If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

FR & WHR & WHHR News

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by AndrewT, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    True, though there are mitigating factors. Different times .... different circumstances, but just to recap (as I realise the OP wasn't taking a negative stance):

The revived FfR of the 1950s - 1970s was very much 'all hands to the pumps', making use of what was available - in terms of both kit and expertise - and nearly always seemed to be teetering on the edge of a locomotive crisis and perennially short of carriages. Let's keep in mind that 'the heritage thing' didn't really get into gear until opposition to proposals to rebuild Earl of Merioneth (Livingston Thompson) along the same lines as Merddin Emrys - which, lest we forget - wasn't exactly the most sympathetic restoration ever!

Fast forward to today, when the whole kit'n'kaboodle encompasses two distinct operations (three, if you count the WHHR). Restoration of the WHR took place in far more regulated times .... and from a much worse condition than the senior line. Aside from the trackbed, bridges (many in need of replacement) and an assortment of buildings in varying stages of disintegration, there wasn't much left. All surviving WHR stock had long been split between what went to Blodge (under the old regime) and what's now made it to the WHHR, plus the almost incredible return of early diesel KS4415 to the fold.

On the FfR, whilst there's much heritage kit on hand, under restoration or safely conserved, much rebuilt Merddin Emrys aside, 'commercial' services are operated by modern stuff. Even 'the Ladies' seem to be gradually retiring to 'heritage' status. As one who well recalls the 'interesting' experience of travelling in a 'bug box', today's frontline stock is in a different league. Don't those observation carriages look simply fantastic? Without commercially successful operations, scope to indulge in purely heritage activities, on the scale we know today, would be severely circumscribed. Roll on James Spooner!

So, (visible) WHR 'heritage' has, thus far, mainly been confined to real estate. The historic buildings at Dinas look very fine, as does the restored Tryfan Junction. Waunfawr doesn't look half bad either. There's the embryonic Gowrie project underway. On the horizon mutterings of 4-wheelers and Cleminsons and for the more distant future, I'd not bet against a rebuilt Moel Tryfan. On the WHHR, there's Russell, the resurrected 'Gladstone Car' and WHR No.24 recreation. Not too shabby, wouldn't you say?

And for the record ..... I'm rather fond of the NGG16s too (plus, can't wait to see a working 'Kalahari'!) and reckon the bold new Gorsaf Caernarfon looks just great.

nanstallon and Sheff like this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

I'm sure that the WHR will see much more variety and heritage type running in the future (may be further into the future than many would like) but the realities at the moment are that the present service requires two locos (of Garratt type capacity) on every day the line is open. At the moment there are only two Garratts available! Not exactly the provision that you would want to run with long term. Of the Diesel standbys only one of sufficient capacity to haul a reduced WHR train is presently serviceable (and I'm not actually sure about that after it's recent misdemeanor) and that also has to cover the FR as well. The other alternative is to use FR locos double heading, which denudes the FR of suitable locos. There are two more Garratts either approaching the end of an overhaul or total rebuilding, and that will ease the burdens considerably. It seems that the aim is to concentrate on building up the fleet of both locos and carriages to robustly meet the needs of the public service, before moving into the "wouldn't it be nice" type work. The FR side of things arrived at that point some time ago, hence the heritage side of things there is much more established, but even there it tends to get brought out for special occasions, rather than for day in day out type work. There is very much a place for the "wouldn't it be nice" type operations, and the FR&WHR have shown themselves to welcome that, but priorities have to be realistically set.

There have, of course, been some heritage operations on the WHR - the recent weekend involving Russell being one, and last summer's heritage trains with an England (Prince or Palmerston?) on short trains of heritage WHR stock running at the north end of the line. I could well see "Welsh Pony" strutting its stuff doing similar work the in the years to come - an archetypal WHR train from the 1920s!.

Steve B

3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I believe repair of the second Funkey (Castell Caernarfon) is underway.

4. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The vac gear was fitted inside the coal bunker on the drivers side. It was removed

a) to make room for coal as it was needed for the runs to Beddgelert

b) Russell was restored to 1906 as built condition during the last overhaul so without vac gear.

Now things are moving ahead there will soon be carriage 42 (toast rack) back in service and a new build Pickering brake to join the WHHR air braked rake. This should provide plenty of capacity for the next outing on the RhE.

MuzTrem and weltrol like this.
  5. CymruGarratt

CymruGarratt New Member

It can't be that difficult to re-fit a vacuum ejector to Russell surely - unobtrusively between the frames perhaps? That would make the loco so much more flexible in operation, and able to work FR stock without another engine providing the vacuum.

6. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Now that relations have improved beyond expectations I think it is likely that this may well happen in the future. Even 12 months ago this did not appear as if it would have been needed. But let us not run before we have perfected walking...

SpudUk, weltrol and black5 like this.
  7. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Now that relations have improved beyond expectations I think it is likely that this may well happen in the future. Even 12 months ago this did not appear as if it would have been needed. But let us not run before we have perfected walking...

8. talyllyn1

talyllyn1 Member

Looking at the WHR timetable, the "peak" starts tomorrow, with three round trips (except Fri, Sat, Sun - two round trips) until the end of August. There then follows two round trips (one from each end) every day until early October. This means that two Garratts are required in regular service.
    The first day with no service is Friday 4th October. It looks unlikely that either 87 or 130 will be in traffic before then, so the whole service will rely on 138 and 143 being in continuous use.
    With no back-up power of suitable capacity this leaves no margin for failures. The NGG16s have proved to be very reliable, but the timetable allows no down-time for maintenance.
    Does anybody know what the boiler washout frequency is for these machines?

George37428 likes this.
  9. CymruGarratt

CymruGarratt New Member

And unless I'm mistaken, there's no diesel backup either, as the two Funkeys are out of service for different reasons, as is the smaller Garratt K1. I believe the FR copes by using a Double and a Single Fairlie, with the knock-on effect that the FR service has to be covered by smaller locomotives.

10. 76079

76079 Member

Now that relations are improving is it time to vac fit an LYD2 and unleash one? :D

Mrcow, ragl, Goldie and 3 others like this.
  11. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Daft question.... can the LYD2 types run in multiple?

12. pgbffest

pgbffest New Member

Is one of those Funkey's the one that has been shunting round Porthmadog this morning?

13. pgbffest

pgbffest New Member

There's a very strict blow down regime with regular analysis of boiler water. So unless there's an issue with a locomotive, then they get washed out for annual exam and that's normally it.

14. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Yup, just spotted Vale of Ffestiniog on the Harbour webcam

15. meeee

meeee Member

Yes, you can use the working one to tow the two broken ones.

jon5051, ragl, estwdjhn and 6 others like this.
  16. Goldie

Goldie New Member

And the other Funkey, Castell Caernarfon, is well on its way back. Various bits of bodywork were waiting to be refitted at Boston Lodge, all freshly painted (green with yellow stripe this time) when we were over there a couple of weeks back.

17. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
  18. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
  19. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    My pleasure. Glad you like them. They are pictures from the Friday; give me time and I'll get the rest of the weekend done.

ragl likes this.
  20. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

Funkey bits showing the new livery. 493C6216-A33E-4685-B438-DFB014A744A9.jpeg