If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Bagnall Diesel, Wolstanton No.3, had it's first run out for several years this weekend following an extensive engine overhaul. It took a well wagon and brake van to Dilhorne to load one of the railway's ex-Barry Rly water tanks which has been sold to a well known haulier. The photo shows Wolstanton at Dihorne Park having loaded the tank.

2. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Smokebox door has been removed from Robert Heath No.6 for repair to baffle plate and the smokebox floor also removed. Tubes hopefully due to be removed in coming weeks.
    Preparation for boiler lift will require dismantling the valve gear and removing the steam brake cylinder !

Wimblebury test-steamed Sunday and made an impromptu visit to the colliery (lots of activity with sidings being laid and machines moving about) to fetch the coal wagon.

Amongst activities at Caverswall Road was a sign inviting you to 'Make your own Dog' , but I didn't find out just what that involved. :-k

And what were those Creme Eggs doing in a nest on Millom?

3. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Hi guys, Tommy has had some bits put back on namely brake blocks and cylinder cladding! also found a much nicer green than the old pea soup it was going to be! pictures when I get a chance!! \:D/

4. yec2521

yec2521 New Member

chesterfield locomotive action groups (clag) yorkshire engine company loco no 2521 is due to have its boiler removed in the next couple of months and preparations have already started by dismantling the cab and removing smokebox saddle bolts. watch this space.

5. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Aquick picture update on Sir Thomas Royden with work concentrating on the cab back and outside motion.Also a picture of some of the locos in our engine yard area.

6. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Dubs 4101 continues to move forwards. Left hand piston and Laird crosshead fitted.

Right hand cylinder has been bored offsite and the new liner is on order. Rods have been bored, new bearing castings require machining.

Brake cylinder back in one piece following the casting and welding of a smashed section. Piston, neck ring & gland back together for the first time in years - nice job. New oak beams arrived and well be the next job after the brake cylinder is fitted.

As ever all welcome to join in the fun - will have a cylinder and valve chest to fit one of these days !.

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    An update on recent happenings at Middleton.
    MSC 67 (HC 1369) is presently in traffic.
    Brookes No.1 (HE2387) Returned to traffic this w/e after having its injectors overhauled by South Coast Steam. It is in the final months of its curent boiler cert (expires 25/6/09) after which it will require a full stripdown. Well worn mechanically so it will be a slow job but the boiler will hopefully just need a set of tubes.
    Sir Berkeley (MW1210) is awaiting its working exam by the boiler inspector following attention to some leaking lap seams at the foundation ring.
    Matthew Murray (MW1601) is currently well stripped down for its quicky overhaul. The boiler has had a clean bill of health (so it should when only 8 years old!) and the new tubes are on order -delivery imminent. The broken cylinder cover has been repaired and Rileys man is coming to start machining out the grooved cylinder on Wednesday. Once the final size is know we can have a liner made to suit. Still a lot of work to do before it is back together again, though.
    Don't know if I should mention diesels in this section but JF 4220033 has had new wheel tyres fitted and awaits lowering back onto its axles. A start is to be made on fitting vac gear shortly. Plenty of activity if anyone wants to come and join us!

8. George A

George A New Member

college student
  9. Avonside1563

As long as it's not mainline [-X then no problem with diesels here

10. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    RSR UPDATE

Needle gunning & minor repairs to platework ongoing, new smokebox awaited

Grant Richie.
    New timber bufferbeams fitted, buffers & drawbars repaired & refitted, 4 new crank pins fitted, next job is to replace all the running plates.

Barclay No 6 (2261)
    All rivetting completed retubing under way, new firebars cast.

St Monans
    More undercoating & preparation for topcating, completion of welding still required.

Linda.
    Work is concentrating on all 6 axleboxes

Dave W

GH4 & others

11. planetpower

planetpower Member

nowt
    ELR Industrial Update:
    Peckett 1370 Available for use usually used on gala weekends.

Barclay 1927 Stored awaiting a general overhaul will be displayed in the Castlecroft museum.

Hudswell Clarke 32 Gothenburg Available for use now in Brunswick green with red lining.

Hudswell 4002 Arundel Castle Currently stored awaiting attention to various things is due to be used at some point during the summer.

Planet 3438 The overhaul is progressing well and the cab has had a lot of metal replaced due to rot and corrosion the power unit now runs and the next project is the gearbox and air system completion is looking like the latter end of this year.

Simplex 9009 Available for use but requires attention to the stater motor brackets, springs and axle boxes may be used over the war weekend.

12. GWR5786

GWR5786 New Member

Just came across this page after recently joining NatPres.

Does anybody know the whereabouts of any remaining Kitson locomotive drawings?
    The Society of which I am a member own a Kitson loco 5474 'CARNARVON' an 0-6-0 Saddle Tank from Corby ironstone quarries.
    We are looking to restore the loco and were interested in finding relevent information for it and to aid in its overhaul.
    Also if anyone has any information on the other preserved Kitsons from Corby; COLWYN (Northampton & Lamport), CONWAY (Middleton).
    Or if there are volunteers signed up on here who have updates on progress etc, it would be grand to get some info.

13. Tonyboy

Tonyboy New Member

Engineer
    ANDREW BARCLAY "2199" 'Victory' Update.

Now nearing the fully stripped down stage. Boiler up and out of saddle but awaiting crane to lift out of frames in the next week or so.
    Rest of chassis fully stripped and wheels waiting to be turned asap. Most of the loco found in good condition and we hope for a speedy return.

Tonyboy.
    [attachment=0:145l60s7]DSCF2453.JPG[/attachment:145l60s7]

14. yorksireenginegroup

yorksireenginegroup Well-Known Member

MECHANIC
    bloody hell tony u dont hang about do you

15. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
    What size (cylinder) is AB2199?

16. Steve

Hi there. Conway falls under my remit but I'm afraid it is a long way down the queue for restoration. As for drawings, these locos were built by Manning, Wardle, Robert Stephenson and Kitson so there is a possible choice of drawings. Armley Mills is a good bet for MW but a black hole as far as drawings are concerned, whatever the builder. Merseyside Maritime Museum hold some MW drawings and the NRM hold some RSH drawings. As for actual Kitson drawings, the likelihood is that they were destroyed. Some drawings of ex Corby locos may have existed at Pen Green and been rescued but I can't give any details.

17. yorksireenginegroup

yorksireenginegroup Well-Known Member

MECHANIC
    12" if what ive been told is correct

18. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Apologies for the invasion of diesels, but this is my current (practical, as opposed to administrative) project, John Fowler & Co 0-4-0DM works number 4210132:

http://nicklloyd.fotopic.net/p58218908.html

Mainstay of Swanage works trains back in the 1980's but withdrawn after clutch failure, which resulted in the clutch being removed and lost along the way. Current intention is to cosmetically restore it in time for the 30th anniversary of the first trains (August 6 1979, so this year), followed by a progressive restoration to working order.

Will post updates along the way if anyone's interested?

19. Avonside1563

This is a thread for Industrial Locos, doesn't say it's purely steam anywhere.... :-k

So on that note, WD820 has had its final drive dismantled to find the cause of the gear box failure a year ago. it is hoped that a repair can be made but if anyone knows of a set of clutch plates we would be happy to hear from them :-k

For info on The loco that went to war have a look here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/wd123.htm

20. Steve

Ah, but it is in the section of the Forum entitled 'Steam locos'! However, as we've asked before for a section on industrial locos and been turned down and it is better to keep industrial loco information together, I suggest we ignore and keep posting. :-$