If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Horsham to Ely - 9th December.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Deepgreen, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    With the planned FBU strike on the 9th, the Victoria to Eastbourne run has been moved to the 10th, so does anyone have any information on the fate of the Horsham to Ely run, also on the 9th? UKS still has it running to plan, and the SD web site makes no mention of any change that I can see.

2. bonniville

bonniville New Member

no but the belmond victoria round trip is cancelled on the 9th

3. Deepgreen

I think the BP has been cancelled for quite some time. I don't know if it's related to the strike, but there is a run on the 13th in any case. I still maintain that a steam train working in mid-December, after a very wet autumn with sodden ground and vegetation should not be classified as having a high fire risk!

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The BP runs according to bookings. The 4th is fully booked and the next is on the 13th

5. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

The FBU strike is 0900 on the 9th until 0900 on the 10th so this trip can't operate on 10th unless the departure time is modified. More likely to have the steam section changed, be given a later date or cancelled

6. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  7. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

8. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Return timings look diesel to me... suggests the box will be along for the ride all day...

I wonder if...
    applies ?

10. Deepgreen

The return trip from Ely has always (or at least for some time) been advertised as being diesel from Peterborough to Horsham. Also, again, is this really an 'amber' fire alert period? You try setting fire to anything growing line-side in mid-December without using a flame-thrower!

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I live along this route, the other day I had a mass fire in the garden... flames 4 ft high.. right into a conifier for 2 hours (I didnt look and set the fire before hand doh ! and it was a bit hot to move it)... not even leaf colour change on the tree it's that wet and muddy here nothing burns.

Separately, neither of the posted sets of timings go via Peterborough... its out via Stansted return via Letchworth.

Looking at RTT I dont see a LE/ECS towards Peterborough either, so either Damien the Diesel and Beelzebub the Box are front and rear all day, or the steam loco's are sitting it out in Ely ?

Doesnt look good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

13. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

14. Deepgreen

Yep, the ECSs and both passenger legs are set for 75mph, with the return omitting Peterborough - no steam at all. What a ridiculously risk-averse farce!

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

on steam dreams website (timings page)...

KentYeti likes this.
  16. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    An update thanks to 'uksteam'. <BJ>

Diesel: Horsham-Willesden-Ely-Peterborough and return[Now diesel hauled throughout due to FBU strike sction]

17. hampstead

hampstead New Member

Still steam on their web site.RTC have performed better with the Sussex trip.Discounted standard sold out quickly.

18. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Hey, a VINTAGE diesel. According to the note on the Timings page, as per ADB and a long number.:)

How about this one, it's got steam too!

[​IMG]

ADB968008 likes this.
  19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I wish it was a vintage diesel... if a Warship / Western or Hymek was substituted I'd be all over it... any old loco class which is still in revenue earning service with a mainline operator is not Vintage.. it's just a Cheap Revenue Accumulating Profiteering box.

Oh for a pair of 25s on a railtour... my memories of pairs of 25's on rail tours is the most knackered sound on rails... and tours with them usually ended the same way as steam rail tours :), if they showed up replacing a Black 5... i'm sure seats wouldnt be going to waste, even if it was a game of roulette as to how far the tour would make..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
    KentYeti likes this.
  20. Deepgreen

Yes - if the Christmas Sussex Belle could be moved back a day, why not the Horsham to Ely run? Admittedly it starts before the 0900 strike end time, but with only a small overlap in what are ultra-low risk conditions. The question is; why/how have the current conditions been classified as anything other than an insignificant risk of fire - who assesses this, and do they pay any attention to the actual conditions on the ground? If the risk of fire is classed as being insignificant, then the absence of fire fighters makes no difference to that risk level. NR's OTT risk-averse response needs to be challenged by operators, I think. BTW, with two EMU-related train fires/'spark shower events' in the last ten days, where is the ban on them running - after all, risk is risk, surely (and I'm being only partly facetious here)?