If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Foxfield Gala 18th & 19th July 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Glenalmond, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    IIRC my first visit to the Foxfield was an M&GN "day out with a difference" special. JT Daly giving footplate tides up and down the pit yard. Train to Blythe Bridge and back was Hawarden banked by no.35. I'll have to check the date.

2. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

I look forward to the return of Works Number 2995 if only in spirit! It would be lovely to see either of the surviving SCOW duo at Foxfield but only if in a proper livery. Much prefer the basic steel works livery to the fancy Austin job but either would be better than what they have carried in preservation.

When employed at Port Talbot in the 1990s I found a box full of official photos in the Transport Manager's Office at covering the 50s and 60s. Loads of pics of the Brush/Bagnall/Alco diesels and some of the three Bagnalls. I often wonder what happened to them - hopefully they are safe somewhere.

3. 37255

37255 Guest

Gets my vote, regardless of the livery! Far too young to remember them in service, but I remember victor as a local monster at shack! \:D/

4. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
  5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

and where are Victor & Vulcan now ?

6. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Victor awaits overhaul at Lakeside and Vulcan is now "Thomas Burt MP" at North Tyneside and in regular use.

7. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Some great stuff been posted from everyone who attended the gala, great to see what we looked like with Bellerophon, and it's a great way for those of us stuck on an engine to see what the others were getting up to. We only ever get to see the other locos when we cross. Thanks guys for all the videos and photos, keep em coming and see you all in 12 months time =D>

8. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Reviewing the event via the forum has been great, all points noted - the astek who caused the problems has not been identified ( to us ) hence no action to date.

Visitor figures were up, costs were up ( !), we did make a profit hence we can do it again next year. I think that the event will stand more trade stands next time, if you are interested let me know - some booked already. Visiting loco, things dont always work out and can go wobbly days before the event so way to soon to speculate. Suffice to say I have some contacts to follow up and have made a start tonight.

Own fleet to include Dubs on the bank next year, lots to look forward to.

It has been interesting to note how the forum figures have increased year on year. I hope we answered all questions with speed and gave accurate answers - in line with what was planned and agreed by the board ( for the most part ).

Almost time to put this to bed, will keep a eye on things and respond if required.

9. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    Just as a coment, would it be viable to run guardsvan trips only down to Foxfield instead of a coach, you could charge extra for this of course?

10. Avonside1563

The story of the mock up coach will all become apparent in due course. All I can say is watch out on TV at Christmas this year =D>

11. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

Sad to say 401 is out of service needing a new firebox, perhaps a new boiler. I am sure that she will visit one day however.

12. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM

From a distance someone thought it was a real coach until a few other enthusiast pointed out the lack of floor and plywood drawhooks! Until you see the underside it does look convincing.

One question - Do I have to sit through the dross on TV over Christmas to find out the story of the replica coach body? I'll be out pruning fruit bushes on Christmas afternoon and the day after boxing day - my goodwill to all men will be strained by then ......

Cheers, Neil

13. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

I had to sign a contract on behalf of the Society that prevents any comment from Foxfield. I dont think that you will have to sit in font of the TV for hours to find out - my guess from the amount of filming that was carried out is that the trailers will feature the railway and that you will know when to sit down with a turkey roll. It will be a major feature during the xmas holidays.

14. Avonside1563

The future of the mock-up body is not in the hands of the Railway as it was left for the farmer as recompense for the use of his field. We have no idea what he will do with it but I would presume it will be broken up in due course and the wood used for other things.

On a lighter note I believe that the mock-ups were so authentic from a distance that the lads from Tanfield, who's coaches had been hired in as part of the filming, were horrified as to what had happened to their coaches when they first arrived at the railway to see how things were going! #-o \:D/

15. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    Ahem! Less of the plural... there was only one person who was horrified... I was in on that part of things!

16. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

What we can say is that the two Tanfield coachs with Bellerophon looked fantastic on our railway.

Most of our members are convinced that this is the way forward for us, Our two Knotty coach's have waited 30 years but things are moving to restore them ASAP. Lets not forget that "paddy" trains were a feature in industry, in our area there were a number of places where loco's in industry work over the main line for the benefit of the workforce.

I wonder when the last paddy train ran - I have a view and it may be latter than you think..

17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Dave,
    I ran a charter at the Tanfield with Wellington on three vintage carriages. Looked absolutely great and a pretty good recreation of a Dido in my opinion. I know the passenger rolling stock used on some systems was never in the best state of repair and you wouldn't want your NS carriages to look tatty but I wholeheartedly agree they'd look fantastic behind locos such as Bellerophon.

Rgds
    Ian

18. Ratty

Ratty New Member

agricultural contractor
    me and Avonside 1563 had a game of chicken downthe blythe bridge line, see how far we could go down. It was an emence run up afterwards

19. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

In 2012 it will be 100 years since there was an accident forcing the temporary closure of Norton colliery. Robert Heath & Sons hired a rake of Knotty 4-wheelers and ran apparently unfitted 'paddy' trains using their own locos over the Knotty's line between Ford Green and Norton for around six months. I guess preferred motive power was the six-wheeler No.11 but maybe even the 4-wheelers had a go too. Must get the vacuum off No.6 for the recreation in three years' time!

20. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

The Knotty trust had its AGM today - wont be long before the chassis for No 61 is finished, the chassis for No127 is finished.

You will have to come forward many years for the date of the last paddy train - I think it was in South Cheshire...

No time for you to chatter Old Mr Heath - we need you running with Bellerophon next year, hope you have a plan !.