If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR 2818 transferred to STEAM

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Diamond Gaz, Aug 11, 2017.

1. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think it is terrible that they are disposing of all these Engines and some other items of rolling stock like the LMS medical Saloon LYR 247. I worry also that it is the thin end of the wedge and they are testing the public response before disposing of many more further items. What is to say that they won't select more and more stuff for disposal. ?

Particularly terrible is the LSWR T3 as this elegant Victorian Engine has been part of the National collection for more than 50 years being looked after and now they have just given it to the Swanage and it seems sat outside in the rain at Corfe Castle surrounded by weeds, where it has no protection at all. It could easily now end up vandalised or parts stolen and will inevitably be going rusty. The longer it is outside the worse it will get. The picture in the recent steam railway already shows the paint looking shabby.

How could the NRM just do this ? What have they gained ? You only need to see pictures of Barry scrapyard to see what happens to Engines when they are stored long term outside. They should have insisted that if it was disposed of that it went to a railway that had covered space to store and display it. No covered space = No Engine

At least with the GWR 2818 it will still be looked after in a museum environment, but nothing to stop Swindon Council disposing of it themselves at some future point especially as they are cutting back on everything. As time passes people in Swindon are less and less interested in the railway past.

The NRM seems to be on a downward path, with experienced staff retiring and most stuff becoming static. (unless restored by external groups). Indeed according to steam railway magazine one of the reasons given for the T3 disposal was that it had "suffered paint deterioration". Do they not have staff anymore that can repaint something or could they have not contracted this out as they have with other locos ?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And where is the money going to come from, with public spending getting ever tighter?

Johnme101 likes this.
  3. Cartman

Cartman Well-Known Member Account Suspended

Van driver
    To be honest, if the T3 gets restored at Swanage, I would rather it be there than stuffed and mounted in a museum.

4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I'd happily lend a hand for free to repaint it, as a GWSR carriage painter I have half an idea what end to hold a brush by. They could at least have asked and seen if anyone would come forward...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5. toplight

Well check out the recent article in this months steam railway magazine about it. According to them From the NRMs own figures the T3 Engine itself made £239,000 profit recently from being hired to a theatre company and also being sent to Canada. (indeed it is this ending that has probably prompted them to get rid of it). How much would it cost to get a contractor to repaint it (my guess around 3 to 5k ?, who knows perhaps more ) . It is not as if it is some rusty wreck. I am sure they could have just touched up the paintwork to make it presentable for much, much less.

6. The Green Howards

Layabout
    And what about all the other exhibits?

As has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum - there has been endless froth about this one engine, yet a whole museum is closing and it barely warrants four pages on here.

7. Grashopper

Grashopper Member

Assistant FLeet engineer Southern Railway
    (But all GWR engines look the same.....) :p

The Green Howards likes this.
  8. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

No one of the 2-4-0s needs to stay at KSE

9. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Deleted

10. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Yes, its been away from the main collection on hire and no one really noticed and no one objected either...

So why then suddenly complain when the engine is removed and given to another group. Looks to me that most haven't noticed it wasn't there for sometime.

I can understand that some might object to the change of ownership or the thin end of the wedge of thinning the collection, but no one complained about it being moved, sent abroad, pushed around or used in a stage production...

S.A.C. Martin and Johnme101 like this.
  11. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I object to the aim of the Science Museum Group to turn the museums into theme parks for dumbed down entertainment.

12. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    It seems the way it's all going now, even some heritage railways are at it now the men in suits have taken over from those who had the original vision and put the money in

13. The Green Howards

Layabout
    And without making museums accessible, the footfall will rapidly diminish. I don't like it either - I hated the interactive characters acting in period at MOMI when it was on the South Bank back in the 90s, and I really don't like what has been happening at the NMM in Bradford either - but if you make museums all about pure study for crusty and cantankerous old gits they will wither and die very quickly indeed.

Christopher125 and S.A.C. Martin like this.
  14. The Green Howards

Layabout
    And it's probably these 'suits' who are bringing more money in now than the old men who just wanted to play with a 304.8mm : 1' train set.

15. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    No point if you destroy what you are trying to achieve in the process

16. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Maybe 35029 can be de-sectioned. And then de-accessioned.

Personally I would like to section the Bullet Train. :)

17. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I was a wide eyed whipper-snapper in short trousers when I fell in love with the Science and other London museums. They weren't dumbed down then and they were free. Years later when I was a crusty and cantankerous deputy head I got roped in a few times on College trips to the modern Science Museum. I don't believe the students then got a fraction of the benefits I and my friends did in the 1950s. Tempora mutantur!

jnc likes this.
  18. toplight

The NRM for decades set the standards others aspired to. They clearly understood why they existed which was to preserve for future generations a representative selection of locos, coaches and other exhibits showing the history of Britains railways. They also knew (in house) how to repair, maintain and conserve them. For example just ten or more years ago I remember reading (in Steam railway) about a simple BR horsebox they were restoring (this one) http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem?objid=1988-7013

They had a skilled painter/signwriter employee then who had researched all the correct colour schemes and done all the lettering exactly as it was originally. The article explained how they had done this. They used to be able to repair coaches, locos etc. re canvas the roofs etc. This was in my opinion vital as it helped not only conserve the exhibits themselves but help keep alive the skills in how to do so. I am sure there were also volunteers who helped do the work too helping to increase the skills needed.

Recently it seems to be all about "Making money" "these 'suits' who are bringing more money in now than the old men .........."

A Locomotive needs painting, oh just get rid of it. We can put a coffee bar there instead. It will make more money and the tourists will love it.

jnc, Copper-capped and Kinghambranch like this.
  19. The Green Howards

Layabout
    And what happens to the exhibits when the money dries up? There are people who feel that the arts should stand on their own two feet and not use public funds: I'm not one of them I hasten to add, but there are more than a few ideologues out there who think that way.

As I said: there's been more bleating about a T3 and now this GWR engine than there has about a whole museum closing, with potential loss of exhibits to scrap. Or don't electric trains count?

William Fletcher, Matt37401 and 35B like this.
  20. toplight

I am not familiar with the electric train museum and haven't been there so can't really comment. I understand their land is next to an airport and it will be redeveloped.

Electric trains of course do have a case where they should be preserved but enthusiasts (and the public) don't get as excited by them as there is no preserved line where they can be run with electric power. The museum is also more low profile and I expect few enthusiasts have even been. The NRM and national collection is a little different in that it is seen as belonging to and being funded by the tax payer.

They need to look for another site quick as I think they will struggle to find heritage lines willing to accept them.