If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Glyn Valley decision due

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by garth manor, Feb 6, 2012.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

In some ways starting a new project is the easy thing to do. Pioneers striding to the distant horizon etc. etc. Keeping an existing project going involves relaying track that has been relayed at least once already; rebuilding equipment previously rebuilt and ensuring that potential customers don't forget you are still there!
    Altogether a more grown up situation.

As far as the GVT is concerned I wonder if anyone is able to comment as to how much involvement there has been with the rail regulatory bodies. A roadside steam tramway in the 21st. century? Modern road traffic conditions have caught up with Castle Caereinion crossing on the W&LLR and this is an established organisation operating under existing statutory statutory powers.

2. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

Being one of the 'carriage oilers' the problem is that it is an evening job required on a weekly basis. Some great people do travel from far afield to help out, but its really a job that needs a backbone of local volunteers that can give up a regular evening. Goings on in Chirk are not likely to have much effect on that.

My wife was a great enthusiast for the Talyllyn, but on our last visit before she became ill (about 4 years ago) she was disappointed - she felt somehwere the character had been lost. That was just her personal opinion.

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    100% correct - after the exciting pioneering stuff is done, the chances of everyone turning their hands to mundane everyday stuff are small.
    I believe that there are no plans to rebuild the roadside sections as such just yet?

4. Peter Howarth

Peter Howarth New Member

It isn’t easy, it is extremely difficult. I have great respect for those special individuals that posses the determination and dedication to set up a new project and see it through often against all odds. It takes great courage to start out and often be ridiculed up until the point where planning consent is achieved and then criticised further and accused of somehow stealing valuable volunteers form other groups, it’s a ridiculous accusation.

I think it is also ridiculous to suggest that the individuals behind these new projects are simply looking for somewhere to play trains and that a siding on an existing railway would somehow serve the same purpose. It will take passion for these new projects to succeed, passion for the actual railways, the history and social fabric that goes with them.

The Talyllyn ‘not in my back yard’ posters are in my opinion, plagued with tunnel vision. The TR is a wonderful product and it does what it says on the box but perhaps it needs some repackaging and branding to cater for an ever changing customer base.

5. Martin Perry

To be fair Paul Hitch did say "in some ways" which I took to mean that it was easier to attract volunteers to a new project than it was to getting them to keep volunteering afterwards when the excitement of putting it all back in place has gone.

6. Talyllyn07

Talyllyn07 Member

Incorrect I ment have some siding space to build a shed and run operations on the existing line therefore the group has no need to build their own railway and therefore they can get to the Playing trains a bit earlier.

and any volunteer on any preserved line who doesn't consider it playing trains is perhaps taking it all a bit to seriously..

Cheers

7. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer

8. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

The problem is that a number of folks suffer from 'empty trackbed syndrome'. They will not be happy until every one is filled with yet more 'preserved' railways.

9. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Are you actually interested in railways? Just asking.

10. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Indeed I am. In fact I have 'borrowed' Lyd for a few days at the end of this year. Your own railway has a term 'sustainable railway' and this is the issue that I address. I have grave doubts that some railways are already sustainable and yet another will do no favours. FR/RhE may have had a lot of bums on seats but elsewhere this is just not the case. Railways do not survive on enthusiasts but on the general public. They do not generally go on more than one railway per visit. They actually have budgets and other interests in life!

I have no interest in yet more lines in North and Mid Wales though. That is correct.

There are also steam railways all over the UK. Why bother to drive to Wales?

11. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    They do not generally go on more than one railway per visit.

Do you have evidence of this claim or is it just your personal opinion?

12. Martin Perry

I would suggest that it was a reasonable assumption - most families looking for a day out will only have one train ride as part of it. Any more than that and they become 'enthusiasts' ! :)

13. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    At five and a half hours, a full return trip on the WHR is a day out in itself. This is why I usually recommend people with young kids do half of it and come back another day to do the other bit. And then a third day to sample the FR.

It's not a problem if these days are spread over a week, a year, or three years, after which it's probably time for them to start at the beginning again...

14. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"Do you have evidence of this claim or is it just your personal opinion?"

The result of a survey conducted in 1986. I doubt it has changed.

"This is why I usually recommend people with young kids do half of it and come back another day to do the other bit. And then a third day to sample the FR."

Wishful thinking there unless Dad is already an enthusiast!

15. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    I wouldn't build a business plan on a 25 year-old survey.

16. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"I wouldn't build a business plan on a 25 year-old survey."

True but it is still indicative. Common sense would also IMO back my statement.

There are other things people go to in Wales other than little trains.

17. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

The trains do pretty well, though. Perhaps part of the problem the more southerly lines experience is down to changes in accessibility - the North West has the A55 which has made access to Caernarfon easier than 25 years ago - whereas Towyn is still out on a limb for cars, and now has a pretty sparse train service if you are coming for a day out from say Birmingham.

18. Talyllyn07

Talyllyn07 Member

Sorry? Peak service offers 7 trains a day... starting at 10.30 and the last Wharf departure is 16.10
    The green (peak weekends and the week before peak starts) 5 trains a day
    The rest of the year we mostly offer 4 trains a day 10.30 11.40 13.50 and 15.00

I would say that's perfect opportunity...

What would be your idea of a busy timetable?

Cheers

19. talyllyn1

talyllyn1 Member

I think pet2hogs might have been referring to the mainline timetable, rather than the TR - although Towyn has been Tywyn for decades now!

20. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest