If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

FR/WHR and WHHR relations

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 48DL, Nov 10, 2009.

1. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Hi. Both Rons and Rogers photos are rather grand but I agree its a fantastic photo opportunity. taken photos in a similar place along the cob before now. evening shots on there are unbelievable says I with a humble digital camera.

Regards

Duncan

2. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Call that a view?

Pah. Come over to the Dark Side if you want some proper scenery.

3. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    [BANTER]
    The word you missed there was rubbish.
    [/BANTER]

4. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Billy, would you like to explain the post above and edit the attempt to get round the swear filter with something more appropiate for a thread that is accessable to all, including non members?
    So far the thread is going well with some good points being made by all. We don't need another locked WHR thread.

Thanks, Neil.

5. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

Havig looked at the photo I am not sure whether this posting is meant to be ironic or you are actually being serious!

6. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    He's not a fan of cars produced by the Spanish subsidiary of Volkswagen?

7. Idriverussell

Idriverussell New Member

Playground stuff, totally unnecessary.

8. Lez Watson

Lez Watson New Member

Retired office worker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I drive a S**t and I don't think it's s**t at all.

[A nod to AST.]

9. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Andrew I have been over to the other side. There's great photo opportunities from both lines.

Getting back on topic any developments on the Loco side of things.

Regards

Duncan

10. pjm

pjm New Member

Train Planner, Network Rail
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Was at Warley model railway show and all WHR groups where round the K1 together which has to be a good sign

11. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Sorry I will add some Sarcasm tags around that post.

It wasn't an attempt to get around a swear filter(I didn't knwo this exsisted), it was just I thought I'd put stars rather than a swear word.

12. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    You could have said the same thing during World War 1 when British and German soldiers laid down their weapons on Christmas Day and came together in "no-man's land". The following day they returned to their respective trenches and resumed the war.

Chris

13. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Give it a rest

And you think resuming the war was a good thing? Can we not just be grateful that progress is being made?

14. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    It is very unlikely that the two opposing factions coming together for a day or three on neutral territory would be the reason for any lasting peace, particularly here on the interweb. I'm only a humble neutral observer with no allegiance to either side in what is clearly a very long-term dispute. I'm only drawn to this topic, at least here on this forum, because of the entertainment value provided by the several ardent supporters of both sides who clearly don't understand the importance of knowing when to button their lips, but instead prefer to continually further fuel the dispute.

Mr T, I note that you titled your posting "Give it a rest". That's all very well, but I would remind you that YOU are one of the principle combatants in this ongoing war.

Chris

15. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    That isn't the impression his last post gives. As a neutral I suggest that, for the greater good, you would do well to encourage reconciliation on here, rather than trying to fan the embers.

16. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Give it a rest (again)

This thread is rapidly degenerating! Give it a rest, and discuss the situation productively - anything else gives a very bad impression to the rest of the world!
    As has been said elsewhere "If you can not say anything nice about someone, or something, then better to say nothing at all!"

17. triassic

triassic Member

It has got to be an encouraging step in the right direction to see the two parties come together at the model show, lets hope this is just the beginning.
    Questions for the WHR experts. Again I was very encouraged to see the "Heritage" work being carried out at Tryfan Junction Station. I love seeing stuff like the old point rodding being unearthed after all these years.
    Are trains going to be stopping there from next season?
    What`s with the concrete platform edging? There are, last time I visited N Wales, several 100 million tons of slate waste kicking about so couldn`t a locally sourced, recycled material be used instead of concrete?
    Wouldn`t volunteer/financial resources be better spent on upgraded facilities at Beddgelert Station rather than the sleepy backwater of Tryfan junc (lovely spot that is)

18. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    To try and answer a couple of the issues raised.

As far as the concrete this was probably the most cost effective solution for the edging. Something is needed to contain it as if it was made with the waste I doubt the edge would stay vertical for very long. Other options would of been brick or stone so it was cheaper with concrete. Between the edging the slate waste could be used but I don't know the details of what is being used as a fill.

Regarding volunteer/ financial resources it was mentioned elsewhere that its been funding by the WHR society as a project within itself. Although one could argue Beddgelert may need investment more than Trytan at the end of the day where they want to fundraise money and spent it lie with them.

Regards

Duncan

19. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    As infrequently as possible hopefully - that's if the halt is actually adopted by the operating department... who seemed to know nothing about the construction of a platform!
    Duncan is not quite right... The restoration of Tryfan Junction is a 'Welsh Highland Heritage Group' project - a different body from the Cwmdeithas Rheilffordd Eryri / Welsh Highland Railway Society - and is supposedly funded from donations that would not have been available for use elsewhere...

20. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Tryfan Junction

Wasn't there a plan to make the Bryngwyn branch into a footpath or cycle track ? If that is the case then presumably there would be some demand for trains to stop at Tryfan Junction, perhaps on a request basis.

Richard