If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. chrishallam

chrishallam Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The latest on Hudswell Clarke 1539 'Derek Crouch' on the Nene Valley from the Wansford MPD Facebook page. Sadly more plate work is required to be replaced on the firebox than first thought. Donations great fully received!

2. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Well-Known Member

A post has appeared on the GCR Shed works page on Facebook showing Giesel Ejector equipped Austerity 3809 has arrived at Quorn after overhaul at Loco Maintenance Services. The loco is to be run in at the GCR and haul the trains on the Mountsorrel Branch from May 29-June 2. The loco has been liveried as NCB East Fife Area No.18. She looks very nice but I can imagine with the colour of the wheels and rods it will be a lot of work to keep her looking nice below the running board!!

Attached Files:

pmh_74, alexl102, ragl and 7 others like this.
  3. brennan

brennan Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    No 19, ex Devonport Dockyard Bagnall 0-4-0 ST 2962 , has finally been sold and will move from the Bodmin and Wenford to the Pontypool and Blaenavon. 19 was the first loco to work passenger trains when the B & W opened.

[​IMG]

4. Johnw

Johnw Part of the furniture

HELP REQUIRED

By the spring of 1984 the pressure of a young family considerably curtailed my railway photography. Another aspect that also suffered was my record keeping of what I had actually taken and here is a case in point.

I recognise the location as Pickering, North Yorkshire Moors Railway and the date is spring 1984 and that is it. I have totally failed to identify the 0-6-0ST taking water, its only identification visible being a 26D (Bury) shed plate. I have eliminated 3180 (wrong chimney) and Antwerp (wrong colour) which were photographed working on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway in 1984. The 26D shed plate suggests a visitor from the East Lancashire Railway maybe?

Suggestions welcome.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/53759302168/

5. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    To help narrow down the search John, the loco in your photo is one of the "56" class, built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn for the Corby Quarry system of Stewarts & Lloyds. 3 of these locos were acquired by the KWVR and the loco in your photograph looks like it's one of those 3.

Cheerz,

Alan

6. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Well-Known Member

Hi John

The ID you have put in the description of the Flickr Post is bang on - RSH w/no 7673, Stewarts & Lloyds no 62, one of an initial batch of 7, later expanded to 9, 0-6-0STs designed for working 500 tonne trains over a new steeply graded 8 mile branch on the S&L system. 62 was, I believe, initially preserved on the KWVR, then spent time at the ELR, NYMR and Bodmin, before moving to the Spa Valley. It completed a 10 year period of operation which finished a few years ago. The loco has been officially named 'Ugly' as at the Worth Valley the fact that the saddle tank doesn't extend fully to the cab (due to the raised firebox) in contrast to something like a Hunslet Austerity earnt them the unfortunately nickname of 'Uglies'.
    4 others survive - S&L 56 (RSH 7667) at Epping Ongar, S&L 57 (RSH 7668) at Spa Valley (named 'Samson' in preservation), S&L 60 (RSH 7670) at Colne Valley (named 'Jupiter' in preservation and S&L 63 (w/no 7758) at Epping Ongar (named 'Corby' in preservation)

7. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
  8. brennan

brennan Member

No 62's claim to fame being that in 1989, during its time at Bodmin, it was on the front of a royal train when the late Queen Elizabeth II visited the Royal Cornwall Show.

9. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

Reportedly wasn't impressed by the "Ugly" nameplates on it.

ragl likes this.
  10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The loco in question is RSH 7673 which was ex S&L at Corby and numbered 62. In preservation it initially went to the KWVR but was then bought by a John Boyes (not THE John Boyes of NYMR fame) and taken to the ELR. John then moved it to the NYMR in 1984. It covered 1700 miles in service in just a few months before John unexpectedly sold it and it moved elsewhere.

26D_M likes this.
  11. Tommy Williams

Tommy Williams New Member

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns No. 7058 Olwen? I know it’s left the Gwili but I haven’t heard any more of where it’s gone.

12. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Now at Butterley, MRC.

13. estwdjhn

estwdjhn Member

Boilermaker
    Is it? I'm fairly sure it was at Peak Rail until very recently.

14. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Here is a picture of Bagnall 2746 The Duke undegoing servicing and maintenance at Wirksworth, Thursday 4th July. The locomotive has been out of action recently due to a second broken glut bolt on the RHS. This has been traced to a mismatch of the tapered surfaces between the glut block and the big end bearing putting abnormal stress on the bolt. This has been dealt with and the locomotive will be re-assembled next week to return to service on the following weekend.

Meanwhile, the new ashpit is making progress with contractors drilling holes for bolts to hold doen the chairs, so The Duke should be posing on it before long.

Tim

Attached Files:

Johnme101 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  15. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
  16. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member