If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR Winter Gala 2014 Special guest Engine ???

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by LMarsh1987, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Not sure how you reach the conclusion someone "needs to get a grip" because they decide not to go somewhere? Presumably you don't go to EVERY gala, and you make decisions about which to attend based on what's appearing at each? Now, if you were marketing a preserved line (or indeed any business), surely it'd be more helpful to have people explain WHY they're not using your goods/services than to just avoid them?

A1X likes this.
  2. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Not going to an event simply because a locomotive is not how you wish it to be is a bit beyond me. There's 8 other locos to see, the whole experience of the event. Like the guy who was covering up his eyes when 5972 was at the GWSR, how pathetic.

Why look at the negatives, from a personal stance, when there are so many positives?

Why can't people see, these locomotives could have been scrapped, there are plenty of 8Fs and 9Fs around, so to have some fictional liveries adds variety, anyway the 9F lined is a slight variation on it's original. If you don't like it fine, but to criticise a railway/owning group for doing what they like is stupid, as long as it's running and not a sole survivor I don't see an issue.

Rob, sche and Bifur01 like this.
  3. Robert Heath No.6

So what are you criteria for choosing whether or not to attend a gala, and why are they more valid than his? Although I will agree with you on the 5972 front...

4. JBTEvans

If I got the time and money to go is my criteria generally. Also value for money, like I did not attend the WSR SSG two years ago as the rover was ridiculously increased (and after this event reduced) for locomotives that had visited the line previously and a less attractive loco in 80072 when 80104 and 80136 have ran there recently. I couldn't attend the days 6024 ran either. They are no more valid than anyone elses, but I don't say sarcastically on a forum why I am not going. It's like not going to a 1940s weekend because the line has mark 1s and standards operating, it's missing the point of the event.

I personally probably won't make the GCR gala but it doesn't mean I'm staying away because the 8F is red hauling a rake of Mk1 coaches painted up in Pullman colours passing a lined out 9F on TPO.

5. Robert Heath No.6

So "I'm not going because the locos have visited before" is reasonable (ahem, 5643 and 3844!), but "I'm not going because I don't like how they look" is indicative of needing to get a grip? Fair enough...

As an aside, I think the 8F looks good :p

6. 84A

84A New Member

I won't be attending the GCR gala purely because I have other commitments that weekend. However, on the view of fictional liveries, I am inclined to agree with david1984. I have been to the GWSR a number of times (in particular, on gala weekends) and have to say that the least enjoyable of those was the one where 5972 was visiting. I don't mind if coaches are painted an ever so slightly different shade of maroon to those seen in BR, or if locomotives are finished in pre-48 liveries running with Mk1's (or any other similar gripe). The main draw for me at gala weekends is the recreation of an era from a time long before I was born, even if only for 1/400 second!

I can understand the reasoning behind the naming/lining out of 92214, however the red 8F still baffles me.

7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
  8. JBTEvans

Well like I said I couldn't attend any day bar the first when 6024 wasn't running due to football commitments and the SVR gala. As a regular DFR visitor I've seen 1450 & 178 countless times. So to pay an inflated price for just 70000 that had visited the previous year at the same gala and 80072 wasn't justifiable in my opinion for me to cash out on, on limited income as I was 16 at the time.

9. JBTEvans

For me that was a great gala as 5526 was running with the GWR autocoach (for the first time in preservation this combo of black 4575 and gwr liveried autocoach as far as I know) and brakevan rides behind 662. It was nice to see a locomotive, in 5972, that is rarely seen too.

10. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

If you are travelling the livery of the loco makes no difference and these are the people who matter and most will not be enthusiasts either.

11. Sidmouth

The GCR prides itself in recreating the illusion of the GCR main line of the 1950's . Yes you may not see the lined black 9f at the front , but you see the red 8f , Green N2, green King Arthur against a predominant BR era rolling stock . So I can fully understand where David 1984 is coming from .

12. JBTEvans

Look past the liveries!!! You fail to mention the duo 2MTs, jinty, 5643, Oliver Cromwell in their 'correct' liveries!!!!!

13. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    I quite agree, the only reason I went to GWSR gala in May 2009 was for 5972 and it has not worked at any preserved railway since!

14. Sidmouth

Sorry JBT , it is my personal preference where I go , and where i choose to spend my money as it is yours . Now I never said whether or not I was going to this gala but passed comment on the GCR illusion becoming somewhat dayglo !

15. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    "Recreating the experience". Must've been some pretty trippy acid in the Midlands in the 60s, maybe that's why the locos are brightly coloured.

16. JBTEvans

People are taking the recreating thing too seriously though in my opinion. So what if a loco is in it's pre-BR colours?

17. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No problems with pre-BR colours (though prefer locos and coaches matched up), but imaginary and incorrect liveries isn't my thing. Red 8F, lined black 9F, Cromwell pullmans, sorry, they don't appeal in the slightest.

18. JBTEvans

Who is to say a black 9F never carried lining? Even if it was just chalked on by MPD staff as a joke one shift. Afterall 92220 carried lining, albeit in green, but it's not likely she'll turn a wheel again.

19. Sidmouth

They didn't run in service lined black nor named , in the same way an 8F was never red . If you are going to play with railway history then adopt a great central livery of the 21st century and get rid of the pretence

Jamessquared likes this.
  20. Robert Heath No.6

Well that's your opinion, and it's no more or less valid than theirs. Doesn't mean they "need to get a grip", just means they disagree with you.