If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Cotswold Festival of Steam 25th-27th May 2024

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Ben Jenden, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A very impressive event, I really must go there more often. A few of my pictures taken yesterday

_DSC1051.jpg _DSC1065.jpg _DSC1085.jpg _DSC1092.jpg _DSC1108.jpg _DSC1112.jpg

ykin01, wazza588, 3ABescot and 19 others like this.
  2. Poolbrook

Poolbrook New Member Friend

Retired
    Would the gentleman who mislaid his note book in the middle carriage of the 12.30 narrow gauge train at Toddington on Saturday 25 May 2024 please contact the railway as we have found the book and would like to return it to him. Contact via toddington.ngr@gmail.com or by replying to the message on our Facebook page which is Toddington Narrow Gauge Railway.

3. Clive Hanley

Clive Hanley Member

Accountant
  4. DanielsTrains

DanielsTrains New Member

My Video from the event, filmed at various locations on Saturday 25th

Bob Millard likes this.
  5. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Just back from a great day at the GWSR, thanks to all who made it such a great gala.

First time I've been for nearly 25 years, what a delightful and friendly railway, would be back much more regularly if we didn't live so far away

5944, acorb and flying scotsman123 like this.
  6. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

The 3 finest new builds on show together, a vindication of Churchward's forward thinking and a contrast to the design flaws besetting Tornado.
    A touch of gala time on saturday with the final departure from Cheltenham 65 minutes late was taken in good heart.
    On the lineside I saw the well sighted Kaytes Lane foot crossing lost to a permitted new site development by the traveller community.

7. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I don't think it's permitted... the council is aware, and we are advised to stay out of it. To increase the size of the grounds they occupy they poured soil over the wing wall of the bridge :mad:
    I noticed that the footpath was barely used (from impressions in the grass) and that someone seemed to be moving the route of the footpath with the use of fencing.

8. RHDRfanatic

RHDRfanatic New Member

As someone who couldn't do the gala and can however do Wednesday and the locos say TBC does anyone know what's meant to be running please steam wise. If it's any of the visitors will finally get my chance. Thanks!

9. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

A superb event, many thanks to everyone who made it happen!
    Not many times you get to see 6 GWR locos in steam built over the span of (if my calculations are correct) 99 years!

Wife, dog and I opted for today rather than Saturday (guessing, apparently correctly, that the draw of being first to ride behind 6880 would lead to full & standing trains). It was certainly still busy but there were plenty of seats available on most trains and all pretty civilised.
    It was great to finally get a ride behind the 'Grange' and to my non-expert eye, she certainly seemed superbly turned out and performing well!
    Despite a bit of late running (rumours of a track circuit failure), the non-stop train with Grange and Hall did manage the whole run non-stop!

The volunteers as always were very friendly, even remaining good-humoured while having to put up with numpties jostling to get the 'perfect photo' of the Grange and getting upset if anyone dared walk past!

Was a bit disappointed that the the cafe at Toddington had gone down to a very limited 'cold food only' menu for the gala. I can understand why, to get higher throughput, but it did mean we missed out on our customary sausage bap and had to opt for a cheeseburger from one of the vans in the car park instead.

The shuttle bus worked very well, though I did have to direct a couple of people who hadn't realised it now stops outside Tesco Express rather than in the station forecourt.
    The main line trains home less so.... ended up in a taxi back from New Street after CrossCountry had a bit of a cancellation spree!

Looking forward to our next visit!

DSC_0545b.jpg
    Cousins with a 75 year age gap! 6880 and 7903 posed together at Broadway.

10. james143611

james143611 New Member

Office Services Assistant
    Had an excellent day on Saturday on my first time to the event, and thank you all for the help on the lineside spots but didn't try anything south of Winchcombe in the end mostly as workings wise it looked best to be at the North end so could also cover workings between Winchcombe and Broadway

Started off linesiding around Hayles Abbey area and fields towards Toddington, then got in the car to head to Winchcombe, school parking was a bit confusing, wasn't sure which of the 2 gates was the right one, no signs and no one there I wasn't sure when it was closing, so rather than risking my car being locked in at 6pm I tried Winchcombe station and by chance there was one parking space available!

Got my ticket, went on the Hall to Toddington, got hot food from the van opposite cafe, but for the excessive price the chips were awful, but I stayed around to capture the Grange + Manor double header, what an amazing sight that was, then spent the rest of the evening at Winchcombe...still haven't done the bit to Broadway!

Hats off to all the volunteers and the loco groups for their hard work, was an outstanding event, if I had the energy I'd have driven up the next day!

My video from the event:

3ABescot likes this.
  11. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

i took the long journey down to the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railways 'Cotswold Festival of Steam' yesterday by train from Yorkshire to Cheltenham Spa
    7 locos working, 6880 Betton Grange, 2999 Lady of Legend, 2807, 7903 Foremarke Hall, 9351, 7820 Dinmore Manor & 35006 Peninsular & Oriental Line S. N. CO.
    Also on view in the shed was 3850

6880 Betton Grange and 7903 Foremarke Hall at Cheltenham Racecourse station
    https://railway-photography.smugmug...tival-of-steam-Monday-27th-May-2024/i-b23NJb3

Neil

3ABescot likes this.
  12. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

I'm in a similar position but can't make it until the weekend. I emailed them several days ago but no reply yet, I guess they are recovering from a very busy gala. The loco roster is shown here:
    https://www.gwsr.com/facilities/locomotive-roster

So far, nothing shown for steam allocations.

13. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

The Gala FB page has just advised 6880 will run every public running day until 19th June. @3ABescot.

bluetrain, RHDRfanatic and 3ABescot like this.
  14. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Thanks very much, great news.

Johnb, RHDRfanatic and JBTEvans like this.
  15. RHDRfanatic

RHDRfanatic New Member

Fantastic thanks! Toddington bound tomorrow it is

JBTEvans and 3ABescot like this.
  16. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Just a word of praise for whoever runs the GWSR Facebook account, my other half had a query re our visit and messaged them via Facebook prior to 6am the other morning (she is an early riser!!) and got an almost immediate reply.

3ABescot likes this.
  17. beavis

beavis New Member

Broadway Evening. May 25th 2024

Attached Files:

18. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Wsr mogul 9352 also out tomorrow and Thursday. Apologies for not replying about grange earlier! Saint should be out at some point in the next couple of weeks too, will let folks know when dates confirmed.

RHDRfanatic, Mick45305, acorb and 2 others like this.
  19. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

How do you get all these mad photographers to Broadway?
    IMG_20240528_143304840.jpg
    By Southern Railway!

RHDRfanatic, Jdwitts and JBTEvans like this.
  20. Jdwitts

Jdwitts New Member

Huge thanks to the staff and volunteers at the GWSR for an amazing and well-run weekend. My first visit to the line, and I certainly picked a good one! I heard (perhaps unofficially) that the event 'broke even' on Saturday, so it seems to have been very successful. The timetable was interesting, the locos looked and sounded superb, and everyone I met was friendly and helpful. Special thanks to the crew of 7820 for a brilliant footplate ride yesterday afternoon, all superb ambassadors for the line.