If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Christmas Cracker Gala

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by michaelh, Dec 24, 2010.

1. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I see from the website that it is planned that this gala should go ahead - will all the trains have a diesel at the north end?

2. RASDV

RASDV Member

Hi,
    I don't think so. There is another thread for this gala though: here it is

3. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

The GWSR are going through some pretty tough times at present so can I urge anyone who can do to support this Gala.

Cheers

John

4. RASDV

RASDV Member

agreed

5. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

As the dates for the Gala are inconvenient for me, I am thinking of travelling up either tomorrow or possibly over the weekend, for the revised Blue service (one steam/ one diesel). Anyone got any idea what locos are likely to work these services? The Loco Roster on their website doesn't go beyond 11th Dec. Thanks.

6. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

Rang them this AM. A very helpful man took my number, and rang back a bit later. It was 2807 on the north end, and the 8F on the south end. Had three trips from Toddington to Gotherington and back. and 2 over the viaduct. Good fun. Slightly puzzled why the train sits at Toddington for about 35-40 mins, before departing at 1615, when it is nearly dark. There were 3 passengers on that train, including me. If it was a bit earlier, more families etc might use it. The previous train leaves at 1430, having sat for about an hour...

7. RASDV

RASDV Member

I visited the gala yesterday (29th December) and had a super time! Special thanks must go to the crew of No:7903 'Foremarke Hall', though for the little display of whistles at Hayles Bridge! A grand day out despite Nos:3717 & 92203 not running and a bit of a shame about the infrequent trains to Gotherington; watching just one train there rather than catching it would have resulted in a wait of over an hour for the next one.
    Any way, as normal you can find pictures, videos and reports here:
    Video
    Photos

PS:
    The locomotive allocations are as follows:
    A = No:45160 - facing Cheltenham
    B= No:5542 - facing Cheltenham
    C=No:2807 - facing Cheltenham
    D= No:7903 - facing Toddington