If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Central Railway Autumn Gala 3-6 October 2019

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Regan, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    IMO variety is the spice of life in the heritage railway world and long may we continue to enjoy the products of a wide range of CMEs.

Johnme101 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  2. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    John Petley said "...I was delighted when the Spa Valley Railway procured the use of the L&Y 0-6-0 52322 last year and made sure I had a ride behind this fine engine during its stay down south. Furthermore, if any heritage line near my home was to bring down one of the NELPG's locos as a guest engine for a gala, I would write a a big note in my diary to make sure I didn't miss such an event."

I agree: anyone know the current operational committments of the L&Y 0-6-0? I too would like to see this and NELPGs at a gala. It was great to have the Q6 at the SVR last year and I had hoped to see one of these at a gala this Autumn.

3. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    In that case I will plant my banner firmly in the knowledge that I am an ally of Swindon.

926 doesn't impress me as to me it always seems to be running out of power near Goathland, nor does it grip very well and spins its wheels often. For me the main areas are the low tender, the half cut cab and front end looking dated - the S15s saving point is the bogie tender and that's about it. Its not as cleanly built as something Swindon or Darlington would have made, and the cab in particular would leave crews exposed. Maunsell I don't rate, nor with many of the others you have mentioned. Hence liking things such as a GWR Castle, Pannier, Hall, or later Staniers works that transformed the Midland region.

I look for great engineering and acknowledge it when I see it, but love the debate that things like this bring up and also enjoy seeing the passion others have for things like also love and hold dear (especially if its different to my own view). Sadly, I'm never going to see these has having been in full squadron service, save finding a Blue Telephone box I can borrow. Preservation is lucky to have so many working examples of engines for us to enjoy, but what irks me is that often conversation, media coverage, gala themes and recognition overlooks the north east, as well as some other areas. There's articles on expresses, idyllic branch lines or mountainous routes of the south, west, midlands and Scotland but the north proper almost doesn't exist. Especially ones that people coalesce around and repeat ad infinitum.

Maybe I shouldn't be so serious - it could be a failing that I'm steadfast in making sure people understand that achievements up north easily mirror, or often exceed, those that are often talked about down south and as commonplace, for fear they are overlooked. I do honestly love seeing the pride and enthusiasm that people have for their beloved subjects and choice of engine, route, engineer, stock, livery, etc. even if a sarcastic or contentious post has lit the blue touch paper (again probably..). So while I might not be at the Great Central gala, this time round (as this has become a favourite of mine) I will certainly have a friendly and welcoming ethos given the variety at the NYMR soon - even if I just watch the S15 and Repton go past...

4. Regan

Regan New Member

5. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Is there a timetable still available nearer the date the of steam gala like before on the G.C.R. website for the 3-6 otober, or has it to be booked online to get a copy of the working timetable?

6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Passenger services (and TPO) normally online usually, but you need a WTT for all the freights. Usually free with a gala ticket or about £3

7. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

This is now little over a week away but no timetable info seems available. It would be nice to plan things before I join the ticket queue for my full WTT on arrival at Loughborough with the event in full swing (and my etickets already inn my pocket...).
    Anyone know anything, or would last year's WTT, which I still have, be an approximate guide?

8. Spamcan81

Training moles
    That shows how little you know of locomotive design and engineering.

A1X, Johnme101 and Chris86 like this.
  9. waterbucket

waterbucket New Member

Morning all, firstly apologies for the lack of timetable info so far. I appreciate the frustration but hopefully it won't be too much longer.

From what I understand the timetable will be pretty similar to last year so first passenger trains at 1000 Thurs and Fri and 0900 Sat and Sun. Saturday evening sees a welcome return of the twilight trains with the last passenger service at 1815 from Loughborough.

Hope this helps slightly and with a bit of luck it won't be too long before timetables appear on the website!

lil Bear likes this.
  10. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Thanks Waterbucket, that's helpful and encouraging. Twilight trains sound interesting too.

11. LNERandBR

LNERandBR New Member

Any idea which loco's will be out Thursday?

Unfortunately I'm already committed for the rest of the gala weekend but luckily managed to book the Thursday off work. I'm hoping both the visitors will be running, especially the T9.

12. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden Member

Normally it would be both the T9 and Repton as two of the three locos to run followed by one loco of the homefleet.

LNERandBR likes this.
  13. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

3ABescot likes this.
  14. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Maybe I do, but you don't like my opinion. Maybe I don't know as much as you, but I can still have an opinion based on what I do know.

Personally speaking, I think I know enough - but just don't rate them. Something shared by many others at the NYMR event this weekend. However, variety is interesting and many others will be happy to see the Southern pair at work at the GC.

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    So just who are these "many" who don't rate Maunsell locos? The NYMR seem to rate them as why would they have overhauled both 825 and 926 if they were as bad as you suggest?
    You are indeed entitled to your opinion but I'd argue that your opinion is based on limited knowledge of these locos in preservation and not personal experience of their day to day workings in steam days.

16. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Well I for one will be at the GCR to see 926 for the first time as at least Leicester is further south than Levisham.

Oakfield53 likes this.
  17. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

I didn't intend to Like this but to suggest that this argument has gone on too long.

18. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

While my visit will be the first time since 1992 that I've seen Repton on the GCR - and that was also for an event centred on 4-4-0s!

19. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Both the visitors at work today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a very shiny Pitchford Hall at Loughborough.
    [​IMG]

48305, 46521 and 78018 are facing north, all other locos facing south.

20. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Thanks for the pix and the info. Looking forward to my weekend there.