If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco of the Decade!

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Avonside1563, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Petwall

Petwall Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I belive you are correct about the locos past life. My thoughts are that any locomotive not used to haul trains on the national network are industrials.

2. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Well the Lambton Hetton & Joicey Collieries locos did run trains on the national network. Just to really complicate things.

3. planetpower

planetpower Member

nowt
    As did some Manchester Ship Canal locos.

4. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Bellerophon and her sisters regularly ran on mainline metals as there was a twice daily run to Northwich from Haydock using the colliery locos, and they are even believed to have run excursions to Blackpool in the 1880s for the annual works outing!

5. planetpower

planetpower Member

nowt
    Yeah would love to have seen that, i remember it back at the kwvr and i was always amazed at the turn of speed it used to have.

6. P&JR1854

P&JR1854 New Member

The People's Democratic Republic of the Causey Arc
    If we're going down that route nomination is No. 9600 - that'll upset the Swindonites if we can 'claim' that one for the industrial fraternity!

(Just to get the facts in early, the bible of such matters - Main Line to Industry by F Jones gives the date of arrival at NCB Merthyr Vale as October 1965)

7. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

I remember seeing 9600 inside Canton shed in the mid 70's on its way to the Midlands for preservation. I think that was having its tyres turned before the journey, that was as close as I got to a true NCB pannier.

I also first saw 7760 ( I think ) in LT livery at a early ( for me ) tysley open day.

8. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No, no, carry on. I am a 'self-confessed-for my sins" Swindonite and it certainly been a good loco in the last decade, and if that anoys all the 'Swindonites' that have no 'fun' in them, then that their problom!!!

If we include all engines which weren't apart of the National Network would that include the London Transport locos? casue they weren't really part of the BR systerm!!!