If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco of the Decade!

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Avonside1563, Jan 5, 2010.

1. P&JR1854

P&JR1854 New Member

The People's Democratic Republic of the Causey Arc
    Well 813 is a damn site more of an industrial than a GWR engine, under the copper cap and toilet pot it's a standard Robert Stephenson design albeit copied by Hudswell Clarke for this order. She'll still have the 12 that Watchdog painted on underneath the GWR 'plate too.

I reckon 49 needs to be the winner, it has been an almost constant throughout the decade, was the only industrial at the NRM 1968 do, opened Weardale and starred in plenty of action at Tanfield.

Suppose you could put a shout in for Bowes No. 22 aswell mind, she's been about a bit, been a constant and looks great, sounds great and steams... oh well she looks great!

2. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Yep No.22 should be up there along with WST. The Bowes twins have done a very historic but constantly under threat railway proud. They both look good on coal trains too!

As far as Hawarden is concerned were the Shelton charters in the naughties? Whatever way it should be on the list but as impressive as 900 tonnes is for a little un it is nought for an industrial in the UK in the last decade. The S160 from the Churnet Valley is a true industrial (even worked in the coal industry in China) and lifted about 2000t at Merehead. Now that was very, very, very loud! Think it should be on the list as it has a big fan base and has flown the industrial flag far and wide.

3. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Last of the three Shelton charters was in 1999. I have to be honest and say that we only did 800 tons !.

4. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Having said that Glenalmond, Hawarden has been a very consistent performer at Foxfield for most of the noughties, only bowing out in 2008 after a full 10 years on one set of tubes. I would rate her highly as a very capable and reliable loco... and hurry up with that bloody crane tank so we can start work towards getting her back in traffic again!

5. 12" Coch RSH

12" Coch RSH New Member

loco of the decade for me has to be Backworth No.49 RSH
    Cracking Engine, went to the NRM 1968 thing. (only Industrial to go if i remember correctly) opened weardale, had plenty action at tanfield.

6. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

I did sneak in a quick retube - mid crane tank in 2005, hence two sets of tubes in the last ticket. I could use the same crane that will refit the Dubs boiler & Whiston's to lift out Hawarden's. If the "bell" team want to remove enough bits to make a start they will be very welcome.

7. Silverlink60014

Silverlink60014 Member

Has to be Stagshaw it got the railway through some tough times being the only one available for a long time. Its mantle has been carried on by Renishaw Ironworks no 6

8. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Ah, my mistake on the boiler tubes, doesn't detract from the reliability though. The Belle team have a Robert Heath to crack on with first, nevermind the continuing saga of Haydock's finest(?). Turning into a case of help the aged! :violin:

9. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

going back to the ex mainline locos that had served industry im surprised that no one mensioned the stroudley b class 110 at the ESR after all, if it haddnt been for its collery service the class would have long been extinct

10. Watchdog

Watchdog Member

TUT, how dare thee Mr P&JR bring shame to a certain "Stagshaw"! It clattered, banged, clattered abit more and certainly did make a last clank in 2006 ....... Thats my vote of the decade. Its just these proffesional fireman who run out of steam on that thing! (Runs for cover)

11. P&JR1854

P&JR1854 New Member

The People's Democratic Republic of the Causey Arc
    I am in no way the worst culprit on that one I'm afraid, there is one mainline fireman who has beaten me hands down at running out of steam with Stagshaw... I did however manage to run out of coal, but I'm not taking the blame for that one... I'm too busy taking the blame for everything else! I've got no doubt that come Sunday the snow and ice will be my fault ENTIRELY.

12. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Getting a bit "closeto the edge" up in the North East ! ( See Foxfield Gala thread - yes I am shameless !!)

13. alig8048

alig8048 New Member

Well as the thread title wasn't steam specific I'm going to have to vote for 104 "Llanwern", English Electric 0-6-0 DH at the PBR. Has worked throughout the decade doing everything from the pway and shunts to passenger trains and rescues. In 2004 was the only working loco and with the DMU out of service did everything. Even now it's still being used - had to be called on to asisst at the Santa Specials as well!

here is the wee beastie in action

on the pway http://www.aligrieve.fotopic.net/p51989799.html
    pn the service http://www.aligrieve.fotopic.net/p52287122.html

and on rescue duties http://www.aligrieve.fotopic.net/p50384414.html
    and the santas http://www.aligrieve.fotopic.net/p62590912.html

regards
    AliG

14. Alex G

Alex G New Member

Ali, this is the steam traction section mind!

15. alig8048

alig8048 New Member

16. smiler

smiler New Member

How about these 2?

NCB Monckton No.1 has done a lot of trouble free running at Embsay and has proved to be a very reliable engine and sounded fantastic on 6 coach santa trains!

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/1.html

And Annie an amzng little engine which used to work 3 coach trains in the shouldor season! A 12" Peckett on 3 at Embsay!

Currently being overhauled with the boiler done and ready to go in and now work is being done on the bottom end??

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/9.html

Any thoughts?

And Cranford No 2 is just an amazing engine and will always have a soft spot in my heart!

Smiler

17. Petwall

Petwall Member

What about WD150 Royal Pioneer at Peak Rail
    The only operational steam loco until April 2009 and
    has worked almost every service train for about
    eight years

Pete

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

To be monumentally pedantic; did it ever work in industry? (I thought it went from WD to Hunslet for rebuild, but was never sold into industry and went straight to Dinting for preservation?)

19. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Always thought WD/MOD locos were industrials. Shunting docks and warehouses is industrial to me and to the IRS. If an engine only worked for a nationalised company NCB/BSC etc then that is just working for a different Government department!

20. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

You are probably right, 'twas just an idle thought.