If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Industril Loco Updates!!

Can guarantee it hasn't been altered, was scanned in from a print and posted straight on here!

2. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Great to see "Bellerophon" back in steam!

More news from the Industrials at Llangollen:

Hunslet 3783 "Darfield No.1" arrived back at home on the 29th May after 2 years on hire at the Dartmoor Railway. Work at present has been mainly cleaning (the loco returned in a disgusting state the NCB couldnt even have rivalled!) and re-painted to cover scratches, dints wear and tear etc etc. The sanders are undergoing a rebuild at present but most importantly, the boiler has passed its annual inspection and is due its steam test any day. The remaining summer season will likely see Darfield on hire to the Yorkshire Dales Railway, Embsay.

Hunslet 1873 "Jessie" is still in its sidetank guise as Thomas. However, it is likely to be re-fitted with its saddle tank once Llangollen resident Jinty 7298 returns at Thomas after its boiler repairs.

Kitson 5459 "Austin 1" awaits boiler repairs. This is likely to be undertaken when time and money permit but as it still retains boiler ticket it takes priority over GWR Pannier 7754.

Hudswell Clarke "Jennifer" is nearing completion and due steam tests as already mentioned.

Avonside 1498 "Desmond" has been stripped down and an NDT test of its boiler undrtaken to assess its condition. The locos frames have been cleaned of rust and rot and mounted on a Loriot well wagon. This loco will then be restored using lottery funding for use by its owners The Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr Railway.

3. Re: Industril Loco Updates!!

glad to here that darfield is progressing well she will need the sanders up at embsay

4. MEJ

MEJ New Member

What livery will Belleropon be going into? Is that colour in the photo red oxide or a brown undercoat to suit its previous gloss brown colour?

5. A.E1764

A.E1764 New Member

As I was on Bellerophon when that was taken I can guarantee that the smoke was that colour, all I was thinking about though was what was happening to the rod brasses at that point 8-[ she is going back into brown although it is a much darker one than last time, in fact you can just see some of it on the cab side. In terms of when she will make her first public runs all being well it should be gala, assuming that is that myself and the rest of the team can get through the 47 jobs on the list that was drawn up on sunday night [-o< [-o< ](*,)

Bellerophon the thinking mans industrial, What am I going to do when I have finished her??????/

MEMBER OF THE REAL ENGINEMEN DONT WEAR GREASETOPS CLUB

" I didnt lose the shovel I knew exactly where it was, the fact it was 30 yards away in a field is besides the point"

6. Avonside1563

Errrrmm Robert Heath No6 or Hawarden :-k think I know which one hehe Or there's always 1563 forgotten on Boulton's Sidings!!!

7. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

And the Twin-Tub as a side project? [-o< I reckon if you stick my next tenner (okay, a fiver) in the Knotty Coach Fund A.E1764 then it's yours 8-[ I'll sign anything.

8. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer

Was definately a good feeling to have Bellerophon in steam... and yes as one of the 'team' who was there, I can assure everyone that that smoke WAS real... well done Matt for a new preservation recycling initiative, we can shovel that lot off the chimney cap and re-use it in the firebox!!!!!

We only had her running up and down the yard, but I am definately looking forwards to stretching her legs!!! =D>

9. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Further to my previous post. Spartan's boiler underwent pressure testing this weekend and over the course of two days, reached a total of 145psi. This is still 50 psi short of working pressure, but the decision has been taken to return the boiler to the frames, in order to set up an injector and carry out a full pressure test.

Boiler lift planned for a couple of weeks time. \:D/

10. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Singapore passed steam test last thursday so is ok till sept I think! given her a bit of tlc too for this weekend. \:D/

11. P&amp;JR

P&amp;JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    I thought singapore was due a ten year? Is it an extension or a really quick turnround? Or am I wrong?

12. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    An extesion only am affraid, she will be put through the works again though. 040 Barclay B.S.C 2 is hopefully our next engine to appear at our place and has been 6 moths off finishing for two years now!! but she has been completly rebuilt so we are all looking forward to having her out on our rakes of wagons and giving her a slog in the not too distant future. Singapore out sat/sun with freights for our vintage gala.

13. P&amp;JR

Makes sense, all good stuff. Any pictures?

14. P&amp;JR

15. Avonside1563

Bellerophon should be in steam for its FTR exam as I type and hopefully appearing on BBC Midlands Today this evening!

16. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

17. P&amp;JR

If you remember could you drop me a line?

18. Avonside1563

Update on Bellerophon, Did a test run Yesterday, still a few snags to sort, but should be in action over the Gala at Foxfield.

Also was filmed by BBC Midlands News and hopefully on tonight's (Thursday) bulletin at 6.30pm \:D/

19. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

A nice little plug on Midlands today. Good luck you foxfield guys with your gala.

20. Avonside1563

Here's the finished result (well nearly) with Haydock's finest! Featuring the "Real Enginemen" (and Molly who decided not to look at the camera!) on the evening of 19th July after the loco's first day back in traffic!

The crew is:
    On loco: Matt (A.E.1764), Alistair (Firefly 776)
    On ground: Nigel (avonside1563), Nick & Maggie