If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

HSB Planning

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by 61624, Mar 20, 2021.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    With work now well advanced on the HSB's new workshops, does anyone know of a web site that gives an insight into their future planning for overhauls and restorations? For instaynce, they seem to keep around 8-9 of the modern 2-10-2Ts in traffic at any one time but do the rotate them with the ones in store as overhauls fall due, or are the stored ones mainly kept as spares donors. with the new facility coming on line, is it intended to increase the operable fleet?

2. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    Most of the runners have had new frames in the last 20 years. Some are basically new locos (99 234 kept little original bar the running gear). Sadly I doubt those in store will see use any time soon.

3. meeee

meeee Member

I think there are four or five of the 2-10-2 locos that have been laid up for a long time and are unlikely to run again. The two stored at Ilfeld are particularly goosed by all accounts.

Two locos recently came back from Meiningen. I think there are two still there as well. I belive 7235 and 7240 are the next targets for heavy overhaul. Hopefully all this work will get the main fleet in good shape. It's been a bit lean in recent years.

Three of the Mallets are out of service. One hasn't run for a long time now. The other two apparently have some sort of issue with the cranks. Maybe we'll see some progress when the new workshop is finished.

Apparently one of the little 0-6-0t is going to be overhauled while the other is cosmetically restored.

Tim

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the info. With the loco shortages of recent years I did wonder if there would be an effort made to expand the operable fleet by by one or two engines. presumably from the newer ones. I do hope that one or more of the Mallets makes it back into steam, though!

5. meeee

meeee Member

It sounds like there has been a lot of work to do on the fleet they have to be honest. About 10 engines have had new frames now. The new workshop should be finished by the autumn which will mean locos don't have to be sent to Meiningen for heavy overhaul, although that capacity will still be there if needed.

There is one mallet in service 5906 that had a major overhaul a few years ago. It seems to only appear on charters since it came back and hasn't taken up its old duties on the Selketalbahn.

Tim