If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

FR & WHR & WHHR News

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by AndrewT, Jul 17, 2012.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    The problem with Castell Cidm bridge is that the invert is below the level of Llyn Cwellyn. We can run through a few inches of water and there are markers on the bridge to indicate the depth. We're OK until the water's in the red...

2. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Here's something you don't see in Porthmadog every day...

[​IMG]

3. gwernol

gwernol New Member

Chief Technology Officer
    Is that you in the kilt, Andrew?

4. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

Sunshine?

Charles Martel likes this.
  5. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I accept that AndrewT's explanation is the current factual situation but the interruptions to service from flooding at Castell Cidwm are disappointing to visitors and must be frustrating to the operator; just the opposite of the railway's achievement earlier this year when services were provided via Pont Croesor when roads were impassable.

There is a spillway at the outflow from Llyn Cwellyn and, as the Afon Gwyrfai heads west, it cannot be long before its level is below the datum of the railway invert below the highway bridge at Castell Cidwm. There would appear to be two solutions. The very expensive one would be deepening the cutting and maintaining the railway at this invert level until it reaches the same, existing, level further west. The possibly affordable one would be to sink a land drain in deep trench alonside the railway until it can discharge into the Afon Gwyrfai at a point safe against backing-up in times of flood.

I'm sure that the FR has thought of these, so is it just not affordable at present or is it a case of "No business case in sight"?

6. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

A third option is to raise the bridge and the trackbed - I think I'm right in saying that the trackbed had to be lowered to fit the present day WHR locos, and it is a rather tight fit through that bridge. From comments I have picked up from different sources I'm sure that the company have plans/intentions/hopes - having the dosh available might well be the limiting factor.

How often does the service get disrupted?

Steve B

7. Steve B

For anyone who hasn't already seen it, and is curious, here is a link to the WHR project's web page detailing the rebuilding of this section - scroll down to find the bit about Castell Cidwm bridge. WHR Project Phase 3 - Plas y Nant to Castell Cidwm

Steve B

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A forth, and possibly cheaper option, might be to build a sump and pump away the flood water using electric or diesel pumps? Would need somewhere suitable and ideally not too distant to discharge to of course.

9. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    The main problem is that the pipework changes diameter under the bridge and is therefore prone to blockage. It's all set in concrete - as is the track - and it's on the list to be dug out and replaced as part of the winter works programme.

Annoyingly, the original plans for the NWNGR had the railway running alongside the eastern side of the road all the way from Snowdon Ranger to the bridge over the Gwyrfai at Plas y Nant, where it would have crossed the road on the level, rather than under the road and then across the bog between Castell Cidwm and the Gwyrfai bridge. Why the route was changed before construction remains a mystery.

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Porridge Gunners?

11. Steve B

Thanks Andrew.

Steve B

12. Sheff

Ditto. Interesting stuff.

13. Baldopeter

Baldopeter New Member

If you read Mr Rushtons magnum opus you will also realise that this bridge was the site of the last track laying in phase 3, and the money was running out. I think I remember the ground under the bridge was solid, hard rock, followed by the bog on the north side. All very difficult ground conditions, as well as being surrounded by a landowner who can not be described as one of the railways most sympathetic supporters, meant there were very few options to improve the drainage.

I am sure a lot of thought has gone into viable solutions, but I do not think there are and cheap or easy ones. The dip at Plas still defies being levelled, as AST points out, a different alignment is the best option, but as always its justifying the expenditure to solve a problem that occurs once or twice a year, annoying that these days are. If only it didn't rain so much in N Wales......

Regards

Peter

14. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Incidentally, they tried to measure the depth of the bog at Plas y Nant, but ran out of rods at 60 feet, so it is, officially, bottomless.

It's part of a glacial moraine, btw.

15. Sheff

Guaranteed there'll be an original loco down there then ;)

16. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    NG/G16 138 moved under her own steam for the first time since a major refit and conversion to coal firing at Dinas yesterday.

PA090007-1024.jpg

17. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Around 100 ten metre lengths of 75lb FB rail was delivered to Minffordd Yard yesterday for use in the Harbour Station redevelopment. The rail came from the Isle of Man and FR PW staff travelled to the Island to select the materials. Meanwhile, contractors are on site as part of Phase 2 of the redevelopment - the construction of a new concrete wave wall on the seaward side of the widened Cob embankment.

Meanwhile, at Dinas, NG/G16 138 was trial fitted with its new headlights. The loco is expected to be rostered on double-headed running-in turns next week prior to its return to service.

DSC09706-1024.jpg DSC09709-1024.jpg View attachment 5848

18. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Merddin Emrys heads past the footings for the new wave wall this morning...

View attachment 5855

19. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Is the FR going to continue posting videos of progress on the cob this winter?

Regards

20. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Nope. News updates and stills only, although our in-house video bloke will no doubt do the occasional piece when something photogenic happens.
    At the moment the contractors are installing the shuttering for the wave wall footings concrete pour. It's not quite as telegenic as loads of trucks and big diggers whizzing about.