If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR Winter Gala 31 Jan '09

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 6136, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm sure, as always, this will be an excellent gala and, although I'm a bit disappointed that the Q6 is only working one round trip on the Sunday there is plenty to enjoy. As you say the Q6 will be visiting for three months, however, for all of us who have to travel 100 miles or more to reach the GCR perhaps you would like to tell us when these chances will be happening. It is a long way to come just to find it on shed and not in steam as has happened in the past with other visiting locomotives.[/quote:gv69jkwm]

You could always phone and ask what's running. Mind you I did that some years ago and was told the loco of the day was 35005. On arrival I found Can Pac cold in the shed and an 0-6-0PT running
    the service. :-k

2. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother phoning them. Whoever answers invariably doesn't know what is going on. I was assured on two occasions that 70048 was running so travelled up to see it only to find it partially dismantled in the shed.

Also why run the 8f as 48773 when it is already a preserved loco? If they want to change the identity why not change it to one of the other Rose Grove 8fs. If the ELR could do it why not the GCR?

3. Raimondo

Raimondo New Member

I can't believe how much moaning and whinging is going on. Just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time.

Sometimes you just can't please certain people at all.

I do hope that there is someone, somewhere out there who is mildly positive about the GCR's efforts to put on a Gala with an impressive display of locos and movements.

By the way, it costs over £20 to watch a Championship or lower league football match these days, so £20 for a day rover at the GCR isn't such bad value as it lasts longer than 90 minutes, and there's a fair chance the entertainment is going to be much better!

4. C WALL

C WALL New Member

Civil servant
    I think there have been some positive comments about the gala and nobody is doubting that the GC will put on a good show. The only negative comments are about lack of passenger turns for the Q6 on each day. People travel a fair distance to ride behind visiting locos at galas because they tend to be garaunteed a ride behind that particular loco.
    In this instance the GC just seem to be favoring the linesiders rather than the fare paying passengers who in the long run keep the railway going.

5. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

The trains are visible to people without cameras as well. Also, a great number of people who do go lineside contribute to the GCR via the lineside pass scheme.

6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    And by other means too.
    The point the moaners seem to be missing is that if the GCR didn't run freights at a Gala when would they? Not a lot of point in running them on a normal service day. Galas are designed to appeal to a wide range of enthusiasts by running a wide range of trains both passenger and freight. The way I see it is that on Saturday and Sunday it will be possible to see the Q6 on freights as well as ride behind it, the best of both worlds in my book.

7. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Lineside pass = £25 for 12 months
    Gala day rover = £20 for 1 day

8. C WALL

C WALL New Member

Civil servant
    Who said that they shouldn't run freights and not use the Q6 on them?

9. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

First time buyers have to pay £50 plus a GCR hi viz. Renewal is only £45 but still a great deal of money if you only visit the line once or twice a year.

GWSR issue daily passes at £10 a time. I would rather pay this each visit than subscribe to the GCR system.

10. Cunni

Cunni New Member

Civil Engineering Technician / AutoCAD Draughtsman
    Just to fill you all in; it is very doubtful the Fairburn Tank will be running in the gala. I nearly said 'definatly won't be running', but the chaps in the shed could supprise us all! To be honest, even though both water tanks are now mostly fitted (reverser gear in/around one water tank causing some issues) and the cab roof is loosely fitted, it still requires alot of fitting work, alot of painting and also all the usual tests before it can be put into service. That's alot to ask for in one week!

The 8F is definatly facing North and will hopefully have finished testing ready for the gala. I don't see any reason why not. (Famous last words) Lamiel is back on GCR metals. Cromwell is prep'd and ready. Most other engines are regular runners anyway, therefore ready. The Q6 has been put back together, (connecting rods attached, etc) has been tested and has also run on a photo charter event this week.

As for the Q6 running on freight most of the weekend, I can see why people are a bit miffed and yes it's nice to ride behind every loco, but I feel there might be an issue with having to extend the timetable to accomodate enough loco movements and shunting operations to get the Q6 swapped off the freight onto passengers in exchange for 'say' Olly Crommers. Just a thought, I haven't actually seen the timetable yet, but I'm sure someone can comment on this.

11. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    The point that "the moaners" are making is that it would, in our opinion, have been better if the GUEST ENGINE, the Q6, had been rostered for more than just one passenger turn per day. At no time has anyone complained about the railway running freights, or indeed about the Q6 having freight turns.

