If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Gwili Motive Power 2011

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Matt78, Mar 29, 2011.

1. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Photographic Printer @ Stourport Photo Centre
    If anybody is at the Gwili on Monday 20th then keep and eye out for something different on the engine :)

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
  3. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Looking good there!

4. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

It was a rather poorly 03 today in the rain. No crew available for Jennifer, but it should work tomorrow, Mon, and I think they said Tues, but I'd ring to check. Doubt I'll have another chance for Jennifer before it returns to Llangollen, unfortunately.

5. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Yes Jennifer should be out tomorrow (Father's Day Diner) and Monday, with SVR Rogers on this forum firing and yours truly in the Guards van on Mon.

6. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Im also firing the Fathers Day Evening Diner tomorrow night aswell :)

7. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Tim, did you travel specifically to see 'Jennifer'? If so, apologies that it wasn't in steam as you'd hoped. Nonetheless, hope you had a good day despite the rain!

A gentle reminder to all - if you're travelling to us to ride behind a specific locomotive (be it steam or diesel), it is always best to ring in advance - 01267 238 213 is the number to call.

A new event for next month - we're holding a Peppa Pig & George event on July 16th & 17th (details now on our website). It should be a great event, with lots to please families with children of all ages - as well as meeting Peppa Pig, look out for the street entertainers, or try your hand at pottery-making! For those interested, the DMU, cl.14 + Jennifer should be out - more to follow, when the Working Timetable is published. Tim, does your daughter like Peppa Pig...?

Also, don't forget that this weekend is the "Gwili Food & Craft Festival" at Llwyfan Cerrig. The British Wood-Carving Association will be in attendance giving demonstrations, alongside food-stalls, exhibitions, novelty clock displays, jewellery-making, wood-carving and more! You can also come and see the latest progress on restoration of the vintage coaches in the shed. Jennifer, 14901 and the DMU will be out - I'll do my best to upload the WTT later today.

Cheers,

Phil.

8. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    A most enjoyable day yesterday, here is some footage via Bob Masterman, SVR Rogers featured on the footplate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isev4ccgyp4

Didn't mention Peppa Pig before as I wasn't sure how interested this forum would be! However operationally there might be a bit of variety as Phil says.

9. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

10. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

It was the only day free for a while, so came anyway (would there have been anyone to answer the phone at 8.45, when I was about to set off?). 03 haulage is not to be sneezed at, but Jennifer would have been preferred, as it's on loan.
    Aware of PP event, but already have railway plans for the Saturday, and other stuff on the Sunday. I hope it is a success for the railway. Recommend the bacon and egg rolls at Llwyfan Cerrig! Startled a Red Kite at close range, there are usually one or two in the air around Bronwydd Arms, which is always nice!

11. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Just a quick reminder that this weekend is the Gwili Railway's Food & Craft Festival...wood-carving demonstrations, food-stalls, exhibitions, novelty clocks, jewellery making, and magicians travelling on the trains!

For those that are interested, this weekend will have a similar timetable to the 'Classic Transport' event earlier this month - ie "Jennifer" top and tailing with 14901 on one set, alternating with the DMU on hourly departures from Bronwydd Arms. The bar-car will be on the loco-hauled set, serving a range of local beers and ales throughout the day.

1030 ex Bronwydd Arms - "Jennifer" top and tail 14901
    1130 ex Bronwydd Arms - DMU
    1230 ex Bronwydd Arms - "Jennifer" top and tail 14901
    1330 ex Bronwydd Arms - DMU
    1430 ex Bronwydd Arms - "Jennifer" top and tail 14901
    1530 ex Bronwydd Arms - DMU
    1630 ex Bronwydd Arms - "Jennifer" top and tail 14901.

If you do make it along, enjoy yourself and don't forget to take your camera!

Cheers,

Phil.

12. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    One thing to add - the two vintage carriages (Taff Vale no.220 and GWR no. 216) will be on display at Llwyfan Cerrig shed - come and see how the restorations are going.

13. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Hi all...

The 'Food & Craft' festival has now been and gone - and was a success for all concerned. Don't forget our next special event on July 16th/17th, when you can meet Peppa Pig & George on the railway, alongside a host of other side attractions for the whole family. Normal fares apply for this event, providing excellent value!

