If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCR Ending of Lineside Passes, ex-Bridge that Gap: Great Central Railway News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by LMarsh1987, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There is a lot of truth in what you say in the last paragraph. It is inevitable that as those who pioneered the preservation movement ( my generation) become less active and die out the current management will be less interested in the historical recreation side of the business and see it more as an entertainment. The GCR is a good example, I believe the late Bill Ford was not an enthusiast and thought it was a good idea to give Standard 2s funny names and paint them in bright colours to be more attractive to the public. Thankfully the Darlington Locomotive Society has other ideas. The danger is when something goes wrong or they need to raise cash it's the enthusiasts who answer the call. When the SVR had the disasterous flood most of us responded and I have supported all but one share issue. Would I do the same for the GC or the Dartmouth Railway, no.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Landshrew and 60017 like this.
  2. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    According to Paul Dennis not everyone has lost their permit and some have received letters saying they will keep it.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/66202473@N04/46088519761/

I've also spoken with a good friend who also confirmed this so how did the GCR decide who stays and who doesn't? I thought it was a complete ban but it doesn't seem that way. Anyone else come across this?

3. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Is that not what happens at most railways where there are either no passes or they have been withdrawn. There are some that are given permission either because their images are deemed useful for advertising purposes, or their "status" as a railway photographer

4. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    I agree. I have been a 'friend' of the GCR for 10 years or so and obtained a LPP 3 years ago specifically with the intention of visiting locations not accessible to non - LPP holders. I too agree that the decision to withdraw LPPs is probably inevitable although disappointing from my own selfish point of view!
    However, for me to make the nearly 275 mile round trip from home (which always involves an overnight stop) as regularly as I did (up to 4 times a year) will require a careful re-think given I'm also a member at the Watercress and SVR and a frequent visitor to Swanage! I don't find the ride between Loughborough and Leicester North particularly inspiring although I always buy travel tickets and my own interest is taking photographs so the loss of LPP and the additional access permitted by same will inevitably result in less visits.
    Finally, I have contributed to the 'Bridge the Gap' fund and wish the railway every success into the future.

David likes trains and 60017 like this.
  5. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)

mmm! The email I received stated: ..."In an effort to minimise risk and because of increasing pressure from various bodies, including our insurers, we have reviewed our policy for allowing lineside access for photographers. Our board and management team have decided to rescind this policy, and as a result we will be cancelling all previously issued lineside permits with effect from 1st January 2019".....
    Hence the policy has been changed and presumably those being allowed to have lineside access are deemed to be ; 'Official Photographers'? Not sure of the criteria used but I 'aint one!!

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

Working members perchance ?

michaelh likes this.
  7. Drop_Shunt

Drop_Shunt New Member

If they are, then I trust that they will have to undergo the same training, have the same medicals, and hold the same competencies as any other track worker, and fully comply with the GCR’s rulebook and policies. Furthermore the rulebook is perfectly clear that their duties must require them to be on or about the line before they can do so - staff cannot just wander on and take pictures.

If the above were not the case, and it was a fudge to allow a few photographers to carry on as before, I guess the others would have reasonable cause for feeling hard done by.

8. FlyingScotsman4472

I don't have a problem with the permit being cancelled, obviously very disappointed to see it go after being a member since 2006 and good locations on the GCR are hard to come by without one. If certain individuals are being allowed to keep their permits then that doesn't follow the message I got in my email like many others about pressure from various bodies, including their Insurers. A friend of mine emailed the GCR to find out what is exactly going on and we await their reply. They should have capped the numbers like when I applied for a permit at the NYMR many years ago, I had to go on a waiting list only 150 back then were issued not sure if that is still the case up there. It was getting very difficult during a gala weekend to keep out of someones shot or not to include a orange vest in your shot.

Landshrew and 60017 like this.
  9. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    I find that rather sad. I've supported appeals after catastrophic embankment collapses at both the SVR and GWSR, though normally 'GWR ' lines would be bottom of my list for funding, if I were to dogmatically adhere to my 'religious preference' in the 'broad church'. IMHO there's a time and place for partisanship, but also times when we should stand together for the greater good of the movement.

echap, TseTT, oddsocks and 2 others like this.
  10. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

How many Heritage lines do offer Lineside Photo Passes or similar?

11. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Glenmutchkin likes this.
  12. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

With photography there is always an attraction to getting images that are different or unique. The main reason I got a permit was for some more variety on my visits to the railway, which are fairly frequent given it's relatively short drive up the motorway from me. For me a 'nice to have' rather than an essential, having said that it's essential if I want to take photos like the one below - something you can't see anywhere else in the country. Not sure if even the charters run there have more than one engine in steam?
    As discussed previously there aren't many publicly accessible scenic spots on the line (hence why the one place in particular draws a crowd!), plus the GCR doesn't pass through any spectacular scenery like some other lines are blessed with. I think these definitely factor in the popularity of the permit scheme.
    [​IMG]

13. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

My Dad gets Railway Mag, so we'll have to see what the next edition has to say...

Twitter Chat.JPG

14. FlyingScotsman4472

If they had put a limit on numbers and introduced a waiting list that would have solved the problem. We the not 'chosen ones' have been cast aside after many years of membership and support no longer needed and wanted. Given many images to the GCR journal and website over those years of support.

Landshrew and bantam61668 like this.
  15. bantam61668

bantam61668 New Member

If it’s true that they have a chosen few then what they have said is not true. I’m pretty sure insurance companies don’t care about your photography pedigree when making premiums. It’s either a total ban or it isn’t.
    This is beginning to turn into a PR disaster for the GCR. I’ll wait before coming to any decisions but if as it seems they no longer value my support then I shall take it elsewhere.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  16. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    It’s either a total ban or it isn’......I said that 2

17. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

I can only speak for myself but when I was firing I always found linesiders a source of stress, because all it takes is one person to be too interested in their shot and to forget where they are.

Perhaps I just don’t get it, more often than not I find myself looking at photographers and I find myself saying ‘what the **** are you doing?’ It is just a photo and it isn’t worth the hassle, danger or anger for something that is just a photo. If it were important I could understand, but am afraid I can’t.

I won’t say I am glad, but if it makes loco crews lives a little less stressful and the line safer then this is a good thing.

Graham Phillips, jnc, 45076 and 6 others like this.
  18. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Simon, as I posted above, it will be the well known photters and long standing members !

19. johned2009

johned2009 New Member

I am a lineside pass holder and would add that capturing videos from the public areas would be very limiting and not worth the effort so I will not be visiting the railway again. There are approximately 350 linesiders and taking the cost of the pass and the GCR membership I estimate this represents £20,000 per annum. The WSR has reversed its decision to ban permits and let's hope that the impact on the GCR forces them to do the same. I would agree that the training for being on the lineside was poor but in terms of risk how many people have been injured or killed in the past? A case of what might happen rather than what has happened. As for the Woodthorpe residents they could plainly see that there was a preserved railway on their doorstep which would attract many people so why did they buy those properties?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  20. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Sometimes charters certainly do have two locos

IMG_0043.JPG 1 48305-49395 kinchley lane.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.