If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Help For Heroes, now 25th February 2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Dan Hill, Jun 23, 2011.

1. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Re: Help For Heroes/40th Anniversary of Mainline Steam Return Special October 8th

Has it not sold well?

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Re: Help For Heroes/40th Anniversary of Mainline Steam Return Special October 8th

The Club 6024 newsletter received 1- 2 weeks ago advised that due to gauging problems the planned members' day trip on the 22/10/11 Oxford - Worcester - Stratford upon Avon " looks as thought it will have to be revised substantially , and it may not now result in visiting Stratford_Upon-Avon for lunch. Alternatives are being researched etc".

3. stephen

stephen Member

why is this train postponed? im gutted, i had hotel booked ready and 1 week before they cancel this tour. its an absolute joke. ive now lost £50. will steam dreams be offering refunds?

4. Robbo

Robbo Member

They almost certainly will offer refunds which is what I will be asking for. It wont be the same in Feb 12 as the weather will be be worse, the days shorter and it will have missed the 40th anniversary by several months!

5. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional

If I say anything that lovely Neil Scott will make some smert erse comment and I'm so worried about being picked on!

The infrastructure owner yet again making promises it can't keep with its fingers crossed behind its back - and walking away whistling Dixie when it gets it wrong!

What other eight figure industry would tolerate this nonsense? The problem here is its a high profile charity that takes the hit - well done Network Rail!

6. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

You're such a sensitive soul Frank, I'm sure you're much happier when people are playing up to your ego and making comments about how wonderful you are.

7. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Couple of posts removed to Train of hope thread, nothing to do with Frank and Neil's posts above...can't get the staff these days... :tape::whistle:

Neil.

8. sowerbylad

sowerbylad Guest

Totally agree Frank, what a shambles. Don't Notwork rail know the clearances are on their own system?
    Notwork rail are a disgrace IMHO.

9. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

From what I have heard, heroic efforts were made by the organisers to sort this, hence the last minute announcement. They didn't abandon the scheme until every last avenue had been explored. Yes, I had tickets booked as well, and yes, a hotel booked in London (although, knowing the railtour industry, this booking was made on a refundable basis) and yes, I will lose out - will I be on the train on the 25th of February (note the date)? Of course!

Foxy

10. Paul42

Letter received this morning confirming 6024 is out of gauge in the West Midlands, and cannot run through Birmingham at present. " Although this is considered a temporary situation we have not choice but to delay the running of the train until the New Year so that these problems can be overcome." Both loco's confirmed for revised date.

11. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer

Had a letter in the post about the postponement this morning. Very disappointing. Hopefully the weather will be okay in February.
    I had a feeling it might be cancelled or postponed though. It can't have been filling up very well as none of the classes were full or nearly full on the SD website. It has been promoted in the mags for ages and I was expecting it to be pretty full by now due to it's significance both for the preservation movement and the charity. However, the railway mags are the only places I have seen the trip promoted. I could find nothing about it on the Help For Heroes website when I searched for it before booking it up.

12. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant

Do you think that clearances never change? Track isn't a static object, it moves. Combine that with any engineering work that goes on and you have a reason as to why these things are always in flux.

13. Paul42

It is a trip that is more likely appeal to enthusiasts than the general public. Having two destinations Hereford and Birmingham - a couple of hours in each and limited time to see anything

14. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

When I was an engineer, work was done to specification. If there was an error, it was rectified and appropriate compensation paid. No laser surveying kit or laptops in those days either.

15. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

No just competent persons doing the work!

16. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor

shocking state of affairs

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.

I don't agree Paul, our trip today, the ToH, was only scheduled for 1 hour 40 minutes in Carlisle and yet there were very few seats left and very few enthusiasts as well. This made plain by the fact that I was able to get my favourite front window firemans side, front coach, for the climb of Greyrigg and Shap without having to stand there from soon after arriving at Carnforth.

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I agree today's tour wasn't an enthusiasts trip by any length (sure there's a few) but many passengers didn't carry a camera and couldn't name the engine. (tbh this appealed to me).
    The message of toh was clear from the begining... It's a day tour to raise money and awareness for charity... Therefore it has mass Market appeal.

The Hfh doesn't have the same message, it reads like a tour for enthusiasts celebrating an event, which as an aside giving money to a charity... If it was all about the charity, then the locomotive issue wouldn't matter ( use a different one).. But as the date and engine are significant.. Losing either will impact the charity... Maybe the new date will focus more on the charity and less of the event, and thus appeal to a wider Market ?

Either way the significant date is lost. (but enthusiast significant tours traditionally haven't always done well? 1t57 for example). Maybe enthusiasts need to celebrate their achievements more ?

19. Paul42

Ralph

I believe today's train was all dining, so a short time at a destination where you have not to get a meal is not such a big issue.

One of the biggest moans on trips in the south, from my experience as mainly a standard class passenger is lack of time at at a destination, either shorter than advertised
    ( Swanage trips is a good example - Brochures say 3 hours always end up about 2 hours - even members of this forum think 2 hours is too short at Swanage.) or delayed on route to a destination ( Lincoln is a good example for trips that start at Victoria or in the Southern Home Counties and run up the East Coast mainline has been raised by Green Five - most have arrived late) .

Paul

20. Paul42

I think you have summed it up well. Hereford is not a regular destination, and how many tours have gone to Birmingham?

If tour had started Steam rather than Diesel to Hereford, a break of 3 - 4 hours, then Steam to Birmingham ,short break to change loco, and return to London behind Diesel it might have appealed more to the general public.