Meanwhile, daily running continues - departures from Bronwydd Arms at 1030, 1150, 1320, 1450 and 1605 each day.

In a new experiment, we will be publishing this month's loco roster online (see below). We hope that this will tempt you to visit, particularly if you are travelling to ride behind a specific locomotive.

As ever, this information is provided in good faith, so please use it as a guide only - the railway cannot be held responsible for any loss caused by change of locomotive, with or without prior notice.

If a particular loco is important to you, we advise that you ring the Booking Office (01267 238 213) on the morning of your visit, to ensure that you won't be disappointed.

Comments on this new venture would be appreciated - does it help you to plan a visit?

June 2011

Mon 27th - 14901 - Timetable A
    Tues 28th - 14901 - Timetable A (with Cream Teas on the train)
    Wed 29th - 14901 - Timetable A
    Thurs 30th - 14901 - Timetable A

July 2011

Fri 1st - 14901 - Timetable A
    Sat 2nd - 14901 - Timetable A
    Sun 3rd - Jennifer - Sunday Diner
    Mon 4th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Tues 5th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Wed 6th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Thurs 7th - D2178 - Timetable A
    Fri 8th - D2178 - Timetable A

Sat 9th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Sat 9th (eve) - Jennifer - Charity Diner Special
    Sun 10th - D2178 - Timetable A
    Mon 11th - Jennifer - Timetable A (Cream Teas on trani)
    Tues 12th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Wed 13th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Thurs 14th - D2178 - Timetable A
    Fri 15th - D2178 - Timetable A

Sat 16th - DMU / D2178 - Special Timetable (Peppa Pig)
    Sun 17th - DMU / D2178 - Special Timetable (Peppa Pig)
    - Jennifer - Sunday Diner (1230 ex BA)
    Mon 18th - Jennifer - Timetable A (Cream Teas on the train)
    Tues 19th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Wed 20th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Thurs 21st - 14901 - Timetable A
    Fri 22nd - 14901 - Timetable A
    Sat 23rd - Jennifer / DMU / 14901 - Special Timetable (Music Festival)
    (eve) - Jennifer / DMU - Special Timetable (Music Festival - Jazz Evening)
    Sun 24th - 14901 - Timetable A

Mon 25th - Jennifer - Timetable A (Cream Teas on board)
    Tues 26th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Wed 27th - Jennifer - Timetable A
    Thurs 28th - 14901 - Timetable A
    Fri 29th - 14901 - Timetable A
    Sat 30th - 14901 - Timetable A
    Sun 31st - Jennifer - Timetable A (Cream Teas on train)

---------------------------------------------

14. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

This is a godo idea Phil! looking forward to my week begining 31st July now!

15. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

16. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Hi all -

Tomorow (2nd July), services will now be worked by the DMU, vice 14901.

All other services (as per the loco roster, posted earlier) remain the same - however if you're travelling to see a specific locomotive, it is always best to ring the Booking Office (01267 238 213) on the day to double-check.

Apologies to anyone who would've been coming specifically for 14901 tomorrow.

Regards,

Phil.

17. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

Jennifer was indeed in action on Wednesday, and a reasonable amount of thrash was had!
    There is a slight flaw in the plan of ringing to check which loco is running. Several attempts were made en route by my co-pilot, but the phone wasn't answered until about 9.30, by which time we were near Carmarthen, and only about 25 mins from the railway. I'm sure that it will work for later trains, but not the 1030, unless you are based very close to the railway.

18. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Im not sure what time the office staff get into the office Tim. Usually in between 9 and 9.30. When i find out what loco's running i'll try and post on here as being on the footplate we usually find out before most. Maybe see you down there when im down in a couple of weeks!

James

19. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

Won't be down again for a while, but have enjoyed what I've done.
    My missus is getting a bit twitchy as I've been to Gwili x2, Pontypool and Blaenavon, East Somerset Gala, Perrygrove Vintage Trains, Evesham Vale Gala, and WSR for Brittania in the last 3 weeks...:rolleyes1:

Think I'm grounded for a while :eek:hwell:

Seriously, though, anyone thinking of popping down, make the effort, Jennifer is a fine beast, and the countryside is superb. Red Kites are almost continually in the air...

20. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Jennifer is certainly a beast!