If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR 'Dean Goods' no. 2516 - suggested restoration in Steam Railway issue no. 401

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by PortRoadFan, Jun 11, 2012.

1. PortRoadFan

PortRoadFan New Member

The April 27th - May 24th issue of Steam Railway asked whether the sole surviving GWR 'Dean Goods', no. 2516, could be restored to running order. Similarly, the April 12th - May 9th issue of Heritage Railway mentioned the possibility of using an intact 'Dean Goods' boiler - being offered for sale by a group based on the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway - to build a new member of the class or using that boiler to restore no. 2516.

Since it is an engine which has never run in preservation, how much interest would this generate? Personally, I would like to see it run in the early Edwardian GWR colour scheme (the one with the Indian Red wheels, frames and splashers), with GWR freight and passenger stock, on lines like the Llangollen, SVR, West Somerset, Dean Forest, South Devon, Bodmin & Wenford, poss. the Cambrian at Oswestry, the Gwili, Bluebell (no GWR stock but the 4 Mets would make an interesting pairing)..........

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

A lot of interest - but not just yet...

3. knotty

knotty Member

I think it would be tremendous. There's few Victorian era six-coupled good engines in preservation, and fewer in steam (The two SECR, two L&Y, and one Caley from memory) .

4. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

As I said, interest noted, but don't expect it any time soon. There are many who think the same. Give us time. Lots of it. And some cash would really help too ;-)

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

So not totally off the radar then........any future appeal would get my cash....

6. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    With 4 wheel GWR stock being restored at Didcot and Gwili I can't think of any more appropriate engine to haul them

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  7. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd be happy to put my hand in my pocket toward 2516's overhaul, provided that its condition was such that an overhaul could be conducted that would not compromise the locomotive's condition excessively. I'd be just as happy to see the boiler used on a new build. Or both.

8. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Ooooooooh! With a round-topped firebox and polished dome.... yes please! :dance:

Seriously, it sounds like the spare boiler would be a straight swap which would mean the original could be left untouched. In fact, the best route might be to acquire the spare boiler, survey it, restore it and then call 2516 into the works for a bottom end overhaul and boiler change!

Foxy

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Anything wrong with 2516's current boiler (apart from the Inside firebox being painted a nice shade of magnolia)

10. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Not as far as I know but I understand that the spare has had little or no use and, logically, could be sorted and ready to go before 2516 is dismantled, thus speeding up the whole process. Just a thought....

Foxy

11. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think that a Dean Goods is missing from the magnificent line up of locomotives at Didcot. Once the Saint, County and 47xx are finished, perhaps a swift "running chassis and tender" job with the spare boiler incorporated? As I'm not a member of the GWS its clearly not my remit to even dare to suggest how the society spends its resources but a Dean Goods at Didcot would be nice and educationally (in terms of interpreting the history of the GWR) useful too! Another "just a thought!"

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  12. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I was thinking much the same - the running gear would be 'relatively' simple to reproduce ....

13. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Given a spare boiler it shouldn't be too expensive to build a new set of frames and running gear for a dean goods and give us two examples of the class . 2516 can happily be shown in Swindon whilst the new example (2538 in BR Black ......) flies the flag

14. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    That being said, Beachy head is taking its time, and neither the T1 nor the M&GN boiler's have got projects affilliated to them (to my knowledge).

Then again, there must be a great deal of fittings, drawings and moulds available for GWR parts, which were getting on for well standardised on a late Dean Goods. If anyone is genuinely thinking of founding a newbuild Dean Goods project based on the P&BR boiler, PM me, I'm in.

15. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

One of Harold Gasson's books said Didcot, in BR days, had a stationary boiler from a Dean Goods. Is it still there?

16. K14

K14 Member

It is still here, but it's not off a Dean Goods — IIRC, it came from a Cambrian 0-6-0. Using it for anything is complicated as I understand it's officially listed under 'fixtures & fittings' on the site lease, so until the great day comes & the GWS owns the ground upon which it stands, there may not be a lot we can do with it.

Pete S.,
    C&W Dept.,
    GWS Didcot.

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

That's what damage deposits are for ;-)

18. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Is it a P Class or a Std 9 Pete? It surely wouldn't be an actual Cambrian boiler - aren't they long gone.

19. K14

K14 Member

Sorry, I was with you as far as "Is it a..." & lost you at that point. As far as I'm concerned a boiler is

1. an fundamental part of the tea-making process, or
    2. some bit of witchcraft that the Dirty Engine People need to let them pull coaches & wagons about the place.

... in that order :D

I'll endeavour to post a picture of the thing a bit later.

Pete S.,
    C&W Dept.,
    GWS Didcot

20. baldric

baldric Member

I am not sure exactly what it is from, but just because the engines were scrapped it does not mean the boilers were not kept for uses such as a stationary boiler, why use a standard boiler when that could be used on other engines, use a good condition one there is no other use for.