If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Central Railway General Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Reading General, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Good news from the GCR website as we slowly return to a welcome sense of normal:-

"Passenger trains have now returned to the GCR, running every Saturday and Sunday, and on selected weekdays.

All four stations are due to reopen from Saturday 26th June 2021, with tickets available on the day from Booking Offices.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the railway as we progressively return to normal operation, as the national situation improves."

2. Flying Phil

The view South of the A6 bridge at Loughborough is changing daily as the suburbs extend further....
    DSC00707.JPG

jnc likes this.
  3. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sure all those kids who grow up there will love trains...

Hando and The Dainton Banker like this.
  4. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

It might be a good idea to get the GCR corridor designated as a linear conservation area. That doesn't necessarily prevent development, but does bestow a statutory obligation on the planning authority to make sure any new development preserves or enhances the conservation area's character and appearance. It'd basically mean further housing estates had to be designed in sympathy with the railway's 1950s aesthetic, where there's an interface. The whole of the Settle-Carlisle is a linear conservation area so it can be done!

5. Will RL

Will RL Member

Have a seen that window hanging is no longer allowed at the GCR?

6. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

Appears to be stated as Item No 26 in their "Conditions of Carriage" but that is the only place I have seen it mentioned, and that I had to look for. Don't know whether that is new or has been there for years - most probably the latter. Not as if it's a prominent "Thou shalt not Bellow/Flail/Winowhang" anywhere on the website!
    Nobody seemed to be bothered about it when I was there a month ago.....

7. Flying Phil

There is an update on the Boscastle website.....

"Shed Tours

Shed tours are starting again!

'Boscastle' volunteers will, once more, be conducting tours of the locomotive shed at the GCR one weekend a month. Tours will take place at regular intervals throughout the day from 10:30am to 3:30pm.

The tour gives you a chance to see restoration, overhaul and repair work in progress and hear about the place of 'Boscastle' in the story of the Great Central Railway. There is no charge for tours, but a donation on the day towards the overhaul of 'Boscastle' would be appreciated.

Dates confirmed so far are:-

July 24th & 25th

August 7th & 8th

September 4th & 5th"

8. Flying Phil

I have been looking to see if there is an updated total for the "Gap" fund but I suspect they are waiting to announce it at the AGM on July 17th - there should be other interesting news as well, I'm sure. It is a "restricted to 30" public meeting and I did apply - successfully! for a place.

9. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

Restricted to 30? Meh! I'm 45...

CH 19 likes this.
  10. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Hi flying Phil I just visited the G.C.R. yesterday and wondered why there is a speed restriction of 5 mph maybe 10 going over Swithland viaducts Brazil island and north of the viaduct going under the triple arch blue brick bridge 347 toward kinchley lane curves the speed restriction ends and dosent start picking speed up above 5 mph after swithland sidings going south where the speed restriction ends. Is the viaduct or embankment a bit unsteady (subsidence) or is the slow speed just for railway tourists visiting the G.C.R. to admire the view across swithland viaduct across the reservoir Phil?
    Davo 56F

11. Flying Phil

Hi Davo
    I'm afraid I do not know why there is a speed restriction. I do recall that a fairly extensive re-pointing etc was required on part of the Swithland viaduct about 5 years ago, so it may be some more work is needed elsewhere on the viaduct?

12. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

ORR is getting tougher on it. East Lancs caught grief recently with windowhangers at the diesel weekend.

13. Flying Phil

At the GCR AGM today it was announced that there were problems with bridge 348, which is to the North of Swithland reservoir. It is similar to the replaced bridge 341 and so will also, more than likely need to be replaced quickly as they have another testing contract which requires speed on that section.

jnc likes this.
  14. Flying Phil

The museum project is still making progress behind the scenes as the City council have been doing various ground surveys. Obviously C-19 has slowed it down but it, and the double tracking, L North to Rothley are very much live projects according to information given at the GCR AGM today. This AGM can be viewed on You Tube via a link on the GCR website.

15. Johann Marsbar

The sound on that AGM recording is fairly dire and it was difficult to hear what was being said at times, even with the volume turned right up on the YT page and also the computer as well!
    Several odd gaps where you lose completely what is being said too.

16. Flying Phil

I made some notes during the meeting Johann, so if you have any specific questions I will try to answer......or PM if better?

jnc likes this.
  17. Johann Marsbar

Thanks - I think I managed to catch all the relevant parts, even if it meant sitting with my ear to the computer at times, and there will no doubt be reports on the main items (shed/bridge replacements/assisting EMRT) in the next Main Line which should be out in about 6 weeks time. If they are going to have to replace that bridge at Swithland fairly sharpish to retain the 75 mph certification for testing contracts, no doubt that will be featured in the weekly e-newsletter as well.

18. Flying Phil

Re the bridge replacement;-
    They did say that there had been a bill for £49K to have an independant structures assessment for the whole line. There was to be a similar assessment done for the GCR(N) section I believe.....so there should be no further unexpected bad news.
    The Shed project now has an architect appointed and there will be consultations before September. There was the hope of buying/renting part of the adjacent coachworks site but, after much discussion, no decision was likely to be made in the near future...so that is out.
    It looks as though the likely alternative will be to have the shed moved a bit to the East boundary and then two tracks North with a roadway on the west side.

Financially, although the railway has obviously lost approx 70% of its operating income due to covid closures, it had reduced its operating costs, applied for and was granted significant grants and was given lots of donation support (£1.7M) and furlough income totalled (£600,000) so it had been able to continue to deliver on various projects (Canal Bridge finish, bridge 341 replacement, Ellis cafe patio, fencing, 3 carriage overhauls plus 2 refurbishments etc) so it was a very positive meeting and all concerned - management, directors, staff and volunteers deserve...and were given, huge thanks.

19. Vulcan Works

Vulcan Works Member

I’m not intentionally flag waving for the management team but as an outsider it is remarkable just how much progress and investment there is on the railway despite everything the Covid Industry throws at it. The major bridge works are a challenge but the GCR seems better at planning, organising and resourcing them compared to the struggles of some other railways. Like most people I have limited time and money but I’m more likely to donate to a group that has a decent plan and a sense of direction compared to one that doesn’t…Every little helps!

20. Flying Phil

A great day out today at the "Railway at Work Gala". I was part of the BBAG (Belgrave and Birstall Action group)/MLPG/MLST party on the veranda carriage. It was busy, but not crowded and there were quite a few people in period costume.
    DSC00879.JPG