bigcheeseplant, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I love the idea of 2 locos per each of the 3 liveries in service, hope this happens. it feels really fitting to have Mannin in original green if she does make the appearance for steam 150.

Ray thanks for all the info in the above post, it's really interesting to see how it's going to turn out

2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    The best "how" of all would have to be be extremely busy. A demand led additional working for the saloon set (between breakfast and dinner sevices) really would be the icing on the cake.

The way the IMR has managed to buck the trend just about everywhere (barring Woody Bay) has been one of the true highlights of two of the most bobawful years most of us can remember.

Chrisw77 likes this.
  3. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Hope it will be busy, there's going to be a lot to see. I'd love to visit and see all the celebrations, if not I can't wait to se the pictures of these locos in steam again, the first time I went to the Isle of Man it was late 80s and 4,12 and 13 were in steam with 11 being in the workshop. I've since seen 15 and 10 return to steam but my last visit was late 90s, I think I was lucky to see no 1 in steam too, but never 8

4. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Rather than GWR green as was previously suggested.

5. 30854

Retired
    My dear chap, I already said, when it's purely subjective matter .... I'm always right! :Pompus:

Actually, as an historic line in it's own right, technically speaking any livery the management opt to employ is authentic, even if it has to be said the funereal black seen in the film "Five Children and It" would've looked less awful with some decent lining out!

6. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

I think I suggested in this thread a few pages back that it would be fun to try some new liveries on the IoM locos and stock. LNWR-style lined black would look perfect with a rake of purple lake coaches, for example; or a rake of coaches in varnished teak to match the Ailsa green locos. (At least the beautiful MNR Cleminson has given us a first step toward the latter! :p)

Don't get me wrong, I make that suggestion with tongue in cheek - really, it is better to preserve the authenticity of the line by using historic liveries. All the same, the blue or maroon liveries seen on 4, 12 and 15 in the '90s/'00s certainly brought some variety to the fleet, and they are now part of the line's history in their own right.

So, why not finish off No. 11 with black-and-white lining, "Southern" on the tank sides and giant numbers beneath? I reckon it would look rather smart...and the legions of L&B fans might be induced to visit the Isle of Man for a change! :p

andrewshimmin likes this.
  7. 30854

Retired
    Not currently being of a suicidal disposition, I've no intention of standing between you and the massed pikes of irate Manxmen (and women). ;)

MuzTrem likes this.
  8. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    We’ve already dispatched a legion of three legged blood thirsty assailants in his direction

30854, MuzTrem and marshall5 like this.
  9. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

HRC colours? Macadoo colours?
    (And if Hutchinson has one named after him, surely McGuiness should get one too ).

I just like seeing them in steam. Colour is optional.

10. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

I did like the maroon on Loch, it looked great, dare I say I even liked the blue on Hutchinson, it may have looked better had she had been built as standard minus the square cab and larger tanks. Even Caledonia looked great in the navy colour a few years back, it's great to see all the different liveries being used again.

On another note I did see somewhere she time ago online that someone had photoshopped a pic of Fenella at Port Erin and she was a mustard colour, actually looked quite nice

MuzTrem likes this.
  11. 30854

Retired
    Further to @Chrisw77's post, I've seen fully lined out early LMS(NCC) red livery on a model of the Ballymena & Larne BP 2-4-0T (virtually identical to contemporary IMR No.6 Peveril, slightly shorter chimney and cab, due to the loading gauge). It suited the design rather well.

andrewshimmin and MuzTrem like this.
  12. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Happy to be of service, we turned this out as an April Fool a few years ago

Attached Files:

stuarttrains, Nick C, 30854 and 5 others like this.
  13. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

have to say, hutch looks pretty smart there, i like it

14. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

BR Black next April please - you know you want to :)

15. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

Does anyone know, what's the idea behind the removal of chimney numerals on 11 and 12, it may just be me but I thought they were a great feature on the engines, would love to see no. 10 have them back

16. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Historical accuracy I suspect, although supplied with numerals (and copper caps) on the original Beyer Chimneys, these were lost during the replacement by the shorter chimneys as boiler changes took place. The numerals were then brought back during the first boiler replacements of government ownership (but not on No10) Personally I always thought that the double numbers on the shorter chimneys looked awkward, but the single number on 5 looked just fine :)

andrewshimmin and Chrisw77 like this.
  17. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Encouraged by some breaks in the heavy overcast of the last few days I ventured to the other end of the Island for a 'steam fix' and to take a few photos of the 'Polar Express' which has followed on from the weekend's 'Santa trains'. Unfortunately when I got to Douglas the light was what was described in pre- digital days as "f2 at a fortnight".
    IMR No.4 Loch, fortunately carrying a headboard rather than a face, was in charge of the well-filled 6 coach dining set with departures to Santon at 10.00, 12.00 and 14.30.
    Obviously aimed at younger children who could come in their pj's and have cocoa and cookies while journeying to the 'North Pole'.
    The first photos (apologies for the poor quality) show No4 preparing to depart on the 14.30. Despite the red plastic antlers the 2 trammers didn't make very convincing reindeer!
    No.13 Kissack was also in steam after some routine repairs. In the works Caley has been lifted for attention to it's axleboxes with new thrust faces on the leading set. The leading wheelset is seen in our ancient belt-driven wheel lathe. In the running shed the Cleminson had also been lifted for attention to an axlebox.
    The Polar Express runs again tomorrow with a Curry Club diner in the evening and a Brunch train on Thursday.
    Ray.
    IMG_2253a.JPG IMG_2254a.JPG IMG_2259a.JPG IMG_2263a.JPG IMG_2264a.JPG

Crawley Ben, GHWood, ragl and 8 others like this.
  18. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Just today and tomorrow for the dining trains now, then some downtime until early March. Hopefully we will get some pics of Maitland out on test when it returns to the island. Here are a couple from Mondays Fireman’s Brunch train 270B963B-580E-41C8-ACA8-F5721D817BB5.jpeg 7DC466FC-9221-43B9-8624-ABAA9846831E.jpeg 761D9D01-E622-4E5E-8EDF-052643415CE7.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. Mike Buttell

Mike Buttell Member

Had my last run today until March, on the commuter club Port Erin to Douglas at 07:45hrs with a full cooked breakfast on board to set up the day. No4 Loch was on duty, and will be tonight on the 17:45 return. For clarity the train runs out from Douglas in the morning ECS and similarly back again at night.
    A0FCA46B-AF97-4AC8-9164-9FC6CF1D8904.jpeg

20. 30854

Retired
    Blimey ..... you could safely eat your breakfast off No.4. Most magnificently turned out.

I trust the service was well patronised?