If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

FR & WHR & WHHR News

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by AndrewT, Jul 17, 2012.

1. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

The simple solution to that is: don't use the Harvard system!

At both school and university, I have always been taught to use footnotes. Unlike in-line citations, they do not interrupt the flow of the text; but unlike endnotes, they are within sight of the text they refer to, which saves the reader having to constantly flick back and forth to the end of the book.

I reject the idea that academic texts will always be dry. It is perfectly possible to write narrative histories which read like novels, and yet are still academically rigorous and fully referenced. A People's Tragedy by Orlando Figes would be a good non-railway example. (Be warned, though, it is a long read!)

2. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

It is quite difficult to strike a balance.

I tend to take the view Boyd's style and approach to research never changed much over 40 years. One gets the impression he had lots of pieces of paper with notes written on them, which he attempted to make some kind of narrative out of. Of the 2 famous Ffestiniog volumes, I constantly recall having to go back and try and cross reference everything, particular with the locomotives. And with the locomotives, because Boyd wasn't au fait with locomotive matters, it all gets a bit annoying.

I have his 'Talyllyn Railway' which was expected to be something quite special. Again, one gets the impression Boyd had a vast collection of pages of notes which he failed to assimilate into a coherent narrative, though the pictures in the book are in most cases stunning, and some of very great importance.

I think John Bate got it about right with his 'The Chronicles of Pendre Sidings'.

Peter Johnson's 'Immortal Rails' volumes and his lengthy book on the WHR I agree are a bit dry, but are very well researched.

I have 2 copies of Rolt's 'Railway Adventure'; one copy is covered with my penciled notes of all sorts of details and dates missing from the narrative. With the addition of my penciled notes to 'Railway Adventure', one realises that Rolt's book was a very accurate account.

Cheers,

Julian

ragl likes this.
  3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I can't add anything to the debate about Ffestiniog research (having read none of the books whatsoever) but I can't help noticing that there are easily enough original parts listed here for a 'very heavy rebuild' Taliesin-style. Just saying...

weltrol likes this.
  4. meeee

meeee Member

You joke but we have Welsh Ponys old frames and boiler in the waggon tracks shed. We contemplated if it would be possible to put them on Palmerstons old wheels so they take up less space. Find a few more bits and then you have a replica Little Giant.

Tim

paullad1984 likes this.
  5. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    [Dons tin hat.....]
    Interesting notion, though, were it to happen, I could well imagine the ensuing campaign to restore Princess to working order. :)
    [..... and runs for cover!]

6. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Albeit one that wouldn't work!

As for Princess...well as somebody wise (Asquith I think?) once said..."why not leave it alone?" ;)

andrewshimmin likes this.
  7. SirChad

SirChad New Member

Mrcow likes this.
  8. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can we have it in Prussian Blue please? :)

(Personally if you want to see a loco called Mountaineer running I know which one I'd want to see, but that's because my first visit to the line was in the mid-80s)

SpudUk, andrewshimmin and RLinkinS like this.
  9. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

I'd much rather see the ALCO restored but to WW1 condition. If anyone wants to see what an original England looked like there is always 'Topsy'.
    Ray.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Paul42, Forestpines and michaelh like this.
  10. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Re: Princess .... methinks it best pointed out I was kidding .... honest! :D

MuzTrem likes this.
  11. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    On the basis of that website I'm not entirely convinced, but we've seen such schemes run by a one man band keyboard warrior come and go without much to show for it. Whilst as a hobby locomotive it has merit in recreating one of the earliest NG locomotives but they will have to go up several gears before many will put their hands in their pockets is my initial view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Mmm, the website says nothing about who is behind the project, and many of the links (to find out more or give your contact details) do not work.

I guess we'll see at the Warley show if the project really is represented there....

If anyone involved with the project are reading this - Please fix the Website and tell us who you are!!

13. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    I've now had a search with the company name - you get just one director who is named which confirms my lack of confidence, buyer beware is still the gut feeling I get. . . . . needs more work if they really want to be seen as serious players IMHO.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11888664/officers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

Website says it aims to appear at the 2012 Fest.
    Needs clarification, maybe its 2112 ?

15. Forestpines

Reading the shareholding summary: the company is currently owned 50/50 between the named director and one other person.

I'm surprised that although the website says they "have full support from the Ffesiniog (sic) Railway, who have generously allowed us access to original drawings, casting patterns & expertise," I haven't noticed any of the FfR's various social media outlets mentioning the project!

The writing on the website is pretty poor, and it's difficult to tell sometimes if their errors are genuine errors or are just misleading writing. For example a sentence about Princess immediately following a modern photo says "While the changes were adopted to improve haulage with a false saddle tank acting as a weight!" - do they think the saddle tanks currently on Princess, Prince and Palmerston are all still false ones, or is that just bad writing?

At least they're not suggesting an original condition Small England with domeless boiler, I suppose.

MuzTrem likes this.
  16. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

Nevertheless, some lovely paintings of Mountaineer by a Mr Jonathan Clay, and I wouldn't mind having one (or a copy) on my wall and paying for it.

Cheers,
    Julian

Forestpines likes this.
  17. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    My eye keeps being drawn to that pipe across the front of that 'barn door' on the smokebox which appears to prevent it from opening - I'm fairly certain it didn't but the painting appears to show that - artistic license and all that!

18. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

The Mountaineer pic is not amongst them, but plenty to choose from here:
    http://www.jonathanclay.co.uk/shop/

Keith

Forestpines likes this.
  19. Forestpines

If you head to http://www.jonathanclay.co.uk you'll see it's listed in his catalog, and prices start at £15 or so including postage.

Disclaimer: I'm not connected to him, but all I can say is that I have seen his art before and agree that it is rather nice.

Edit: argh, I posted at the same time as @ghost - I can't see the red Mountaineer in the catalogue at present but there is a blue one.

20. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

I thought the same, but the photo of The Princess on the "Background" page seems to show the same arrangement!

Steve B