If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Cotswold festival of steam 26-28 May 2018

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Andy B, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Chuffington

Chuffington New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Why are you wasting money turning engines on a lorry, given how much it costs to run a gala wasting money like this is just irresponsible, add to that the damage that can be caused to an engine by such movements it hasn't been thought out to well!

2. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

If it's been budgeted for then I doubt it is of much concern! If there's already a lorry there, why not make use of it!

And in terms of the potential damage that could be caused, there are countless loco movements that happen every year using a lorry that go without a hitch, locos arrive safely and undamaged in one piece because the companies doing it know what they're doing! I'm sure a little trip around the car park is nothing compared to a long distance trip between railways! If we didn't use lorries to transport locos around then nothing would ever go anywhere! And without a turntable/triangle to turn locos on, how else would you do it?

Kudos to the gala team for giving some new photographic opportunities by having 7903 facing the opposite direction!

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  3. Herald

Herald Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Not sure if it applies to GWSR but many railways like to turn both locomotives and stock, if they can, to even out tyre wear and also balance deterioration of paint as prevailing weather often affects one side much more than the other.

Spamcan81 and Bean-counter like this.
  4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

It's not going to cost that much when we've got 7 vehicles arriving by lorry anyway. At least one or two will probably be parked up at Toddington all weekend regardless. As for damage, all our locos have been on and off low-loaders with no problems before, yes it's a risk, but given the low incidence rate it's clearly one all the loco owners are prepared to take.

5. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

What is probably going to be parked up at Toddington, on which weekend?

6. flying scotsman123

Sorry, trailers for loco transport. Last couple of years I've noticed one or two trailers parked up over the gala weekend, presumably no point returning them to the depot only to come straight back for a loco if it's only there for the weekend.

7. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

I see what you mean, given that I've heard 5197 & 6430 are not in action after the event, it makes sense to keep their trailers about. Not so sure about 6023 & 70013 as they are apparently staying until 10th and 3rd June respectively.

8. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

During the event itself, I shall be doing my usual YouTube shots. But instead of the usual shots at the event, I have opted for Public Vantage Points to get shots from.

After the timetable was released, I made notes of which loco I would get on film at which location. Some examples are 5197 + 35006 @ Hayles Abbey, 70013 @ Kayte Lane, 6430 @ Laverton and 7903 + 6023 @ Dixton Cutting, as well as many others.

I shall be visiting GWSR itself after the event with the intention of getting a ride behind the visitors that are doing extra days, as well as some close up/departure shots.

Out of the visitors at the event, 70013 is my favourite because a) I am a fan of the Britannia Pacifics, b) Its my 4th time seeing it, and the 2nd time I get it on film.

9. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

I hope you are donating money to the railway during the gala itself.

10. Chuffington

Chuffington New Member

Just because it has been budgeted for doesn't mean its still isn't a waste of money, you are not going to get a return let alone any profit on doing so the haulier is not going to do it for free tying up a tractor and trailer all day he will be charging the time which isn't cheap.
    There are any number of incidents of locos going onto trailers if some thing does happen were is the money coming from for said repair and who is going to do it!

11. flying scotsman123

Oh do calm down!

As we've discussed, in all likelihood there will be a trailer sat around at Toddington all weekend anyway, so extra cost will be minimal.

As for damage risk, loco owners make the decision balancing out the risk, they own the loco, they know best.

12. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

How else do you suggest they turn the engines to even out tyre wear for example? The locos aren’t just turned for fun there are sound operational reasons to which outweigh the marginal risk of putting it on a trailer.

Spamcan81 likes this.
  13. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

No one is saying they are going to do it for free! Sure some might say "oh well we're going there anyway, we'll do that for you at no extra cost", but we can't assume that! I am fully aware of the cost implications of hiring a tractor and trailer from a haulier for such an activity, I am organising a gala myself at the moment!!!

As has already been stated, there may well be one around for the entire weekend, which is entirely down to the haulier in question as to whether it is cost effective for them to do that, so cost would no doubt be lower than bringing one in JUST to turn a loco for an event.

As for paying for repairs to potential damage that could happen, I'm sure that is something that would be discussed between the owning railway, hiring railway, and haulier as to how it happened and who (if anyone) was responsible. I'm sure it's not something that is on the minds of everyone when loco moves happen because it happens so rarely!

At the end of the day, if engines don't go on trailers, you would have the same gala every year at every railway and it would get very boring very quickly. The only railways who could hire anything in would be those connected to the mainline, which would cost even more money. Would that be a waste of money? You tell me.

14. rolage2

rolage2 New Member

Are there any plans for installing a turntable at the GWSR in the longer term?

15. flying scotsman123

An aspiration, but nothing that could even optimistically be called a plan at the moment.

16. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Honeybourne West Loop would be a good site for it.

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  17. flying scotsman123

Only if we extend track there! :)

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  18. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Of course - but it's a huge area, just before the line is crossed by the Oxford Worcester line. 10 tracks wide, half a mile long...
    There may be an article on HWL in the next Cornishman....

19. rolage2

rolage2 New Member

Would there be enough room for a turning triangle on the North side of the Oxford line if the extension into Honeybourne station is built. BTW how does one obtain a copy of the Cornishman - the forthcoming HWL article sounds interesting?

20. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Well yes, but. There's been a huge dump of spoil in the middle and I don't know if you can get through as is. Certainly there was a triangular junction there.
    But the article is about a yard that used to be south of there, south of the Mickleton road.
    The Cornishman is due out in a week or so, and you can get a copy at the Toddington shop.
    There's a picture of the yard here:
    http://www.hondawanderer.com/Honeybourne_West_Loop_Junction_1979.htm

It strikes me an idea to get to here first, and establish a base from which a short spur will take you to Honeybourne FGW station, which is behind the spoil heaps and with an extremely cramped site.
    This site is big - 10 tracks wide. Imagine what you could use it for...

toplight likes this.