If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR Clocks

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by kalahari, Sep 25, 2012.

1. kalahari

kalahari New Member

Does anyone know if there is a database showing where GWR Clocks were "allocated"? My drop dial wall clock has a serial number on a little plate made out of ivory or bone, so is likely to have been on some kind of register.

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I wouldn't claim to be an expert by any measure or means.

But by chance, I just happened to buy a copy of "Railway Clocks" by Ian P Lyman, and it contains a very partial listing, mostly from ex-Swindon Works clocks, but also containing some others. So if you give me the number, I can see if it is listed - though that is unlikely, there are probably only a few hundred listed out of many thousand clocks.

As for a full database, it seems that the GW card index that listed every clock was destroyed when the Reading clock works closed down, with just a few cards remaining, so it seems unlikely that it will ever now be possible to unambiguously identify any specific clock except for the rare cases where the record card somehow survived.

Tom