If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Grantham Canal - bits of rusty metal and other interesting stuff.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by baldbof, Oct 5, 2015.

1. baldbof

baldbof Active Member

Retired, ex-RAF
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Our zeal was severely tested yesterday in the thick, claggy, sucking mud that has appeared after the weather guessers didn't quite get the weekend forecast right. "Fine and sunny after a light shower" was their forecast guess for Sunday. Wrong!!

After this there are Locks 12 and 13 in the same flight although they appear to be in better condition than this one and the early surveys suggested a lot of the work would be cleaning out the mortar and repointing rather than the demolition and re-building the walls. That said, a fair amount of work will be required e.g. there are weirs at both locks, they require new gates, a new by-wash will have to be built and access is very limited. When work eventually starts on Lock 13, the current worksite at Lock 14 will act as our base, again due to access issues - the adjacent lock-keepers cottage is a listed structure. Our new worksite is considerably larger than Lock 15's which was quite compact by comparison. New access tracks have had to be constructed, and a new by-wash (thanks to WRG) has had to be put in pipes to circumvent the site; there is no convenient ditch as there was at L15. Oh!.. and there's a rather large , and no so friendly bull in the same field as our worksite so a stock-proof fence has had to be erected; let's hope the fence does the job. He's a big lad with attitude!!!

We hope to have the demolition phase completed "soonish" but we have to retain as much of the original as possible in order to respect the heritage aspect as HLF are providing a considerable amount of funding for the project.

@35B, you should be able to see more activity at this site from the old railway track as the lock is closer to the trackbed. Downside, it's further from the Dirty Duck!!

242A1 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  3. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Thanks for the link, it's difficult to follow the branch lines from google earth, especially the tramway, another question @baldbof, are the developers of cotgrave colliery contributing anything financially/complimentary to the canal? Other than ugly cookie cutter 'luxury' homes with no gardens, 6 foot high fences surrounding whatever green there is to keep the light out and encourage alienation among neighbors, plastic windows, bradstone, hard standing instead of front gardens with space for 60 gazillion audis and mercs to suit the 'modern' lifestyle and choke up the surrounding country lanes. can you tell I don't like modern housing ;)

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  4. baldbof

baldbof Active Member

Retired, ex-RAF
    To be honest, I'm not sure. However, I believe there was some recent controversy about a housing development in that area which threatened to encroach on the canal and its towpath until some objections to the planning application were accepted by the planning authority. I believe that the Canal & River Trust were the prime movers of the objections (it's their canal). Word was that the developer's case wasn't helped by the fact that they had jumped the gun and had already started to strip out hedges and do other clearance before their application was submitted.

5. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Sounds about right, typical tactics that they know will go unpunished, this is your canal, on the immediate left of the development:
    IMG_0200.JPG

6. baldbof

baldbof Active Member

Retired, ex-RAF
  7. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Cor that west bridgford is a stinker of a development, very ugly on a very convoluted site, anyway the cotgrave development is a monster, hundreds of shoebox homes, the developers will be making a killing, wouldn't be too unkind for them to throw a few sheckels your way, pay for some dredging, upgrade the towpath at the very least etc. The real question is, where has all that lovely Section 106 money gone? A canal trust right next door seems a clear choice to me under the s106 guidelines, that is, if they've coughed up the money at all, of course sometimes they don't.

8. baldbof

baldbof Active Member

Retired, ex-RAF
    We don't see the S106 money. If it goes anywhere, it will be to C&RT who own the canal. From previous AGMs, I'm led to believe that S106 money from other developments has been set aside to assist with re-directing the canal into the Trent via an alternative route as the original is now impassable - the A52 flat bridge at West Bridgford and the built up area at Lady Bay have blocked the original line of the canal.

9. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Not too sure how s106 agreements fully work but I believed it wasn't just a financial bribe, the money has to be spent in the local area to mitigate the impact of a harsh development, it can't just go into the great big council treasure chest in the sky, I was wondering about lady bay, it's not clear from google maps and there's no photos, is there a tunnel under the A6011 Radcliffe road or is it severed? Odd that lock 1 was restored many moons ago, though I suppose that area could be used for berthing of boats traversing the trent, or spruced up for wildlife, last time I was walking along the trent there it wasn't looking too good, right next to some environment agency offices ironically.

10. baldbof

baldbof Active Member

Retired, ex-RAF
    I believe it is severed, hence the need to identify a new route. Apparently Lock 1 is a bit of a mess now having been used as a dumping ground for the uncaring's rubbish. It is ironic that the Environment Agency's headquarters is just across the road. The residents of Lady Bay have formed a group and, along with some of our society rangers and other volunteers, do regular clean ups of the stretch that runs adjacent to Radcliffe Road - and a good job they are doing; they've transformed it.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  11. baldbof

baldbof Active Member

Retired, ex-RAF
    Another day and another attempt to load photos. Hooray!! Successful.

The collapsed wall has been removed from the lock chamber, the weir has gone (courtesy of the WRG) and although there is still a lot of silt shifting and demolition of dodgy walls to be done, we are making progress towards the point where we can start rebuilding.

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

12. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

That's a big job (seems bigger than the last one?) - good luck with it!

Keith

13. GWR4707

GWR4707 Resident of Nat Pres

s.106 goes to the Council, its been tightened up recently but years back I worked at an LPA that found £1m+ in a suspense account that had come from various S.106 contributions over many years and not been spent, they didn't even know which schemes it had come from.

14. baldbof

baldbof Active Member

Retired, ex-RAF
    I stand corrected. Thank you.

It's starting to look that way. The more we get into the structure, more necessary remedial work appears. That said, we are up with the programme even though all the phases of the "plan" were moved a couple of months to the left. This year, we are praying for a mild winter.

nine elms fan and ghost like this.
  15. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Well-Known Member

Retired
    I think everybody is!