If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hidden? loco

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Dumphrey, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Agreed! - Can everyone please respect the owners wishes and PLEASE not post addresses, personal details etc on the site! Apart from respecting privacy - the owners have chosen not to put this information in the public domain, there is also the fact that publishing them here could get us into trouble! If you wish to discuss details can I suggest you use the private messaging facility if you wish to discuss such!

Thanks

Pete

2. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    All that info is in the public domain on the web and I specifically did not identify the farm even though that and the post code are there to be seen. I would never divulge personal information that I had obtained from privileged sources. I value my own privacy as much as anybody else. However, if I have offended anyone, I apologise.

Ian

3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I believe I only mentioned the the road (which is a very very very long road), but sorry all the same

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

No worrys guys!!! It's just that as a moderator I have to consider the best interests of the forum (in the eyes of the law we are classed as a publisher). Thats why I suggested continuing the conversation via pm. If a load of enthusiasts had started to hassle the guy (eg uninvited visits etc) and we were found to be the source then we wouldn't be popular with him! Hope that makes things clearer!

Regards
    Pete

5. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    I regret that I didn’t thank Bob for posting the link to the Porter rep photos. Strangely, I had sen the one of the front view before but not the rear view! Thanks, Bob.

I have taken the liberty of repeating the following paragraph in case it got overlooked in the ensuing “knuckle rap”.

The 18" Jaywick loco of the Steeple Grange LR is apparently stored off-site at Tansley, which is about a mile east of Matlock. There is no reference to it on the Steeple Grange website. Does anyone know how much of it remains? Ken seems to think it may only be the frame. Are there any photos of it anywhere? Was it constructed in house or who was the builder?

I have ordered a copy of “Rails to Jaywick Sands”; hopefully that might answer a few qestions.

Ian

6. the jaywick loco is somewhat more complete than it was i have an interest in the engine and have found that its about 90% there now

7. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    Thanks Jud! That's good to hear.
    It's one of those locos that have been out of sight and sound for so long that I had even forgotten all about it until Ken mentioned it a few days ago. The VB scene is looking quite good now. Long may it last.

Ian

8. Charobin

Charobin Member

As an addendum to my last post - there is a short article on the 'Trevaylor Farm Tramway' in the latest issue of 'The Narrow Gauge', which includes a photo of the Roanoke vertical boilered loco in its current state.

Charlie

9. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    Thanks again, Charlie. I'll ensure I catch up with that.

Ian

10. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    My copy of ‘Rails to Jaywick Sands’ arrived today and it throws quite a lot of light onto the VB loco.
    It was built to a design by the line’s engineer, Commander CF Parsons RNR retd., who was also one of the original builders of the railway, based on scaled down full sized Sentinel drawings. It had (quote) “a vertical water tube boiler (250psi pressure), Lune Valley pattern firebox and twin cylinders. “ It transpires that the “motive power unit” came from a Stanley Steamer car engine and the loco was built in the railway’s Crossways workshop. It weighed about 2½ tons in running order and, on test, successfully hauled a 12 ton load at 20 mph and was very reliable in service.
    In 1947, having been laid up since 1939, it was sold, together with the coaching stock, to a Tommy Mann for use on the Fairy Glen Miniature Railway at New Brighton, which was in effect a fairground novelty ride. The ‘Sentinel’, as it was always known at Jaywick, was converted to look like a conventional tank engine with dummy boiler and bunker. It was used extensively, gradually deteriorating, until 1951 when another loco was obtained. Now named ‘Tim Bobbin’ it saw less and less service until it was seen, on a siding, out of use, in 1959. The line was abandoned in 1965 and all the items that did not go to the Ravenglass and Eskdale, including the, by now dismantled, ‘Sentinel’ were bought by Mr Bill Morris and transported to Bromyard. By 1984 what was left had been dumped in the undergrowth from where, I presume, they were rescued and reached their present whereabouts under the care of the Steeple Grange LR.
    I await the next instalment!

Ian

11. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

Extend the interest in VBTs to 15" gauge, and there are at least two to add: "Flower Of The Forest" at Ravenglass, and an incomplete loco started by Terry Stanhope and now at Cleethorpes.

12. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    Very interesting, Ken.
    Whilst only somewhat intrigued by the under 18" gauges and almost anything steam powered will grab my attention, I have (shamefully) never really taken on board much information regarding them, much as I like the Ratty. However almost anything vertical boilered running on rails of less than 1435mm gauge will immediately divert me from what I otherwise ought to be doing; so thank you once again for your help and info. I guess the fascination comes from having practically ignored them for most of my alloted (almost) three score years and ten and I'm desperately trying to catch up whilst I still can.

Ian

13. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    Another one has come to my notice:
    Henschel 15540 (1917) 0-8-0T Brigadelok.

I understand that this loco left Penrhyn, for a location in Surrey, sometime earlier this year.

Does anyone know its whereabouts and is this a change of ownership?

Incidently I've not been able to find out any info on the VB loco "started" by the late Terry Stanhope, mentioned by Ken, and thought to have been moved to Cleethorpes CLR.
    Does anyone have anything further on this project - state, location, future prospects etc.

Thanks again for any help.

Ian

14. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A breif glimpse of the engine in Sentinel format at New Brighton at 09:36.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsQYpGmzkp4

I believe at 4:47 is later footage of the ex-Jaywick loco with dummy boiler and bunkers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtt4BntbClw

15. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    My grateful thanks to 'houhjtonga' for the links.

Delightful sequences, the first of which must have been shortly after the Jaywick was moved to New Brighton. The second clearly shows the re-modelled form (how not to re-model a locomotive) and illustrates the comments from the book. I would imagine that these are quite important as part of the loco's history.

Quite nostalgic - my young childhood period, reminding me of trips on the lines at Chessington Zoo, Dreamland at Margate & the Far Tottering & Oystercreek Railway at the Feastival Gardens, Battersea.

Ian

16. Charobin

Charobin Member

The Trevaylor tram will (provisionally) be at Launceston later this year - dates to follow shortly....

17. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    Thanks for that! I shall look out fo the dates and, hopefully, make the long trek to Launceston.

Ian

18. Charobin

Charobin Member

Relatively short notice - but - the Trevaylor Tram will be at Launceston for the October Half Term Week (Sunday 24th to Friday 29th).

This will be the first opportunity to see it in public.

Further info (and photos for those who are unaware what it looks like!) on the LSR website.

Charlie

19. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    A long time coming but thanks for the "heads up", Charlie.
    I made the trek to Launceston on the last day of ops and not only saw the Trevaylor loco but had a short footplate ride with the owner, who is a charming personality and divulged some more information about the loco. Apparently he intended to cloak it in a "Toby style" bodywork in order to provide some weatherproofing in bad/wet weather but never got around to completeing it. He and Nigel Bowman were both very hospitable and I and two of my grandsons had an extremely entertaing visit. Nigel & Kay run a really nice operation and I wish them very well for their future extension plans.

20. Dumphrey

Dumphrey New Member

Retired company director
    and I have across a mention of another VBT of which I was previously unaware.
    Thumbing through the November edition of "Old Glory" I came across a report of the September Bedfprdshire Steam & Country Fayre with a photo of a NG VBT on display. Apparently Bedfordshire Steam Engine Preservatiob Society member, John Forshaw, constructed it from scrap found in his garden (I believe that he has other steam powered vehicles) around an Aveling-Barford boiler. Apparently it has visited a couple of NG lines but I have obviously missed or overlooked the events.
    Does anyone know anything about this mini-beast and what gauge it is; presumably 2 foot nominal?

Ian