If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

FR & WHR & WHHR News

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by AndrewT, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Hunslet589

Hunslet589 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The simple answer is yes... As I understand it, one of the drivers for the PBSSR was to provide a route for a powerline from the generating station near Beddgelert to customers in Porthmadog/Criccieth. But they could never really raise the money - never mind for the wider schemes.

With respect to the later WHR, I feel the thinking was something along the lines of providing the transport link that would stimulate the economy of a poorly developed area, generating the traffic to make it a viable concern. Hence why the local authorities of the time got involved, borrowing money to make it happen. But it was never enough to do a proper job, meaning the service was poor - just as road competition really got going. The end result was fairly inevitable.

andrewshimmin, pete2hogs and 30854 like this.
  2. 45669

45669 Member

Retired
    Morning All,

I've put another short video from 1991 on YouTube if anyone would like to have a look. It shows M E departing from Blaenau and a blue LINDA bringing a train in. There is then a ride on the train up to the summit. Hope it's of interest:

TTFN,

Ron.

taliesin1999, clam1952, 30854 and 3 others like this.
  3. 45669

45669 Member

Retired
    The 'Hunslet Hundred' steam gala in 1993 drew quite a crowd and was highly enjoyable. I was there with my video camera and the first instalment of the footage taken over that weekend is now on YouTube. I hope you like it: