If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Cotswold Festival of Steam 2015: 23rd to 25th May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Great Western Steam, Feb 3, 2015.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting to see the evening trains have remained, but only for the one day, as opposed to two last time. Hopefully will be more popular this year, especially as I assume an evening ticket will be available once again? Last year it started at the very reasonably time of roughly 4pm I think.

As for P&O, I'm sat looking at the latest Cornishman report at the moment (usually published on the website some tie later). As far as I can work out, the summary is as follows:

• The three main steam feed pipes have been tested and fitted
    • The main copper water delivery pipes on the fireman's side have been completed
    • Loco break gear has had final adjustments
    • Things are being done to the connecting rods including machining of bearings
    • Tender brake rigging work ongoing
    • Operating agreement has been signed for the whole ten years at Toddington, with occasional visits elsewhere
    • Insurance inspector and cold examination mentioned more than once in the article
    Bearing in mind this was probably written in late December/early January, so more has been done since then, and the steam loco dept. blog has mentioned fitting of the con-rods are imminent. There was talk of the inspector for cold examination due in February, but I cannot for the life of me remember where I heard that, so I may be making it up... Overall in my very humble opinion I'd say more likely than not, although I'd like to stress I'm not involved in anyway, only my own thoughts. There was no mention in the article of what was left to do or any indication of dates whatsoever. Oh, one more thing, the loco dept. had an MIC on Bulleid pacifics including how to drive them a few weeks ago...

MatthewCarty and siquelme like this.
  2. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Work looks to be going really well on the loco, being a 35006 member that cant visit the loco the society is really good at sending you links to photo gallerys that are updated montly so you dont have to wait for the magazine to see how progress is going. I believe work still outstanding is completion of the tender's brake gear, the installiton of the electrical system, buy & fit up all the rubber hoses, make and fit the coupling chains - so nothing major outstanding... then off course the all important boiler inspection.

MatthewCarty likes this.
  3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    I can't visit this event but will be visiting the line on the 9th May on a Rail tour (via a connecting bus laid on by Uk Railtours ) Will the locos listed all be at the railway well before the Festival? Looking forward to seeing 35006 :)

4. flying scotsman123

I doubt all of them will but you might be lucky in that one arrives early enough, now that the railway has a photo charter charter so to speak hopefully one might come a bit early to do some. I'm very much hoping all of the locos stay for longer than just the weekend, as I won't be there for it either! :( In previous years visiting locos haven't stuck around too long, but with most of our locos going on holiday I'm ever hopeful one might stay a little longer this time!

5. Great Western Steam

Great Western Steam New Member

I've been told by a member of the P & O team and I've also read on the GWSR Steam Blog, that she is very close to being ready now and some time in the next month will be steamed and possibly a proving run. I know a similar thing has been said year after year but fittings to the loco such as connecting rods and the hooter suggest to me that she's got to be close now!!!

MatthewCarty likes this.
  6. flying scotsman123

Just because they've been put on doesn't mean they'll stay, the.smoke deflectors proved that, there been on, off, on, off and possibly on again I think! Wish I'd be able to see its first test run through.Winchcombe.but unlikely I fear with the running season upon us, probably won't be a Saturday. :(

7. siquelme

Tut Tut, you might be allowed a break from all your revision if you ask your dad sweet enough ;)

8. flying scotsman123

Nought to do with revision, just that with trains running, they won't do the test run on a Saturday in case something goes wrong and holds things up, and I'm only able to go in on Saturdays. Unless it goes out to the easter holidays, then I can do midweek again and I might have a chance... Either way, first time I see P&O at the head of a train steaming past the workshops I'm dropping everything and going for a ride! :D

9. siquelme

Good man!

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

"As the wheel spin, keep opening and closing the regulator while loudly yelling start ya b*****d!" :D

11. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I remember in the 2007 event 88 arriving by low loader at about 1 o' clock on the Saturday of the event. She still managed to pilot a spam can on the last train, as planned!

12. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

I'm looking at making the journey down to the GWSR for the Steam Gala, and it will be my 1st ever visit. Does anyone know if there are any buses that run from Cheltenham Spa & Cheltenham Racecourse??

13. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Yeah Stagecoach service D every 10 mins I think it runs. The railway have put on vintage buses at some galas too.

Jeff Albiston likes this.
  14. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It's every 10 mins throughout the day during the week and Saturdays but runs half hourly on a sunday - Timetable - http://www.stagecoachbus.com/uploads/d.pdf

15. Andy B

Andy B Member

We ran our own heritage bus service from Cheltenham spa station to the gwsr racecourse station. The plan is to do the same again. So don't worry about getting there!

Jeff Albiston likes this.
  16. Great Western Steam

17. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

Get the traction engines to do trailer shuttles between Toddington and Winchcombe. Seriously.

18. flying scotsman123

Seems to be focussing on the SR and GWR, so perhaps one more loco from each company? As I've said, I'm taking the holiday theme a little too literally as I'm on one for the duration of the gala, so hopefully nearer the time we'll know when locos are arriving and I don't miss everything.

Traction engine shuttles between Winchcombe and Toddington would be good fun, I know the road route is only a few minutes at normal speed. Would be good to have them moving round, if only a little trundle around Winchcombe car park (I forget what else is usually there - some sort of food van, I think that's usually it).

I wonder if we'll get something on the loading road at Toddington, assuming P&O is ready of course. :) I think it was a good attraction last year, with steps to look inside the cab etc. Something appropriate to the theme that's not operational...

19. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

20. Great Western Steam

Could be on the loco loading bay!!!!