If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR Railcar no.20 at KESR

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Fireline, Oct 14, 2022.

1. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi Everyone.

The Kent and East Sussex Railway have announced that they have received a grant of £20,000 to assist with the completion of the restoration of GWR Railcar no.20. As a result of this, they have announced a new appeal to raise another £20,000 to finally finish this project, that has now been going for about 30 years!

The information is available at https://kesr.org.uk/donate/gwr-railcar/

I know times are tough, but please help if you can. It would be fantastic to finally get no.20 over the finishing line.

Dead Sheep, Aberdare and Miff like this.
  2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Screenshot_20221014-130057.png

3. Lord Belborough

Lord Belborough New Member

It will be really good to see this railcar restored. I've enjoyed my trips on W22 when it's been in service at Didcot.

4. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I went to the website to try to make a donation - however CAF [who handle the donations] requested my date of birth. I don't know why they need it. It's not required for a gift aid claim. I may be paranoid - but providing this piece of information will enable identity theft. So I am afraid that I will have to make my donation by cheque - remember those! I just wonder how many people will be put off by this from making a donation at all. It's also not very clear who to draw the cheque in favour of.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Romsey and cymroglan like this.
  5. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    By using CAF don't you lose the chance of claiming Gift Aid?

H Cloutt likes this.
  6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Be nice to see it back in action. Did manage a ride in it when it was being used as hauled stock back in the 70s.

7. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

I think they claim it for you but they take a percentage of the donation as a handling fee

8. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

There is a very detailed article in Trackside this month about this railcar. Shame more of them didn't survive.

The Dainton Banker and 30854 like this.
  9. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    ..... along with a Sentinel or two, in my books.

pmh_74 likes this.
  10. RLinkinS

RLinkinS Member

You could start a project to rebuild a Sentinel. I think the Middleton Railway has an original part. You just need to ask @Steve politely.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

11. 30854

Retired
    Being an outright weirdo, the LNER railcars were far too run of the mill for me (even though there were some great names there). I've got a soft spot for the peculiar Jules Vernesque contraption built during Maunsell's reign for the Southern's Devil's Dyke Branch. So far as the UK market goes, it was the last new design produced.

12. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

I have to question why the railcar has been under restoration for 30 years, I knew Andrew, and I at times wondered if he actually wanted to see it finished, the number of times I saw work being redone, because he wanted perfection, when modern substitutes, fitted out of site would have been easier, frustrated me,
    I often thought that progress would only come, once it became a C&W project, and seemed to have been proven right. Had Andrew still been in charge, it would still be stuck under a tarpaulin whist bit's already done, were taken apart, and re done, but hopefully now it can be progressed, Will the already overhauled engines need to be redone, because of the time they have sat unused?

H Cloutt likes this.
  13. 30854

Retired
    Railcar OOS for 30 years doesn't necessarily equate to under restoration ... certainly not active restoration. Ask anyone on the Isle of Man!

I seem to recall originally getting No.20 delivered to the K&ESR was something of an exercise in itself. Not sure the modern big railway could be so accommodating, even if they felt so inclined.

14. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

I visited Tenterden about 15 years ago and saw No 20 'under resoration' on my visit - it looked well along then - there was a donation page and I made a couple of donations. However, the website went very quiet about it a few years back and the donation page disappeared. What concerned me was that it was taking up space in the building it was it. I am glad to see that something is happening at last. I contacted KESR with my queries about donations and received a very quick response - so my cheque is now 'in the post'.

15. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

The article in trackside is very detailed well worth a read. It says when they started on the engines they were in reasonable condition and not seized and praises the fitters in the 1970s for that and they found they could run them on test.

They were then both sent for professional overhaul and ran on test again.

Unfortunately a volunteer then pressure washed inside the exhaust of one of them mid 2010s and it then was left with presumably water inside the cylinders for some years before the damage was discovered.

It has then since had to be rebuilt again with new liners, pistons and bearing shells.

It then says "however. Both engines are now happily reunited with the vehicle and have been tested.

From the article sounds like it has suffered by there previously being nowhere undercover to store or work on it.

16. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Often it was because progress was so slow, and the road it was taking, was needed that it spent time out in the open, under a tarp, Often a small team, worked on it, but at the same time, others were not allowed to help out, even if they had the skills, We at the time, could not afford for it to be sat there, with nothing happening, or very little happening, whilst other coaches and wagons often awaiting repair, or inspection had to wait their turn, the only other road, was the inspection pit road and that was always in use 7 days a week, If a coach wasn't over it, there would be one of the deisels, or the DMU, .

H Cloutt likes this.
  17. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I don’t think their ability to self combust helped with their survival rate.

H Cloutt likes this.
  18. Dead Sheep

Dead Sheep Member

In the early 1990s, the Severn Valley Railway approached Andy to purchase the railcar. The request was not received well and was rebutted, possibly too hastily. In retrospect, had the offer been accepted, W20 would have been returned to service years ago but there is a crux. W20 would not have fitted to the SVR's operational requirements of long trains and high passenger capacity, rendering it an anomaly. Their request was understandable given that W20 was shedded at Worcester Shrub Hill and frequently operated on Bewdley service. However, in the long term, W20 is more suited to the KESR and may even prove to be a roving ambassador for the railway at galas.

19. Penrhynfan

Penrhynfan New Member

Seeing a model of this railcar next to a GWR autocoach made me ponder.
    Were the two ever run coupled together and were the drive systems compatible so one could control the other?

20. Jon Lever

Jon Lever New Member

Bookseller
    Yes and no.

Railcar 18 (and all constructed after it) was built to be capable of hauling a tail load for working the Lambourn branch. That tail load was, on occasion, an autocoach.

The 'drive system' for GWR autocoach working was a mechanical linkage (other systems were used on other railways - the LSWR one was certainly different) which allowed the driver to operate the steam engine's regulator from the cab of the autocoach. It was not compatible with working a diesel-electric driven vehicle.

H Cloutt likes this.