If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Hunslet589

Hunslet589 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

I doubt that was the coach number. GWR no 5050 was a diag S17 4-wheel second of 1893 - so not likely to be involved here. Dining cars were numbered 9500 and upwards... Could be for fresh water? Many remote structures like signal boxes had no running water and it was delivered daily. Just a guess...

2. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    That's so moth-eaten, for a moment I was wondering if it was 1862! Then I saw the "BR-WR"...

Noel

3. Forestpines

Forestpines Part of the furniture

W5050 wouldn't have been a GWR carriage number. It might have been the number of a BR-built Western Region carriage, but it wouldn't have been a restaurant car. An ex-GWR carriage in Western Region days would have had a number of the format WxxxxW.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Nat Pres stalwart

Indeed, I think whatever it is that "W" prefix suggests it was B(W) rather than GWR.

5. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member

GWR 5050 was a Collett bow ended gangway third, Diagram C54, Lot 1383 of 1927. It would have been renumbered W5050 immediately after nationalisation, becoming W5050W in the early 50s when the Mk1 stock was introduced. It was withdrawn in March 1961. However it is not obvious why such an object would be associated with it. For completeness E5050 was a Mk 1 TSO, which never carried a W prefix.

Forestpines and jnc like this.
  6. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    Speculation time. That bucket looks shaped for carrying rather than pouring. ie it would be a lot easier to carry than a conventional bucket. It might be optimised for carrying comfort rather than load. So speculation - what would a platelayer greasing points or fishplates use to carry grease?

7. Gloucester Boy

Gloucester Boy Member

After a stint at Toddington and Winchcombe, the team are back at Broadway and over the last 2 weeks have managed to erect 11 panels of spear fencing and a gate post at the south end of platform two from the Signalbox towards the barrow crossing. Unfortunately, the new lockdown is going to curtail our activities for a while. The angled spear fencing panels habe been made onsite by Peter K, and he is now going to make some for the slope and Jo R is sourcing some more gate posts from a foundry. We need the gate posts as we are putting a gate in the run of fencing to allow access to the top of the bank for grass cutting etc.

We have also been asked to level up the barrow crossing from the ends of platforms 1 & 2, and also to spear fence the section from the signal box towards the area when the station buildings will be constructed on platform 2, so loads to keep us busy, when the restrictions and weather allow us to work. There should be enough spear fencing panels already built to do this. Then the painters will need to apply a second undercoat and a top coat to the fence.

There are photos on the Broadway Station blog and also Jo's Heritage blogs

8. Ploughman

Ploughman Well-Known Member

Ex a lot of things.
    A filthy bucket with a long handled brush stuck in it.

Dunfanaghy Road likes this.
  9. Gloucester Boy

Gloucester Boy Member

We managed a further three panels of spear fencing South of the signal box and five North of it today and then ran out of postcrete. I took this photo, but as the sun was very low, you can only really see the five panels at the North end. We are no longer allowed to work as volunteers until after 2nd December, so thats it for a while. Broadway spear fencing 4th Nov 2020.JPG

brmp201, ghost, Vulcan Works and 12 others like this.
  10. Vulcan Works

Vulcan Works Member

I like the picture and I started to type that you’ve captured a bitter-sweet moment but in fact that would be the wrong thing to say. The picture is testimony to the efforts and achievements of a lot of people, and it might just help to inspire people elsewhere working away on their own projects, large and small. Hopefully the lockdown is just a temporary interruption to your activities!

Gloucester Boy, marshall5 and jnc like this.