If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. 504

504 New Member

seen on the GCR web site that Sir Berkeley has been added to the May Bank Holiday event.

2. alig8048

alig8048 New Member

Just a note to say that 71515 performed faultlessly on Sunday as we carried out crew training runs to Blaenavon

http://www.aligrieve.fotopic.net/c1852805.html

As you may notice it's not to good for photos to start with as the sun is straight down the track but as it moves round during the afternoon you can get some crackers.

My favorite is this one as the train comes off the curve and the 1 in 28 on to a more relaxing 1 in 37/1 in 40 run in to Furnace Sidings. And she sounds as good as she looks.

http://www.aligrieve.fotopic.net/p65016043.html

3. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Congrats to the P&B on 71515 - it looks (and, from the accounts I've heard, sounds!) stunning, especially on the extension. I look forward to sampling it soon - it looks great.

Meanwhile, from the Gwili - or to be more precise, Gloucestershire! RSH 0-4-0 No.7058 of 1942 "Olwen" (or Percy the Small Engine, dependant on your age) is now on site on the spur at Gotherington, ready to take part in the coming GW175 celebrations. A small gang of Gwili volunteers have spent the last few days at Goth, steadily repainting No.7058 from Awdry green into BR Black, as Swansea Docks No.1144. A few small jobs were still left to do, as we left last night - but it certainly looks the business!

If you're at the GW&SR over the coming week, do pop over and say hello - either at Gotherington, or at our publicity stand at Toddington.

4. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Perhaps the least significant crane lift at Foxfield yesterday, but worthy of mention , was the lifting of the boiler of Robert Heath No.6. The boiler will now be prepared for examination.

5. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

To start a long journey you must take the first step, planning for 2011 has just started (!!!), lets hope you will be ready.

6. Alex G

Alex G New Member

RSH Austerity 7169 as 'Mech. Navvies Ltd', now looking the part! Seen today during filming for ITV Wales News. 71515.jpg

7. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

71515 is looking very nice and so much better than BR Black. Well done all.

There is a very good pic of her in Industrial Rlys of Northumberland and Co.Durham in The Latter Days of Steam (Booklaw).

Looking forward to seeing her at Foxfield.

Cheers,

8. P&JR1854

P&JR1854 New Member

The People's Democratic Republic of the Causey Arc
    What a great looking machine 71515 is again... has she claimed the title of second best looking Austerity in preservation from Whiston? Obviously No. 49 is still THE best looking Austerity.

Looking forward to seeing her in the flesh in all her Mech Navies glory, so much better than any ferret and dartboard nonesense!

9. alig8048

alig8048 New Member

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  11. 12" Coch RSH

12" Coch RSH New Member

its simple people dont want a grubby industrial loco they want a BR engine, quite few turn there noses up at Industrials. its the posh mainliners or the working class Industrial and quite few want to fake it!

dont forget there is now RSH side tank No.40 pertending to be a J72 at the mintuie :twitch:

12. 12" Coch RSH

12" Coch RSH New Member

http://bobby-hunter.fotopic.net/c1714514.html
    some photos of her working there enjoy.

13. 12" Coch RSH

12" Coch RSH New Member

14. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Who says industrial locomotives have to be grubby? http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/Images/images/PICT9630.JPG :clap2:

15. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

16. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i prefer to see austerities in either military liveries or industrial liveries if colourful, nothing to me looks as boring as un lined black or green, i just love the lined prussian blue of the longmoor railway, or the maroon lined liveries of some coal board locos i certainly wouldnt want to see antwerp in anything other than its currant livery , did it carry any other liveries in its service days other than plain green or what ever it would have carried in its war time service .
    and also, ive been looking at the history of "norman" currently at swanage, what liveries has this engine carried? wasnt she once a longmoor engine did all engines based at bordon recieve the blue livery?

17. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

What luck - we have hoppers for it to play with !.

The restored Cylinder is now fitted to Dubsey along with front and back covers. Next step is to align its ( single ) slide bar. I hope to get the piston and valve sorted over the weekend. Smoke box fitting to start next week with luck. Interesting to note that both engines were once on the ESR together.

18. D1039

D1039 Guest

19. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

I see that she is to lose her Thomas livery for a proper one, without a No.1 or an animal on the side!

20. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Called in at the Plym Valley today (it was either that or the furniture stores next door that the other half went into...!) and spied Albert in steam; a fairly unspectacular record shot below:-

http://www.nicklloyd.fotopic.net/p65246505.html