If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

FR & WHR & WHHR News

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by AndrewT, Jul 17, 2012.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I've just watched Nigel Harris's video of a gravity train

At 8:21 he mentions the strict instruction to keep arms and legs inside the wagons because of the very narrow clearances. How is it that the brakemen are able to sit sideways, with their legs over the sides of the wagons?

How are these trains braked when loco-hauled up to Dduallt?

When the new Blodge is ready for visitors, will there be car parking there, will trains stop there to deliver visitors, or what?

2. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

https://nlhfproject.festrail.co.uk/workshops/

For the tour in march a train was run to Boston Lodge for the participants, I would imagine that the same arrangements will apply when the full tours commence (August). I suspect that they will be very popular.

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

3. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Here are three more short clips from Beddgelert:

TTFN,

Ron.

ragl likes this.
  4. meeee

meeee Member

There's two different groups of people here who receive different safety instructions.

Guest travel only sat on the floor inside empty waggons. They are assumed to all have no knowledge of the railway or the operation of the train. They are not involved in the operation in any way so the have no need to stick appendages out. They are just along for the ride. Best to err on the side of caution with these people.

Sitting on the side of empty waggons is prohibited for everyone.

Brakesmen are required to sit on the side of loaded waggons to carry out their duties. I.e. access the brake leaver. They have prior demonstrable knowledge of the railway and the operation of the gravity train. Most are experienced loco crew. They are instructed on the correct way to sit, how and when to get on and off and a myriad of other things. They receive their own separate safety briefing before the trip. The clearances on a slate waggon are good provided you follow the instructions given and this is well policed. It is a lot worse on the locos to be honest.

On up trips the head brakesman will instruct to crew to assist with braking in certain locations such approaching speed restrictions or signals to keep the train strung out. As the journey is mostly up hill and the train drags quite a lot, careful driving is usually sufficient to control the train without resorting to the loco brake. In an emergency the driver can whistle up and all the crew will apply their brakes. The crew know to do this straight away without further instruction from the head brakesman. Driving of unfitted trains is a separate qualification of the FR with drivers given further training in how to handle them.

From what I understand the Blodge tours will be accessed by a shuttle train from Port. The details of this are still being finalised. Parking at Blodge is strictly staff only.

Hope that makes sense.

alastair, FLHerne, Sheff and 9 others like this.
  5. MellishR

Thank you. I had assumed that the brakesmen would be appropriately trained and instructed but wondered why, even so, they would have enough clearance.

6. 45669

Retired
    Two Garratts and a mixed train; not a sight you see every day!

TTFN,

Ron.

7. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well, we had a wonderful ride up and down from Blaneau on the Mountain Spirit, and then I hopped in the car to do some gentle chasing to get a few shots away from the train and stations (mostly). It felt like they had some operational difficulties yesterday. The mid day trains felt late leaving, and James Spooner left with the Mountain Spirit set and returned with the vintage set.

That said, we had a fantastic day, spent too much in the shop. Packing up in our hotel before heading to Spooners for another breakfast and off on the road on our trip.

I’ll be writing up more fulsome reviews with videos when I get back to Canada next week. Making a conscious effort to not waste previous vacation time trying to sort pictures and write blog posts!

Cheers,

Stephen

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  8. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Hope you are having a great holiday & you are being made welcome. Apologies for the Welsh weather, it is Spring - honest!

SG-Canada likes this.
  9. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    No I do not currently volunteer
    James Spooner broke down at Tan Y Bwlch

We were on the Victorian and there was an engine change

I was told that the two ends were heading off in different directions

At the moment we are heading to Beddgellert but after a delay crossing the main line there has to be a change of footplate crew

SG-Canada likes this.
  10. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Thanks, we are having a great vacation. We know the risks of April in the UK, we came prepared and we make do. It’s a long overdue and needed escape and change of scenery!

Stephen

acorb likes this.
  11. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Well not a good day today

We went to Beddgellert from Porthmadog

Delayed crossing the Cambrian which was clearly beyond the WHRs control then the footplate crew had to be replaced at Pont Croeser (why) which causes further delay

The timetable meant we planned to have lunch on return to Porthmadog but as we didn't get to Beddgellert until 12 we and most of the other passengers ended up trying to get something to eat there.

Then there was a loco change which meant waiting for the arrival of the Carnarvon train so we ended up very late back at Porthmadog

12. DBLM Dave

DBLM Dave New Member

Another fantastic 'Snowdonian' special (20th April) - with coverage of the 11 carriage train on its journey from Porthmadog to Blaenau, back to Boston Lodge, and then on to Caernarfon and back. Featuring Linda and Blanche (with Lilla as pilot to Minffordd) on the Ffestiniog and then James Spooner and Merddyn Emrys for the Welsh Highland (piloted by Lyd on the return from Dinas). Excellent weather, locomotive performances and all-round great organisation.

13. MellishR

How does one find out in advance when they're going to run a train all the way on both lines?

14. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Try https://festrail.co.uk/pdf/fwhr-base-timetable-2024.pdf
    This is their base timetable - other trains may be added if demand is tthere. Scroll down for the WHR timetables.

Steve B

15. MellishR

Thank you. That PDF lists The Snowdonian and various other events without explanation, but I have now found the details elsewhere on the website. I may come for The Snowdonian II.

Steve B likes this.
  16. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  17. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  18. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  19. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

I came across this footage of a footplate ride on the Snowdonian, and I thought it might be of interest.

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk

Fish Plate, Steve B and ragl like this.
  20. 45669

Retired
    I've just got back from ten days in North Wales, so I've got a video or three to edit and upload to YouTube. Here's the first two:

TTFN,

Ron.

ragl and andrewshimmin like this.