If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GSMR Equipment

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by jonathonag, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Just a thought I've been having and wondering if anybody can expand on it.
    With the current roll out of GSMR across the Network, and Network Rail covering the cost of equipment and installation for steam currently certified, I'm wondering what exactly are the requirements for each locomotive to apply and receive the equipment from NR for free?

Is it a case that effectively any steam locomotive with a registered TOPS number can apply? ( e.g currently running Black 5 No. 45407 receives the equipment, but so can J36 No. 65243 'Maude' or No. 6229 'Duchess of Hamilton' )
    Or is there a time period of relative present that the engine must fall in to? ( e.g 2005 onwards, again No. 45407 can receive but also B1 No. 61264 ).

Just not see the actual requirements discussed before and thought it may be interesting to know of more.

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would imagine that it will be dealt with on a case by case basis, as there must be many grey areas.