If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Gauge Glasses

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by domeyhead, Jan 6, 2015.

1. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Forgive my ignorance gents, but I was pondering about these implements. Am I right in thinking that the pressure in the glass tube is equal to that in the boiler itself? This surprises me knowing how brittle glass is and how prone it is to shattering especially if exposed to unequal temperatures.
    The gauge glass itself looks like particularly vulnerable with the ability to spray high temperature steam at least temporarily anyway. Had anybody ever known one to shatter? I have heard it was not uncommon in BR days.

2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You are quite correct, the glass is subject to full boiler pressure but it does have a relatively small surface area over which that pressure is acting. Gauge glasses due occasionally break but the protector is designed, not only to resist an accidental knock, but also contain any bits of flying glass while the fireman closes the shut off cocks. Some locos are fitted with a sort of 'automatic' check to reduce the amount of steam/water flying about but can't always be relied on (IMHO). A glass breaking is not as frightening as it looks and 'in the old days' it wasn't unknown for a driver to remove the protector when the fireman wasn't looking and give the glass a 'whack' just so the fireman got the experience of shutting it off and replacing it. It may surprise some people to know that gauge glass does 'thin' over time which is why they used to be replaced on a regular basis. Hope this answers your question. Ray.

Wenlock likes this.
  3. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Indeed it does Ray. Many thanks for your interesting response!

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Being in the confined cab of a Sentinel when one goes is however is a very scary experience, and since both of us are glasses wearers we both lost vision completely..:Wideyed:

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

It's rare for two to go at the same time so in practice were one to go, the crew could continue with just the one indicator rather than having to stop.

6. 32110

32110 Member

Retired from full time paid work
  7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I've had three break in my lifetime on locomotives. They can go with an explosive bang or merely a gentle pop. The last one happened as I was swapping with another driver and he was on the footplate and I had one foot on the platform when it happened so it was his problem! One of those that went on me shattered the gauge glass protector, which was about 3/8" thick glass. They do have the potential to be lethal. If one goes, you change it asap as you need two working gauge glasses for safe operation. Unless its a GW loco, that is!!

8. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

With a working pressure of 275 psi I bet it it was a bit of a 'botty twitcher'! It's a long time since I've driven a Sentinel but I recollect that they only had a single gauge glass - is that correct? I had a Marshall roller for many years and that had a reflex glass - not as easy to see in poor light but a lot more resistant to 'shovel rash'. Cheers, Ray.

9. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    I've not had a loco boiler gauge glass fail in the 36 years I've been on the footplate but I found a gauge glass failure on a 950 psi marine boiler in the 1970s quite exciting!

Wenlock likes this.
  10. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

In the last 29 years its happened three times to me. Twice in one day (both with a bang) and once since. The last one was quite funny really as the trainee fireman had just asked about the procedure for changing gauge glasses. two minutes later he was able to try it for himself!

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

And I can think of one ML locomotive where they are changed for the very reason you indicate.

12. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Good practice is to change the gauge glasses at every washout exam. The rubbers go hard with use anyway.

Hurricane likes this.
  13. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

I know MHR standard practice is new glass at every washout. This could be one reason why a broken glass is a very rare occurrence; always better to try and minimise the risk of it occurring.

14. Steve

I'd be surprised if any respectable railway didn't change gauge glasses at washouts or some sensible maintenance period. When you've seen what can happen to them, you'll know why.

15. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Exactly as the end of the day any railway which doesn't have a regular programme for changing the glasses would be seen as negligent in the event of an incident from one breaking.

Something that I was taught is that on an engine with two glasses is if one breaks then the other should also be changed asap but when it is safe to do so; as it is probably close to going.

One thing I wasn't aware of is how important the set up of the boiler back head fittings is, if they are slightly out of line then this will be a cause of regular gauge glass breakages.

16. RalphW

There was a modification carried out and now the glass part is just a flat piece that is clamped onto the front of, for want of a better description, a metal channel. Being flat it has much more strength and breakages are now a thing of the past. Yes there is just the one.

17. Steve

??? Do you mean Klinger reflex glasses? (as mentioned by Marshall5)

18. QLDriver

QLDriver New Member

Materials Testing
    The problem with Klingers (particularly on wagons) is that you lose a lot of glass length. On our Garrett wagon (with a generally similar boiler size to a Sentinel), the water can very quickly go from the bottom nut to the top nut of the glass, because there's so little volume. A Klinger glass would make it all much more nerve wracking!

19. RalphW

Yes that's what they are called, couldn't remember the name, and yes they are pretty short so you have to be on the ball all the time.