The Q6 has been out of use for a number of years, and is based on a railway which is, no disrespect to the NYMR, not located in a place which is easy for some of us to visit. Certainly, a day out at the NYMR for me would involve three days, a round trip of in excess of 500 miles and two nights accomodation somewhere. When all of this is included, it can be a pretty major logistical exercise, as well as costing significantly more than a day rover on the line would cost.

So the GCR very kindly bring the Q6 down for a visit. The GCR is about at the limit of how far I would travel for a day out, so I will only consider a visit for a major event. I wouldn't travel that far for a normal winter timetable day, with layovers at Loughborough as long as they are, espcially as there is no way that I would know whether the Q6 was working or not.

I'm not into linesiding. I've tried it and I find it totally boring. If this is what some of you enjoy doing, fine, it's just not for me. When I visit a preserved railway, I do so primarily to ride the trains. If a loco is running that I haven't travelled behind before, I will try to ensure that I get to do so. At the last GCR gala I managed my first trips behind both Tornado and Cromwell. It was an excellent event, marred only by the overcrowding which always happens due to the GCR only ever running two rakes of carriages in normal public service.

It would have been great to see the Fairburn Tank in use as well, but I appreciate that maintenance can overrun. Unfortunately its home line is another that I can't do a day trip to.

12. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I do both but seldom if ever ride at a Gala - trains too crowded usually - so wait for a quieter weekend to clock up haulage by visiting locos. If they're only there for the Gala then tough luck for me. The fact remains that the Q6 is working passenger over the weekend so all you haulage fans will be able to experience one of Mr. Raven's finest while those of us who like to see and hear goods locos working a goods train - an all to rare experience these days - will also be happy. Well done GCR I say.

13. TA

TA New Member

While I agree to some extent with what had been said in this thread, the GC has always been known as the enthusiasts railway. And while I'm sure its appealing to some, quite frankly I can't get excited about the prospect of a Q6 on a rake of potentially green mk 1s or any coaching stock for that matter. If you want to travel behind the Q6, why not visit the North Yorkshire Moors, their gradients are far greater than the GC's which lets face it is mostly flat apart from the relatively short gradient from Loughborough to Quorn in comparison. Not to mention the fact that they have the freight stock to run behind the freight engine, and not only that but on a double track mainline. Tada!
    I think it's fantastic that there is a gala being run with not just photographers in mind, but enthusiasts alike, who want to get a real feel for how the railways used to be. And lets face it a Q6 on coaches doesn't quite cut it. For non photographers, surely the thrill of the event is not just riding behind the engines, but also standing at the stations and watching a freight storm through. After all the Q6 is booked on a passenger turn each day, except the Sunday I understand, to cater for those who want to travel behind it. There are too many West Somerset Railway's out there who hire the most inappropriate engines for the line, because all they care about is how many people they can get to buy tickets to travel on the trains. They couldn't care less for any enthusiasts or photographers or authenticity for that matter. And please don't start the I don't pay my way because actually I have bought a lineside pass, so I have contributed by adding the equivalent of nearly two rover tickets. Aren't I therefore entitled to get photos of the correct engines on the correct stock...I think so! After all its not like others are not catered for. 70013, 78019, 30777, 4144, 63601?!?!?! So sorry guys I'm with the GC on this on. Get in lads. Top decision! See you all next weekend.

14. TA

TA New Member

Actually that's rather narrow minded. After all, most, not all, but most photographers actually contribute more to a gala than passengers by purchasing a line-side pass.

Freight trains are actually the main draw of enthusiasts to an event at the GC. They are the only railway able to offer real freight trains. If you want passenger, passenger, passenger, why don't you go somewhere like the Lakeside and Haverthaite, Paignton and Dartmouth, Avon Valley railway.

15. C WALL

C WALL New Member

Civil servant
    Wonder how many at Kinchley Lane or Woodthorpe Bridge have a lineside pass and will swell the GC coffers next weekend.
    I've come to the conclusion that the GC is run for photographers so as suggested will wait for the chance to ride behind the Q6 on a railway that wants passengers...and the associated cash.

16. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

That's two threads running at the moment suggesting that photographers are freeloaders. I like many others enjoy both photographing and travelling on railways but I would rather photograph at a gala. This is because I don't like being wedged in with other enthusiasts and like to have a good window to enjoy the experience. That is also why I haven't done a UK railtour for many years....

The reality is that most photographers do give something back either as volunteers or members of lines. Most photographers enjoy the odd ride or two and most of those that ride like to take photographs so it is not as clear up as some suggest! Also lets face it the Q6 wouldn't be there without the photocharters!

If you want a mileage of a particular engine then galas are never the best bet - the number of runs are always limited as the work is shared among two many engines for the service. For example at this gala 48305 and 4141 (on the dinner) are only doing one pass each and 78019 two but one is at 4.30. The Brit and 30777 are only doing three.

Similar things happen at all lines. I have been to the SVR for a guest engine before and it did one early single trip and that was it. Unlike the GC they didn't have deceny to advertise the passenger diagrams and I had travelled three hours not to get the track I wanted...not been back for a gala there since.

Anyhow it is going to be a cracking gala and I certainly wouldn't want to be sat at home whilst it is going on!

17. waterbucket

waterbucket New Member

Wow, i don't think i've ever known one of our gala rosters spark so much wide-ranging debate before!!

In many ways i do sympathise and agree with those who are disappointed at the lack of pasenger haulage that the Q6 is getting over the weekend. However for most people a service returning at 5pm should allow plenty of time to get back to their originating point. Of course there will be those for whom circumstances do not make this possible and this is disappointing from my point of view as obviously if people are coming especially to ride behind the Q6 then they will not come and that is fair enough. However, that in turn disappoints me as i feel the event has much more to offer than simply the Q6 hauling one passenger train per day. It is not often that we get to put on a show with the freight trains that we are also lucky enough to be able to run and that is all part of a GCR gala these days. Yes photographers can come and pay a pricely sum to attend a photo charter during the week. However if you work full time this is not an ideal option. Ultimately on a gala weekend we want to put on the best show possible for enthusiasts. I use the word 'enthusiast' quite deliberately as this encompasses both the enthusiasts who like to ride up and down on the trains all day and the enthusiasts who enjoy taking the odd picture or 200...unfortunately we will not be able to please everyone but i think on the whole the GC gala format is improving and hopefully we will can keep up that trend.

I am disappointed with the closing comment of the latest post from C Wall. I think you will find that the GC is one of the few heritage railways that puts on a passenger service every weeekend of the year. It is a shame that you judge us on the decision to run the Q6 on one passenger trip on a gala weekend when we deliberately run freights to add some variety. The locomotive will be running on normal weekends during the period of its visit when we will not be running freight trains. We do not know the exact dates but when visiting engines operate it is now often communicated a few days beforehand on the website. You could also call the booking office at Loughborough on 01509 230726 and ask them to confirm if it is running or not. Yes communication in the past has not been great but things are improving!!

For those of you that are planning to attend I hope you enjoy the event. I shall be having some fun guarding and shunting at various locations over the weekend and will probably put in an appearance at the beer tent on saturday night - i would recommend going just for that!!

Phil W
    GCR Operating Department

18. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    For the record just signed up, took the day of to get it all done while I was there, lines side pass as well, not only broke the car as well, so it cost me 450 pounds today with fixing the car, thing I will catch the bus next time!

Getting back to the common complaint that all photographers are free loaders I thing is unfair, yes I would agree that some are, but others are happy to contribute, the problem has always been how, as often the worse place for a photographer is on the train. Secondly the like of NYMR are just not realist about their lines side pass and no day passes, the result is I aften see people going lines side there without an hi-vis or a pass. Why I don't know as there are plenty of good places without having to brake the rules on NYMR. Getting back to GCR I think they have about the right balance on the lines side apart from the day pass issue, some one who just visits once a year or on the spur of the moment does not get the chance to donate. One other way is to put together a good quality guide with a detailed roster and ask a fair price.

Getting back to myself I have always tried to support the railways I visit, in the shop or signing up for membership. Finally I always like to show the railway at work, early morning footage of the cleaners, countryside and other points of intrest in my films, so they advertise the railway, its location and the work that goes into an event.

19. 6136

6136 Member

I too am a little brassed off when people start having a go at photographers. There are always those who will look to get something for nothing but I am a member (contribution 1), have a lineside pass (contribution 2) and have a (modest) monthly standing order which has run for many years (contribution 3). I'm keeping out of the Q6 debate as I can see points on both sides, but lets not start a bash the linesider debate please.

20. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

All looks good to me.
    Personally I gave up worrying too much about which engine I rode behind as when you're in the 3rd coach or further back it might as well be anything on the front. I just enjoy the experience. I am a lineside pass holder who will be at the gala on Saturday and Sunday. On the Saturday I will buy a day rover ticket and possibly only travel between Loughborough and Quorn, if that.

Regards,

Paul