If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Your comment makes no sense in the context of this thread. Did you mean to post here?

Keith

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It took me about five minutes but I realised eventually! I don't think we need to go over it again regardless, it's in the rulebook and will only be there a year anyway.

ghost and Glenmutchkin like this.
  3. Andy Louch

Andy Louch New Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Had an excellent day out at the railway on Saturday. Made 3 trips up to Broadway (including one on the DMU) and was hugely impressed by what has been achieved there. It really is a lovely railway which runs through pleasant countryside, has picturesque stations, excellent well maintained rolling stock and best of all wonderful, friendly and cheery folk running the railway!
    The railway really is an excellent advertisement for the heritage sector.
    Andy

Bluenosejohn, Sheff, jnc and 5 others like this.
  4. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

The Broadway Station blog have provided a link to the very first blog back in 2009 to celebrate its 10th anniversary.

Since discovering this I have been slowly working my way back through the blogs and rediscovering the sense of awe at what the volunteers achieved here. It is a truly amazing journey and I recommend it, even if, like me, you were an early follower..

michaelh, jon5051, desperado and 11 others like this.
  5. jnc

jnc Member

I also went back and re-read the whole saga from the start (I too started reading early - I recall the picture in an early post of a pair of wheelbarrows being used as armchairs); it took several days to do the whole thing! But it did reinforce the impression of what a tremendous accomplishment it was for the BAG volunteers, led by Bill Britton. I too recommend re-reading it.

One question, if anyone remembers the answer: there are many references to bringing concrete blocks down from storage at the north end of the site. There's nothing about where they came from, or how they got there (unlike many other things - red+blue bricks, etc). There's one post which includes an image of the remnants; they're not on pallets, or stacked, so I'm not sure they were bought in, new. Does anyone know? Thanks (I hope!)

Noel

6. Breva

Breva Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    They were dug out from the foot of the cutting sides, where they had been placed for drainage during the blanketing exercise in the late 1950s.
    It was a bit controversial, but we were told the would be replaced, but they never were.
    We had no money in the early days.

7. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Well I'm reading through the Broadway Blog from the beginning and have reached May 2013. In hindsight some things have struck me quite forcefully.

The first is what an unsung hero Bill Britton is. Since 2009 he had updated his blog twice or more a week, ably abbetted by pictures from Jo. He singlehandedly gave the GWSR a social media profile it didn't have before and was getting up to 20,000 hits a month. This interest underpinned the launch of the Bridges and Extension Share issues and helped them succeed. Following his example, and adopting the same template, other Departments now have their own blogs. The result is that the GWSR now has the highest social media presence of any Heritage Railway and the benefit that that brings in volunteer support and passenger numbers.

So well done Bill.

The second is that the rest of the volunteers are all pensioners, as am I, with an average age of 65 and that their total number was about 36 with only around a dozen on site at at any one time. And yet;

They built two 700 yard platforms, with 45,000 bricks apiece.

These 90,000 bricks had to be rescued from demolition sites as far afield as Taunton a four hour round trip away.

Each brick taken down and palleted, transferred to site, cleaned and stacked ready for use. Thats thousands of man hours before one brick is laid.

Each platform has to be infilled by brick rubble and ballast and rolled. Each platform is 5ft high and the void 7ft wide times 700ft long.
    And there are two. Thats 49,000 square feet of infill.

Also the embankments themselves had to be reprofiled and the spoil from digging out the foundations moved, probably another 12.500 square.
    feet.

All this in addition to the actual bricklaying itself with tons of sand and cement mixed.

And I'm only up to 2013.

I don't know about them but I am exhausted !

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Imagine this ensemble running into Broadway:

Kinghambranch and acorb like this.
  9. Andy B

Andy B Member