If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR Winter Gala, 26-28 January 2018

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Johann Marsbar, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    BBC online weather forecast for Loughborough on Saturday is now showing "Heavy Rain" as well for part of the day (11.00-14.00) and light rain for 10.00-11.00 & 14.00-16.00.....................

2. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Aye, Sunday now looks the much better day.

3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oh damn! Might not be making it after all then, should have kept Sunday free. :(

So might be an acedemic question for me now, but sat down to looking at the timetable properly; first time I've been to a proper GCR gala (done a couple of the model railway weekends in June) what's Rothley brook? Why is it on the timetable and why do trains turn around there?

4. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    It's where the double track becomes single line just south of Rothley Station

5. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Ah I see, thanks. Well unless the weather forecast changes looks like I'll have to give this a miss after all, a couple of hours rain we could cope with, but Dad especially doesn't fancy a whole day of it especially with 1 1/2 hours drive each way. :( :(

6. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    B12 GCR.jpg
    Mixed bag of results, the sun was out for a few occasions but not always in full ! Hopefully the weather doesn't put to many people off tomorrow.

84H, cg, glenng and 9 others like this.
  7. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

84H, 47406, Matt37401 and 2 others like this.
  8. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Yep, I had no luck catching the two visitors in full sun. Still a good day. I will be back tomorrow, probably more onboard the trains at the stations than out on the line side!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

84H, cg, green five and 6 others like this.
  9. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    84H and Bluenosejohn like this.
  10. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    So here's something I learned today, passengers on the delayed service to Loughborough were held out Swithland due to public passenger trains not being sanctioned to pass through the same section as the TPO ! To say there was a few peeved off people would be an understatement as they missed by the TPO by 10 minutes. There were some questionable operational decisions today, though the majority were all understandable due to a passenger being taken I'll. The gala was a quiet one due to the weather, with people clearly put off by the accurate forecast, although trains seemed to be well loaded with standing room only at some points. Very dissapointed with some of the loco performances, especially the TPO's, usually the crews on the homefleet locos give them a bit of stick. Probably my least enjoyable winter gala in the last 10 years of visiting, regardless of the weather.

11. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

The TPO runs in the past few years that have stuck in my memory have been from Sir Lamiel or Witherslack, both of course unavailable at the moment. The Ivatt seemed to have some trouble on the approach to Quorn, lots of steam from the drain cocks and it looked like it stopped and then started again. With the 9F I guess maybe 5 coaches isn't enough to stretch it, though I think I have seen better runs from it in the past...maybe we've just been spoiled! Well there's always tomorrow.
    I was surprised that they cancelled some passenger services today, usually they carry on with the timetable in spite of any delay. Probably the right decision overall to stop things getting too far behind.

12. Will RL

Will RL Member

It did turn out to be a timetable of random outcome. After the illness, as has been said, it was decided to cancel the first DMU run and a passenger service to Leicester. This switched the main passenger sets over for the rest of the day. 68067 was reported 47 minutes late with the minerals in the afternoon... this was resolved by carrying on the rest of the day with minerals instead of switching to the freight set at Swithland as per the WTT. Most of the deficit was caught by late afternoon, however 92214 ended up 26 late in Loughborough come the end of play.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

13. Springs Branch

Springs Branch New Member

Retired
    Without quoting directly you say that the gala was a quiet one due to the weather, but then state that the trains were well loaded with some standing room only. Does that seem to state that full trains= plenty of fares, quiet gala= fewer photographers, which is best?????

14. AlexS

AlexS New Member

The problem with the timetable arose because of an unfortunate passenger taking ill on board the 'A' set working 2A08 the nature of which required the ambulance service to attend - given you can't rush these things it made it difficult or impossible to plan until the moment the passenger was taken off the train which given the layouts on the line caused some issues with congestion.

The DMU was initially cancelled because of difficulties getting it out of the sidings owing to space followed by an apparent lack of any real path to get it up the line and back with other passenger trains having departed already before it would have been able to go.

The 1200 was pulled to get the Leicester section back by swapping the sets as things had slipped well beyond the point of recovering that, in addition to protect what we thought would be the most popular working of the day, the 1345 double header (the B12 would likely have missed it otherwise) with the guests.

As ever on the spot you win or lose with decision making I'm afraid and I hope that too many folk weren't put out by it!

Bluenosejohn and sunstream like this.
  15. Johann Marsbar

I thought it was a very well attended event - somewhat more than I was expecting, given the weather conditions prevailing at times. In the time I was there (08.15 to 17.30) the trains were very well loaded and some were standing room only, and even the last one off Loughborough appeared to be well loaded.
    Some people seemed a bit annoyed when the Ivatt 2 ended up on one of the trains vice the B12, particularly as it wasn't announced anywhere (ie over the L'boro station PA), so people already sitting on the train weren't aware of the swap. They only found out when the loco ran round at Leicester North !
    Certainly appeared to be less lineside photographers around, which at least gave the benefit of getting photos without orange clad individuals in your pictures.......

Edit:-
    A couple of photos from yesterday.

The Van train continues to grow in length, with an extra vehicle restored recently and added for the gala.
    DSCF2044.JPG

Thought the adding of product posters to some of the vans was a nice touch.
    DSCF2035.JPG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Bluenosejohn, Copper-capped and 84H like this.
  16. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I had a similar experience to Johann and enjoyed myself as usual. At least it wasn't as cold as it normally is. I wonder if there may be the potential for jammed full carriages today as people shift from Sat to Sunday due to the weather. With a DMU and one short train of compartment carriages this may be exacerbated. I really missed that there was not a Twilight show which has always been one of the highlights of my rail year.

I am so glad that I parked right near to the exit of the Quorn car park in anticipation of the rain. Exiting the car park was getting really marginal towards the end of the day due to the mud although I think everyone seemed to get out eventually and I helped push one guys car to get it moving after dark.

As I think I say every year, its really good to see so many youngsters in Operational and footplate roles at this Gala.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  17. Quicksilver2510

Quicksilver2510 New Member

18. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

My video and a few photos from the gala yesterday. This being my first visit to the GC Winter Gala in 4 years, it certainly seemed as busy as I remember! There were certainly points during the day where I considered bailing and going home, especially after my first shot of the day of 78018 on the delayed 1030 ex Loughborough leaving Quorn in the pouring rain (not included in the video!), the back of my jeans were soaked through thanks to the wind and rain! Even after standing in front of the fire in the waiting room for 20-30 minutes didn't really help the situation!

[​IMG]
    47406 at Charnwood Water.

[​IMG]
    13065 & 8572 at Woodthorpe.

[​IMG]
    46521 at Woodthorpe.

[​IMG]
    68067 & 47406 leaving Quorn & Woodhouse.

[​IMG]
    13065 at Quorn & Woodhouse.

Bluenosejohn, Copper-capped and 84H like this.
  19. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Certain galas (like this one & the SVR Autumn gala) do seem to become a victim of their own success. My ideal would be to come and spend the weekend have a day on the trains and some time photographing which helps the railway and the local economy. But I am no longer prepared to stand a lot of the time (my 91 year dad is certainly not) or just stay in one seat all day, as I know some do, just to ensure a seat hope the locos you want come to you. Parking of course will always be an issue at this time of the year and I do not know how you overcome a muddy field, but if it does get too wet to use where do you get everybody to park?
    Hope today is a success for the railway and overall it is a profitable event.

20. Johann Marsbar

Have I got a photo of you taking a photo, as you appear to have one of me taking a photo?!!!

DSCF2046.JPG