If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Well at least it won't be bulled up to look like a J94.

2. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Well it could be Foxfield, but I think Mr P&JR was thinking of a North East railway with a similar name !.

Ours is July !. It could run with Whiston in its new showmans livery - very high gloss !.

Would be fantastic for the "mog" to return to its former self.

3. PBR Traffic

PBR Traffic New Member

Well we will see what happens, the loco will look good what ever the livery, we would love the loco to visit a few railways especially the Foxy, we visit at least once a year! Brilliant!

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sapper

After the discussions on this site earlier about the future of the SDR's Austerity "Sapper" its interesting to note from the SDRonline site that it has been sold. Can anyone say where it is going?

5. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    I remember this loco arriving at a barn in darkest Staffordshire when it was first purchased by Charles Adams and the horror story that was the boiler. Spent many hours helping Charles strip it down and start the boiler work, some of the threads in the boiler for the washout plugs literally fell off when we poked them with a screwdriver, such was the action of the water at the East Somerset at the time! If I recall correctly the name the Mog came from a trip out with the loco prior to purchase when it went like the proverbial scalded cat!

6. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Do you know that the Hunslet Co have been asked to look at "Millfields" boiler - you wait for a quarter of a century for a crane tank then three come along !!.

High chance that Glenfield and Dubs will be together one day, you had better bring Millfield and we can dig out Roker for a uplifting event.

7. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Sorry guys - written in haste after working siily hours !, got my "Doxfords" mixed up - its HENDON from Tanfield that Hunslet have been asked to look at. Hows that for a bit of news !.

8. Autocar

Autocar New Member

That is superb news about Hendon. Obviously early stages but I will keep my fingers crossed.
    Top of my (lottery winning) wish list is to place a bulk order for new boilers for all four surviving Doxford crane tanks. Ok so I imagine they'd be all but useless for preserved lines but I'd love to see them in steam together.

My sincere thanks to Mr Scragg and others involved in the restoration of Dubs. Cant wait to see her.

9. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Roker was used at Foxfield for a number of tasks including relaying the crossing, lifting track from the colliery and various lifting jobs. See sits with a new set of tubes but with serious firebox problems ( she leaked on the bottom corners, but as its a round box who knows whats going on ! ).

Update on the Cylinder is that is should be with us before too long after serious defects have been resolved. It has been bored and the liner delivered. Tubes arrive first week in Oct - loads still to do be things are moving on.

Dont worry about its capacity to do things, she is only a tadge smaller than HAWARDEN, granted she carries a few tons more on top !.

Info regarding HENDON came from very reliable persons in the crane tank club.

10. Autocar

Autocar New Member

Thanks for the reply Glenalmond.
    Glad to hear she will be gainfully employed. I'll admit to being rather ignorant of crane tanks having never seen one in steam but I was rather concerned about her ability to haul passenger stock with the overhanging jib and what I think are dumb buffers.

Pleased to hear Hendon is also in relatively good shape.

11. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

No passenger trains for Dubs - no vacuum and the dumb buffers have just been restored with new oak beams. We are going for its 1962 condition - its last rebuild at Shelton, anything else would not be correct.

I dont have a view on the condition of Hendon, I belive parts are missing after its visit to a scrap yard. The Tanfield boys will have a better view on that - if its like Roker you can start with new tyres and work up !. I guess my name will be mentioned at Tanfield this weekend - not sure if the "massive" can add to this at this stage from what I hear.

It was Mr Lee ( owner of CT Glenfield ) who told me he had been asked to restore the boiler for Hendon.

MrP&JR may have more news ?.

12. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Who knows what they will do with it in Belgium !!!.

13. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    The boiler from RSH 7609, sometime known as 'Meteor' has been delivered to the East Somerset Railway, Cranmore. It is expected that the boiler and rest of loco will have the overhaul, that was started elsewhere, progressed to completion after GWR 5637 is outshopped next summer.

14. Consolidation Mike

Consolidation Mike New Member

Ruddington Fleet

No56 has now completed its first 12 months of operation since return to traffic, having clocked up around 2000 miles of passenger train haulage since returning to traffic for Santa services in late 2008. The GCRN are now seeking quotes for major firebox repairs to No63 following agreement by the company's boiler insurers to the methodology and scope of repairs proposed.

Meanwhile work on the other pair of Ex Corby engines based at Ruddington makes steady progress. Manning Wardle No 1762 continues to make steady progress with a very thorough heavy general overhaul. MW No 2009 is also in the early stages of a general overhaul. One day it should be possible to see all four of these Ex Corby engines in steam together.

15. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Just a quick note to tell you that a locomotive from the Pontypool & Blaenavon, Mountain Ash No.8/Longmoor Military Railway 152, has arrived at the SVR Bridgnorth works for attention, mainly to the boiler and saddle tank. A couple of images are on the svr-engineering website.
    Apologies if this has already been discussed, I just dont have time to go through all the pages of this thread! The pictures though are recent and not seen before.

Regards

16. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

That is fantastic news about No.8. Thanks for the posting.

She has always been my favourite steam engine since seeing her in steam at Mountain Ash as a 10 year old visiting on a family holiday from Norfolk. Got a pic of me standing in front of her in my loft.

I thought the slow progress in recent years was due to the major repairs needed on the bolier. I believe the firebox was damaged after Mountain Ash forgot to put water in the bolier one day? Hopefully the SVR can sort this. Also I wonder if the kink in the running plate and welded patch on the tank will still be there after the restoration is completed?

The Abbey was also in steam the same day at Mountain Ash so perhaps the day when they are both steam in the valleys together again is not too long off? Just need a rake of minerals at the P&BR and the ultimate NCB S.Wales photo charter may just be possible!

Cheers,

17. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Big lo- never mind, I'll get my coat :D

18. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Interesting stuff I once went on a railtour around the works - open 16t minerals used as transport. Those were the days !.

I was looking a Antwerp the other day - very unloved at the moment.

19. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Had a few beers with a NYMR driver/fireman at the Plandampf last week. Asked him about their best engine (Antwerp) and he wasn't very kind about the 'J94' (sic). Too be fair I think it had an NCB boiler ticket when they got it so they shouldn't have expected too much! She would look good in North Yorks NCB maroon (one of the best industrial liveries?) with the cone chimney but I don't think it would be a restoration for the faint hearted!

20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator