If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Help For Heroes, now 25th February 2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Dan Hill, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I was just looking at this trip 2 days ago, and see that it has now gone from the website and if trying to select the tour it now says "please contact the booking office"... Obviously something's amiss.?. Maybe a wise decision I took in holding off.

As with most ambitious or one off tours...buyer beware, I wait until closer to the date to see if the wine will turn to vinegar... Sadly it rarely turns into champagne.

2. james1983

james1983 Member

Just to inform passenger on this trip that includes myself, I've just been e-mailed the below. A real shame that this gauging issue is still on going and the power that be are unable to resolve. Makes me worry for 6023 and when it returns to it's old haunt's!

Dear Passenger

We have been working diligently to resolve the operational issues that have affected the Help For Heroes train planned as a commemoration of the return of main line steam and a fund raiser for the Help For Heroes Charity. In our endeavours it has become clear that it would not be possible to operate the train as planned and deliver the large donation to the charity. Operational challenges, including gauging concerns with locomotive 6024 King Edward I, means that the train could not run in its original format and has meant a fundamental review of the situation.

All partners in this endeavour remain committed to the fund raising principle of this train. It has therefore been agreed by all that Steam Dreams will promote and underwrite the Help For Heroes train and that all profits from the 1st March St David's Day Cathedrals Express from London to Cardiff will go to the charity. I am very pleased to be able to say that all partners have continued to support the aims of this project and all costs are being reduced as much as possible to ensure the maximum amount is raised for the charity. The train will be hauled by 6024 King Edward 1, made available by its owning charity free of charge. Additionally we will also be undertaking a raffle on the Valentine's Cathedrals Express on 12th February 2012, with all takings going to Help For Heroes. All partners have agreed that a minimum five figure donation will be made to the charity in due course.

Your reservation has been carried forward to the 1st March 2012 and you do not need to do anything else. If you cannot make the new date, then we can transfer your booking to our 12th February train to Bath and Wells.

We do apologise for the change of plans, but I do hope that you understand that it has been unavoidable, and I look forward to welcoming you on board.

Yours faithfully

I'm glad I'm booked onto 6024's run to Cardiff now!

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

So I guess that's it then.

4. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

This is ridiculous. Given that KE1 has been lowered how can it not fit. What are NotworkFail doing to the clearances on our railways? How long before the HSTs and MK3 vehicles are judged to be out of gauge.

NotworkFail has a statutory duty to maintain the railway to certain standard. It is clear this they are failing to do.
    Let the Rail Regulator return the system to the correct gauge and surcharge the Directors of NR who have not just failed to protect this National Asset but allowed it to become seriously compromised while paying themselves obscene bonuses..

5. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

When so much work is apparently being done to increase the loading gauge for large size containers, how is so much of the network ending up with smaller clearances than it used to have!?

As for 6023 the expense of getting it main line approved may not be worthwhile.....................

6. jane

jane Guest

This run was very close to my heart having a son-in -law in the army for 25 years and i am very sad that it can not now go: but full marks to steam dream and all the other that have put there heads together and are willing to transfer there idea to raise funds for our lads to the 1st march run with the king;well done

all the best to you all and hope you all have a wonderfull christmas;
    jane;

7. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

That's a disappointment, I cant make either of the new dates so refund here I come.

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Looking at Uksteam... This would be the first cancelation of 2012

9. james1983

james1983 Member

It's a shame for myself as well. Been booked on it since it was first advertised, nice long run behind 6024, for a worthy cause and probably the last time I'll be able to take my father on the mainline. However it won't deter me from any other trips. What is annoying is that the route is cleared for W10 route clearance as far as I'm aware, but a container wagon doesn't behave like a steam loco at 75mph when trying to work out centre and end throws I assume this would be difficult? I'm not an expert on 6024 and everything collett, but I assume it's the front bogie doing all the work therefore with a long running frame she would theorectically be worse off on centre throw. I can only think of the princess class having a longer running frame. Either way it is such a shame on what no doubt would of been an epic run.

10. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just checked my e-mails and found the letter from SD. Very disappointing that the original run cannot happen. But credit to all involved for not giving up on raising funds for Help for heroes and deciding to spread the fundraising over the two King trips. We were going to go on the 1st March run anyway.

All this gauging kerfuffle does make me wonder whether it's worth getting 6023 ML approved though.

11. Stephensons_Ghost

Stephensons_Ghost New Member

Its a great shame that this trip has been hit, but well done to all for keeping the fund raising going.

Is it the width of the loco causing the problems rather than the height? Is there anything that can be done about width? I've read about cab roofs being modified but not much on changes to the width of locomotives.

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

The problem with width is generally over the cylinders 99% of the time, to change their width you'd be making a major mechanical alteration to the loco at a huge cost, probably to the point where it ceases to be a King, a cab roof in comparison is easy and purely cosmetic.