If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Good News from the Bluebell

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gavin, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    There is also welded rail on the KESR Northiam to Bodiam section I think.

Regards,

Dan

2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are numerous welded joints on the NYMR with the latest being installed on Bridge 30.
    It should be remembered that no more than 120ft should be welded up without a joint, unless being installed as CWR with Adjustment switches installed and set correctly according to temperature.
    I believe 2 Preserved lines in the country have CWR currently.
    Gloucester and Worcester on the approach to Racecourse station installed as a noise reduction measure.
    Weardale inherited from BR days in various locations.
    Unless anyone knows of any more?

3. John2

John2 Member

700 yards of CWR installed on the Severn Valley Railway in March 2009 at Kidderminster.

4. Sinclair

Sinclair New Member

The plan is (or at least was!) that Typhoon and the RHDR train carriages will run down the Ardingly branch spur from Horsted Keynes in the four foot!

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Could anybody confirm how close 'Baxter' is to steaming? The next two weekends are the railway's 'Family Fun Weekends' and the loco is scheduled to appear.

Incidently, my experience of going to the railway on one of these weekends is that they are good for the railway enthusiast too! The railway runs an intensive service with most of the small locos in steam. Well worth a visit.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/loco_roster.html

Regards

6. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

About 16-20 track panels on the GCR Down Main between the Down Auto-Distant and Down Home at Quorn are installed as CWR with breathers to provide a sound test facility.

7. Sinclair

Sinclair New Member

Hi Orion!

Sadly Baxter will not be ready for this coming weekend, the first one of the Family Fun Days. 178 will take the place of shunting Baxter's trucks at Horsted Keynes (with me keeping those naughty trucks under control on the Saturday!).

If Baxter is then ready for the second weekend then 178 will double head with 592. Check back here or on our Facebook for updates.

There'll also be some extension train and Bluebell 50 Gala news in the next few days too!

8. Sinclair

Sinclair New Member

The RHDR train set will now be in the 'Down Yard' at Horsted Keynes. This is the one where the carriage shed is.

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

She was in the works on Sunday looking, at a glance, pretty well complete except for the cab roof. There was a task list of 20 or 30 tasks to do; I didn't look in detail (I was working elsewhere and just passing...) but probably fair to say mostly of a "fettling" or "finishing" sort of nature. (For example, one that stuck in my mind - "fit builders' plates" - neither the highest nor lowest priority task listed, if that gives a clue). Even so, that many tasks takes time, even of each is relatively minor, so I suspect what the loco roster says, and Sinclair's later post, is probably a fair estimate.

Tom

10. Sinclair

Sinclair New Member

Thanks for the detail there Tom.

What I posted early came from tonight's commercial meeting, so is rather fresh from Director level!

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Any good news re 'Baxter'? The engine was going to appear last weekend and is still advertised on the website.

Regards

12. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

13. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent news, now how many spoil trains will that pay for?

14. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Re: Bluebell's Operation Undercover moves forward

Digging out this old thread, can I ask someone in the know what protection there is on the industrial estate side of the new shed and museum to prevent articulated lorries working down what now looks a fairly tight access to the industrial premises coming into contact with the side wall of new building?
    On the station side of the new building there are quite substantial concrete retaining walls, but apparently not on the other side. I have had a good look at the recent images on the Bluebell website.

Thanks.