If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Central Railway Goods Galore Gala 6-7 May 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Regan, Mar 27, 2017.

1. 84H

84H New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello all

A few more pictures from Sunday.

Thanks

Stan IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2110.JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2077.JPG IMG_2072.JPG

JS Rail Videos likes this.
  2. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    My offerings from the weeekend. A fantastic event, a great addition with the non-stop express. Would love to see this added to the Steam Galas, that along with the TPO demonstrations would be quite something! An enjoyable day riding on the Saturday, and most trains seemed to be very well patronised.

Hope you enjoy!

Mick45305 likes this.
  3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Three from the gloom that was Saturday and one in a patch of sunlight before heading for home on Sunday morning!

IMG_0794.jpg IMG_0802.jpg IMG_0876.jpg IMG_0884.jpg

David likes trains and Spamcan81 like this.
  4. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    It has taken me longer than I would have liked to produce a gallery of images from the Saturday of the Goods Galore gala, but these can now be seen on my Zenfolio website at: - http://mickrogers.zenfolio.com/p50831947

EOS 5D Mark III_170506_1095.jpg

All in all, it was another enjoyable day of photography at the GCR, despite the weather conditions being the worst of the weekend! As always, my thanks go out to all who had a hand in running the event.

Cheers,

5. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hope this is an event that makes it into the calendar every year. It looks and sounds really impressive. Shame I was busy, or would have made it down.

6. jafcreasey

jafcreasey New Member

Enjoyed a dry and occasionally bright Sunday at the Goods Galore; another great event with things constantly happening (certainly helped to keep the girlfriends interest anyway).

The ‘Pines Express’ was a highlight, as was the double-headed mixed freight with 80136 and 78018.

Shame to read in the RailMail a “few more attendees would have been welcome” though appreciate this’ll always be the case – certainly seemed quiet on trains but stations appeared busy.

Working on an online album/blog but a handful of photos can be found on my Instagram.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    The Goods Galore is a great idea, but maybe the timing of this might need to be adjusted. Putting it in spring around the bank holiday weekends might cause trouble, as I personally had to watch the bank balance as theres two bank holidays this month - and as much as I'd like to have been there the trek from County Durham would soon rack up costs.

Half the problem will be that you need to watch the freight trains go past, which is why stations will have been busy. Theres no reason why the ideas in this gala couldn't be incorporated or replace one or more of the seasonal galas that's on. If there is so be a specific event, such as this then it should start to be at the same time of year. The Swithland Gala, and the one last year about a local shed I think were at different times. This gala is more akin to that kind of operation as its trying to recreate a line where goods pass passenger often.

Personally, I think its great. It might just need more planning and advance notice, including some PR releases and putting into a slot so that it gains traction each year and people know that event will be on.

Graft on likes this.
  8. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I wasn't there (not that that will have made any difference to tha takings as I'm a volunteer) but from the photos and videos I've seen online it looked like a great event. But I do wonder whether it actually needed a visiting loco. That will have added a fair bit to the cost, and there were enough home fleet locos on site that it was not needed operationally. If the same event had featured say 777 instead of 80136, would people who came have stayed away? The locos after all were not the main focus of this event. Thoughts?

9. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    I'm probably the last person you need to ask that to! 80135 would have been a nice bit of kit and seems to have gone down well. You might not have needed a visitor for the event, given the goods on display, but the GC will soon get into trouble if every gala doesn't get a visitor in. So its a case of being selective over which events you do and which ones you run the home fleet on an intensive service. A visitor at this one might be a better idea if it works passenger turns so that people aim to ride behind it as its there, thus increasing ticket sales, and draw people onto the trains, rather than stand and watch goods trains pass all afternoon.

oddsocks likes this.
  10. jafcreasey

jafcreasey New Member

Spot-on, of course.
    It's difficult to know; a lack of visiting engine wouldn't have deterred me as the event is quite unique. That being said, the 4MT is a personal favourite with limited opportunities to see one in-front of goods locally (West Sussex) so guess it depends if others share that view if they're coming from further afield.